Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Day 5 Citalopram - encouragement needed please!  (Read 15482 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Day 5 Citalopram - encouragement needed please!
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »

Hello All

I am super sensitive to taking medication and have started 5 mg, for now, of Citalopram. Even on such a minuscule dose I get dizzy, drowsy, shaky and an upset tummy. As soon as these settle, I'll increase it up a bit. I know we are all different but anyone got any advice please? It's really hard to take an AD when you have underlying health anxiety. Oh and my anxiety levels have increased too 😓
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:05:10 AM by Mis71Mum »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: Day 5 Citalopram - encouragement needed please!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »

Hi Sparkle - thanks for your reply.

My GP wants me to get to 20 mg eventually. He doesn't mind that I effectively taper up as it were as long as I do eventually. I think my side effects are quite common for this medication, so I hope to stick with it. It's just that I always think of worse case scenario every time! Just hope for the old me to come bouncing back soon, I feel like I've been waiting for her for ages 😕

orchid

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »

Hi Mis71mum I know how you feel I am super sensitive to AD's too. I recently had to stop the try cyclic Dosulepin because it was making my palpitations worse. In the past I tried an SSRI and the anxiety was awful, so I refused to try any of those from that group I am currently taking Mirtazepine 30mg having increased from 15mg in the last two days. I was assured by my gp that most people in the practice are taking 45mg. They haven't made me feel anxious at all and the reviews online are good....just waiting for them to help my mood. I hope this helps, as it maybe an option for you to try if you don't settle on Citalopram
Is anyone else on Mirtazepine?

peegeetip

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »

Hi Mis71Mum

you mentioned dizzyness.

This drug is known to often reduce blood pressure and this can cause dizzy spells or faints when taking it.

The reverse is the same when coming off this drug.

When dropping it down again or stopping completely your blood pressure can bounce back at a higher level with all the risks associated with that.

:-\

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »

I'm on 10mg per day. I started it earlier this year for anxiety. Doctor warned me that I'd feel worse before I felt better. After 2 weeks side effects had vanished.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »

I have been away from the forum for 2 weeks and have felt very low.  I have just spent half an hour here and feel better.  Perhaps the medical profession could bottle the forum and give it out on prescription  :)

Seriously though, there is a place for medication but sometimes it is given out too readily.  I am not sure whether I am ready to go down that route and am still resisting it due to fear of side effects and dependency.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

I have been away from the forum for 2 weeks and have felt very low.  I have just spent half an hour here and feel better.  Perhaps the medical profession could bottle the forum and give it out on prescription  :)

Seriously though, there is a place for medication but sometimes it is given out too readily.  I am not sure whether I am ready to go down that route and am still resisting it due to fear of side effects and dependency.

Babyjane, I couldn't agree more! This forum has kept me going through some very difficult weeks. On here, I don't feel alone or isolated. There are so many ladies willing to give advice and support.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:50 PM »

Hi Mis71mum I know how you feel I am super sensitive to AD's too. I recently had to stop the try cyclic Dosulepin because it was making my palpitations worse. In the past I tried an SSRI and the anxiety was awful, so I refused to try any of those from that group I am currently taking Mirtazepine 30mg having increased from 15mg in the last two days. I was assured by my gp that most people in the practice are taking 45mg. They haven't made me feel anxious at all and the reviews online are good....just waiting for them to help my mood. I hope this helps, as it maybe an option for you to try if you don't settle on Citalopram
Is anyone else on Mirtazepine?
Hi Orchid - on a previous thread, I remember a couple of ladies who were taking 45 mg each. I think they rated in as a good one.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »

I'm on 10mg per day. I started it earlier this year for anxiety. Doctor warned me that I'd feel worse before I felt better. After 2 weeks side effects had vanished.
Thanks cubagirl
Will keep plodding on then. You never know I may only need 10 mg. have some diazepam for back up and emergencies but so far not used them.

dazned

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »

Me I'm on mirtazapine. Took about 2 weeks for the drowsiness to abate then it was fine ,must say that the anxiety disappeared within in days . Give it time although I know it's not a nice place to be in until you adjust,I do empathise.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »

20mg is the usual starting dose.  I have had many side-effects to various ADs over the years, I can't tolerate the nausea with any of them.  Your brain should become 'used' to 5mg by Monday don't be in a hurry to up the dose until you are used to any odd feelings  ;)

I take 5mg a.m./p.m. without problems.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »

Hi CKLD

Yes I think you're right, the feelings are odd! And will keep to the 5 mg until Monday. I know it's early days, but although I've lost my appetite, I haven't had any nausea yet.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »

How do you feel 2-day?  By now you should be 'used' to any strangeness  ;).  I feel strange in my head and legs today because I couldn't take my meds last night  ::) but I know it will pass.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »

Hi CKLD Thanks for asking after me, I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I hardly made it off the settee but today after about 4pm, I came round a bit.  I didn't get dressed but I cut the grass(in my onesie), swept a few floors, showered the kids and had a bath.  Was doing okay, then got a shot of anxiety out of nowhere, and i'm back to square 1 again.  It really upset me.  Then I started a downward spiral of thoughts thinking that i'll never get well again.

Tried to distract myself best I could.

Upset too because my Mum almost told me to pull myself together earlier.  It's not her fault as she's never had to take AD's before.

How come you didn't take your meds last night, were you poorly? Hope you are okay now xxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

Mums  :kick:  - I stopped telling mine how I really was feeling after she told me in 1988 when I had my first ADs 'don't lead your husband a dance as your father led me' - no support there then!  In 1992 'Oh your poor husband' …….  >:(.

People don't get it! if we could 'pull ourselves together' we wouldn't need chemical support  :bang:

I have had a head cold = snuffles and slight queasiness: therefore I didn't take my evening BB or AD ……. hence the wooziness during the day  ::)

Like U, I often thought 'I will never be well again' and 'what if I eat and it makes me feel worse'  :'( - for years! until the BBs helped ease any queasy feelings when it became less.  Phew! 

Of course, you probably got up and at it without eating?  ;) = sudden drop of blood sugar which can cause anxiety surges.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4