Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ankle Agony  (Read 5081 times)

toffeecushion

Ankle Agony
« on: September 16, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »

I have been having aches and pains in my knees and ankles over the past months and now my ankles are getting unbearable.  At times I am finding it difficult to walk.  Anyone else have it this bad, is it peri or something else.  I am at the doctors about it on Friday, but the last time I mentioned it she said it was because of my weight :( 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ankle Agony
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »

Excess Weight won't help but maybe ask for an X-ray of both ankles to see if there is wear and tear which can be treated with appropriate pain relief.

Those small ligaments around foot and ankle can become stiff too …….. when DH walks I can hear them clicking  :o

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 06:29:31 PM »

I am not overweight. Five foot one and a bit, and eight stone seven.

I have knee and ankle problems, it's arthritis. Nothing much you can do except stay as active as you can and use anti inflammatory meds. Unfortunately my stomach does not accept them, so I use the cream that you rub on. I also use fish oil supplements.
A lot of people swear by glucosamine but my GP says it's a preventative but if you actually hurt its too late to take.
If you can hear clicking noises then it's almost certainly arthritis.

This getting older rubbish sucks  ::)

Honeybun
X

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »

I had a blood test for arthritis a while back and that was ok.  I have crepitus in my knees, but at the moment they are not painful.  It's my ankles, it's so painful .  The most painful one has a lump over the achilles tendon as well. I seem to ache all over at the moment.  Would osteoarthritis show up in and xray or blood test?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:39:34 PM by toffeecushion »

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:54 PM »

X-ray I think......my knee problems started with crepitus years ago. When I first heard it I thought my shoes were making a funny noise. Em no.

I have had X-Rays that showed wear and tear. Physiotherapy, and acupuncture. My right knee is always swollen....it's fluid.....I had ultra sound to scatter the fluid which worked really well.....for a month  ::)
My sister has the same and has had keyhole surgery to clean up the joint....worked for a couple of years.
She now has an appointement in a couple of weeks to discuss a new kneecap.

I can't stress enough how important excercise is. Any physio will tell you it's important to build up muscle in the thighs to support your knee.
If you rest things they get much worse. Swimming is also really helpful. It's the same with your ankles, you need to stay mobile.

Have you seen your GP.

Honeybun
X

Briony

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »

It was definitely hormone related for me. I was running 40 miles a week at the time, so docs assumed it was a sport injury. It hurt so much I was convinced it was broken and was on crutches for days (could not wear normal shoes for months). Was ortho consultant who said it was a neuropathic pain and eventually it was linked to water retention impinging nerves - I still wear special socks in fear of triggering it again!

rosie c

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »

achilles tendonitus is very painful and you can have a lump it can cause bad ankle pain.  I had it last year.. am 51 and still peri. The only thing that really helped was faschia release with an expert physio. google tendonitus and menopause ... interesting reading. I ached all over at the same time as well ... its definately hormones. My gp was useless. ! x

LellyM

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:33 AM »

This is very interesting - I have been fighting Achilles tendonitis (opathy?) for months. It is extremely painful. I had physio for weeks and acupuncture but nothing helped. At its worse I had to crawl out of bed to get an ice pack then strap that to my heel and go back to sleep.

But since I have been taking the various meno vitamins it seem to be improving (coincidence?) . I also take Glucosamine every day for my knees and that works wonders. I find if I take 2000mg a day my knees don't hurt

L

angelindskiexx

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »

The Achilles tendon was the first place it all began with me.  It wasn't until I had acupuncture that the pain went away completely. It has never returned although I do have pain elsewhere now.  I sympathise.

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

Another one here - both achilles tendons hurt and get really stiff if I'm fresh out of bed or a chair. Assumed it was meno related - so acupuncture might help? Any other ideas? I do run - more like 10 miles a week - and really want to keep that up.

rosie c

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »

yep ... had the elbow pain as well . if it wasnt the ankle it was the elbow. x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »

Osteo arthritis i.e. 'wear and tear' is diagnosed by X-ray and certain physical examination.
Rheumatoid arthritis can be confirmed by blood tests.  Very often the joints in fingers, wrists are swollen, hot and painful.

Gentle ankle movements can ease pain ;-).

any condition ending in 'itis' = inflammation  ;)

toffeecushion

Re: Ankle Agony UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »

Been to see my doctor today and have been told it is achilles tendinitis.  Been advised to rest and exercise - work that one out lol.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »

Oh I get sharp pains in my ankles too. But it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I actually get the pain down the outside of my heels, like someone has kicked me there with hob nailed boots! Only get it early mornings though but it makes me hobble like an old lady.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »

Sitting down moving both ankles inwards and outwards i.e. round and round …… = rest and exercise  :-\

Pages: [1] 2