Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Year's Eve  (Read 10599 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
New Year's Eve
« on: November 23, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »

:-\ ……. I know that many people congregate in public spaces to 'see in' the New Year.  However, with the upheaval in the World right now and with our security and Police Forces etc. stretched, should it be avoided this year?  Some would say that by not continuing daily life 'as normal' what ever that is; is 'giving in' to those who don't like our style.  However, I feel that our Police and other Emergency Services have enough to do without the worry of possible atrocities in UK Capital Cities. 

Shouldn't we be putting our ideals of getting 2-gether 2 1 side and think about our Emergency Personnel - after all they will be at risk if we congregate.  I don't need to be with others at any time of the year, haven't done a collective celebration for years  ::) due to anxiety and looking over my shoulder all evening would send those levels flying ! 

Our Police Forces are being cut back.  Financially and physically.  At a time when we need more feet on the ground and more presence!

SadLynda

Re: New Year's Eve
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »

Thats a very scary (and good) point CLKD.

I havent 'done' New Year since before my daughter was born.  These days it is spent in bed early with one of the dogs dosed up on rescue remedy ready for the blitz outside:(

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »

I have never been out in public spaces at New Year, not even in my youth. Always been with family/friends indoors.

However, I feel that if folk want to, it's their choice. My future DIL was in London one New Year, she & her friends wanted to experience the whole thing. However, by about 10.3O none felt safe due to the huge numbers & headed back to their flat & brought in New Year there.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »

Is it choice any longer though?  Shouldn't people have a bit of sense and stay away from public areas - so that the Police can get on with policing?

We are all entitled to be kept as safe as possible but if people insist on going to 'un-necessary' events ……….  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:10:08 AM »

It does make sense but it would give the terrorists what they want - a feeling of terror stopping people leading a normal life.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »

I agree Taz.

Think folk should still go out, but be aware of your surroundings.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »

It's not 'giving' anyone anything other than the Police the opportunity of doing their 'job' with less people to worry.  I can't get this 'giving in' attitude whether it be to taking medication 1 doesn't want to take or because of the times that we find ourselves living in.

It's being sensible ……… you could say that by grouping together in crowds that you play into the hands of the terrorists: all those people in one place, exactly what they need  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »

Eh?  By that argument we might as well all stay in and never go anywhere where people congregate together!

I mean that's what we do as a species or society or culture. We go to things together. We celebrate - be it theatre, concerts, festivals, demonstrations, transport, sports event, big public celebrations - eg royal processions or fireworks.  Any big event requires policing and the money has to be found otherwise we would be in a situation where large events were banned.

Yes of course any large grouping of people is a potential terrorist threat, but horrific though it is, we should not be permanently curtailing our freedom in the face of this threat. I mean planes/cars/trains crash but we carry on using them because statistically the likelihood of our dying in one is small. It is still very scary but as Taz says the terrorist threat plays on fear and aims to destroy our way of life through these dreadful and insidious random acts.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 08:36:34 PM »

New Years Eve isn't essential though.  It's a drain on already drained resources although the day has shown that the Police cuts aren't being carried through as threatened - don't know if the decision by the Chancellor is due to the Paris atrocities  :-\.

I often wonder how, in the Middle Ages, people coped with constant potential aggravation of high-way men, attacks by various incomers to the islands ……….. 

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:22 PM »

I get what you're saying but if New Year's Eve isn't necessary neither are concerts, art exhibitions, weddings, funerals, air travel, train travel...If we avoided any event where a large number of people were gathered together, life would become very narrow for many people.  And it wouldn't stop terrorist attacks - they would just target smaller groups more often. 

Everyone is making a huge fuss about Paris because it is so near to us, but large numbers of people have been dying in other countries for years & it's barely mentioned on western media unless a western person is killed. 

Personally, I haven't celebrated new year for years since I finally realised I hate being out that late!  I'm usually in bed by then & just sit up to watch any fireworks through the window!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:03:58 PM »

It's not avoiding areas where large numbers are per se but at events that are not necessary.

Family events are necessary …. and hopefully no-one has to tolerate 1000s at their weddings  ;D.  The Davis Cup is going ahead in Ghent this weekend after careful consideration with extra security - I feel that the public should expect that level of security anyway  >:(.  Hopefully the Tornament will go without incident.

Public museums etc. should be protected but as seen in Egypt a few years ago, it isn't always possible because people are so mobile now.  The element of a fast attack when least expected, the element of surprise and shock makes it easier for public spaces to be targeted.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:57:12 PM »

I'm not sure why public museums should be protected but other large gatherings shouldn't? It is imperative that we all go about our normal business as usual.

Taz x

Dulciana

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »

A friend of mine and her parents used to go from neighbour to neighbour at Hogmanay, winding up at the last one at about 5am.  They always had a great time, first-footing, eating black bun and enjoying whisky (I think!).  No need to stand in the centre of town with thousands of others.  Great fun, sociable and safe.  Why not do whatever's traditional, locally (if anything is), than risk who-knows-what on the city streets?   :-\

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 03:11:25 PM »

Dulciana - good point.  Lump of coal rings a bell?

limpy

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »

It's not avoiding areas where large numbers are per se but at events that are not necessary.

CLKD you've commented before that you don't like large crowds or events, fair enough. I don't enjoy such things either but to criticise such events as unnecessary sounds quite like you want stop such things because you don't enjoy them! Many people do enjoy such events, you/we are not obliged to attend.
Pages: [1] 2 3