Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Too much estrogen ?  (Read 21393 times)

Annie0710

Re: Too much estrogen ?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »

Shame there's no pee stick that shows levels of oestrogen/progesterone and testosterone!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »

God yes, that would be great Annie. I'm sure my anxiety would lessen if I knew categorically whether it was low/hi oestrogen causing my issues?

As I was still having regular periods before, I wonder if by adding extra oestrogen via HRT that some of the month I may have too much of it? And other times too much prog?

When your own hormones are still in the picture it must be next to impossible for HRT to create a stable emotional mood balance through the while month I think?

I am convinced this is why I am stuck in this mood cycle of 1 or 2 'good' weeks followed by a 'bad' week followed by another 'good' week followed by a 'bad' week etc, etc.

:( :( :(

Briony

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

Shame there's no pee stick that shows levels of oestrogen/progesterone and testosterone!

I think there's a saliva test . Isn't that what Toffeecushion used?

Briony

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:32 PM »

God yes, that would be great Annie. I'm sure my anxiety would lessen if I knew categorically whether it was low/hi oestrogen causing my issues?

As I was still having regular periods before, I wonder if by adding extra oestrogen via HRT that some of the month I may have too much of it? And other times too much prog?

When your own hormones are still in the picture it must be next to impossible for HRT to create a stable emotional mood balance through the while month I think?

I am convinced this is why I am stuck in this mood cycle of 1 or 2 'good' weeks followed by a 'bad' week followed by another 'good' week followed by a 'bad' week etc, etc.

I am in the same boat. Seem to have symptoms of both excess and deficiency, even more so when I was on HRT  :-\
I can only think it's actually the fluctuations rather than absolute levels that are affecting us particularly? I also think that you need to consider the estrogen/progesterone balance/relationship rather than considering the levels separately.

I also think it's unlikely we are reacting to excess estrogen by itself as, still being relatively young, aren't our bodies expecting a higher level? I have friends in their 40s on a much higher dose of pill than I am who have no symptoms at all.

Confusing!! X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 07:07:31 AM »

Yes, think you're right Briony. Are your friends in the Pill for HRT?

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »

I am in the same boat. Seem to have symptoms of both excess and deficiency, even more so when I was on HRT  :-\
I can only think it's actually the fluctuations rather than absolute levels that are affecting us particularly? I also think that you need to consider the estrogen/progesterone balance/relationship rather than considering the levels separately.

I also think it's unlikely we are reacting to excess estrogen by itself as, still being relatively young, aren't our bodies expecting a higher level? I have friends in their 40s on a much higher dose of pill than I am who have no symptoms at all.

Confusing!! X

I agree and by what my history is, suggests that
Age 32 - hysterectomy
Age 32/33 - menopause symptoms(oestrogen very very low) so started max oestrogen hrt until present day (16 years)
Throughout this time I did still ovulate, not every month but maybe every 2-3 which indicates my ovaries were still producing oestrogen and progesterone
All those years NOT ONE hormonal problem
Age 45 - sudden decline in health - diagnosed peri, and my problems have never eased, oestrogen always been high, progesterone almost (or could now be) non existent

I've always had a niggling feeling that progesterone could be the answer but because I have no womb I treated as a nutcase

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »

GRL _ yes, a number of my colleagues take it for cycle control and/or HRT as well as contraception. Aged 30-47.

Annie - Have you thought about moving to a COP? This was something I saw discussed on hyster sisters   http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php't=196299

I really like the sound of Yasmine as it's so anti androgenic (I have had hair loss previously) and it also helps with bloating and mood (it's a diuretic and lower level progesterone). However, I am also aware of the increased risk with the more user friendly third/fourth generation pills, hence my reticence: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Media-hype-blood-clot-risk-of-birth-control-pills.aspx

Annie0710

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

Briony

I am having terrible hair loss at present, at the bottom of the side effects are they saying Yasmin can cause hair loss or are they saying hair loss is a symptom of low progesterone

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/yasmin-side-effects.html

I'd try anything to stop my fine hair shedding at the rate it suddenly is

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

For some people, moving to any form of additional hormone (especially synthetic) can cause hair loss. For people like you and me whose hormones are already causing hair loss, a non-androgenic/less pre progesterone dominant one should help.

This is a useful table - the more the pill is to the right, the more oestrogen dominant (and hair friendly ) it is x

http://www.avongpeducation.co.uk/handouts/2012/youngpersons/The%20pill%20ladder.pdf

The prgesterone in Yasmine, like Dienogest in Qlaira, is very new, hence reason not all 'hair friendly' lists refer to it.

Annie0710

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »

I don't take any progesterone though ?
I wonder because progesterone is zero or near to, maybe testosterone is kind of dominant?

I don't know which way to turn on this

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 09:12:37 PM »

From what I could see, some members of hyster sisters - all had hysterectomies - were saying they needed progesterone, hence they lady taking Yasmine? I agree, all so confusing!

toffeecushion

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »

I think there's a saliva test . Isn't that what Toffeecushion used?

Yes, I did a saliva test for estrogen, progesterone and testosterone

Annie0710

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »

From what I could see, some members of hyster sisters - all had hysterectomies - were saying they needed progesterone, hence they lady taking Yasmine? I agree, all so confusing!

Women that had endo before hysterectomy still need progesterone afterwards
I didn't have that just total prolapse but the only hormone that dropped during meno is progesterone (which taking progesterone has a poss side effect of hair loss) BUT when progesterone is high during pregnancy we don't shed hair ? That happens after the birth when prog levels fall dramatically, so it all contradicts itself !

Annie xx

Briony

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

I think it's the more synthetic and androgenic progesterones that cause hair loss. In general, it's the lack of oestrogen and progesterone which cause hair loss (my mum lost loads after she gave birth). Utrogestan (which is bio identical) definitely made mine better - but it shed after stopping it! I have friends taking Levonorgestrel (via Microgynon or Mirena etc) who've had hair loss and acne as a side effect, which I presume is because they are very sensitive to its more androgynous properties.  Most hair loss organisations recommend opting for a more oestrogen dominant, anti androgenic pill, if you want to try the OC.

http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/tp/ProgestinTypes.htm

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »

How do they find the Pill works for them Briony?
Pages: 1 [2] 3