Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is this normal...  (Read 2549 times)

Nicky84

Is this normal...
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »

Hi ladies,
I'm in early surgical menopause at 31 and a lot of changes are happening which are very frightening. I've been on HRT for around 4 months now and after a few initial hiccups I'm finally on one that agrees with me and my hormones are starting to settle. However I have the odd day where I feel strange... Today is one of them. It didn't help that I didn't sleep well last night (my anxiety always seems to be worse on Sunday nights) I woke up early for work and was ok first half of the day but then this feeling started to come over me- the only way I can describe it is like a lightheaded dizzy foggy feeling, like my head is going to explode and my chest feels funny like it's difficult to breathe properly. I had 3 coffees today as I thought I was just tired and it would lift but it hasn't. I feel like the slightest bit of stress I can't cope with anymore (not like I used to) and I keep making silly mistakes at work. I'm worried that my work is going to suffer and I'm slowly going mad. Are these feelings I have normal for early menopause, is there anything I can do to ease these strange feelings?  :'(

Briony

Re: Is this normal...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:16:20 PM »

Hi Nicky, you describe perfectly how I've felt on bad days since I was 39/40. Now on the BCP and it's much better, but I do still get the odd blip - see my recent 'light-headed' post (the one when I was convinced I was about to die all day  ::)). I had assumed, once on hormones (I started on HRT and moved to a low dose pill) I would no longer get these weird symptoms, but this is definitely not the case.  A number of other people have recently had similar similar issues - including lots of the younger members. I know this wont stop your blips, but hopefully it'll reassure you you are not alone. (I should add that if it's a new symptom, or doesn't go, you should of course get it checked out - but it does sound hormonal). Good luck x          :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:01:30 PM by Briony »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »

Nicky84 - welcome to MM
So tough to have to cope with such early meno problems.  Do tell us why you had the hyster and what HRT you are using? What dose of HRT are you using as well? You are describing very typical meno symptoms - brain fog and low mood are common and getting the right dosage is vital. I'm sure other ladies who have had a hyster will be along with advice and support.  My understanding is that it can take time for your body to adjust to not getting the hormones you would naturally produce and finding the right balance of hormones through HRT that will keep you feeling good.

It also takes time to really recover from surgery as your body has had a major onslaught that will take time to heal. Keep posting - we are here to support you.  DG x

Nicky84

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »

Thank you for your replies. I had both ovaries removed due to huge cysts. I was put on Elleste duet at first but I was all over the place on that, so now on Femoston 2/10 which works better for me. It's just these odd days like today. Even now I feel like I can't catch my breath.
I know after I've slept I'll be ok and tomorrow I'll think what was that about. Just hate these days, feel so sad and I'm trying so hard to be strong and put on a brave face. Its horrible to not be able to talk to my friends about this as they wouldnt understand.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »

Cut the coffee  ;)

Nikki180515

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »

Hi Nicky

I am having similar problems too.  This surgical menopause is no joke!   I had my hysterectomy in May this year, everything removed, due to family history of cancer.

I am usually a bubbly person who doesn't let things get me down and I was fine on 1mg of sandrena gel, while I was off work.  Since going back full time as a teacher, I have suffered from anxiety, feeling complete til overwhelmed, can't focus on my work, feel I can't do my job and very weepy and exhausted!

After getting responses on this forum, I have booked a doctors appointment to discuss upping my HRT as think I need more to help me at the moment.   

I too can't talk to my friends about it, well I can talk to them but they don't understand as they have not been through it.  Also being a surgical menopause I think we get it worse than a natural one!

Keep your chin up and hopefully things will settle down for us in the near future, least we have this forum to talk to people!

Nikki xxx

Briony

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »

Nikki, really hope you get a positive response from your GP. I presume you're younger, in which case you may need a higher dose. Some of us have even found we need the 'control' of a BCP to control our crazy hormones (I take a bio identical one more like HRT than a conventional pill). My system went haywire after a difficult miscarriage and I think, like you, the 'shock' to my system at a younger age resulted in more severe symptoms (ie weird ones) compared with my mum's experience of a more natural meno in her late 50s. I'm in the same profession as you, so I do empathise. There were days when I would be trying to control a class of teenagers yet I could hardly keep my eyes open or even remember their names,  let alone know what grades their essays were. I would sometimes sob in the loo at lunchtime from the sheer exhaustion and isolation. I would feel guilty telling anyone how awful I really felt as it was 'only' my hormones, after all. Bad memories.

Hang in there; there are solutions, but it takes time. Use the support of the experienced ladies on here (two of those who've massively helped me have replied to your post already  :)) .There's always someone around to lend an ear and offer great advice -  so  you'll get the confidence to fight for the support you need. x

Briony

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »

Ps I have just re read my last post and it sounds insensitive   ???. I was not meaning to suggest teachers have it harder than anyone else. Meno and any job is a hard combination. It's just our 'clients' are not the easiest to explain hormonal issues to - guess they've got enough of their own to grapple with!