Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is this the menopause?  (Read 2110 times)

DebbieKH

Is this the menopause?
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie too. My name is Debbie and I'm 52. 10 years ago I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids but I was left with my ovaries. Over the last year I've been experiencing hot flushes day and night, mood swings, low libido, tiredness and I've become teary. My question is do I need to go to the doctor to confirm that this is the menopause? I am taking Centrum for women 50+ at the moment but I've only been taking them for a week, so don't know if they are making a difference. I would prefer to take natural supplements rather than go on HRT. I would be grateful for any thoughts you ladies have. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this the menopause?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:24:40 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds like it from where I'm sitting. You are in Good Company!

Have a browse of the pull-down menus, top of screen.  Make notes.  Your GP may well do blood tests, which can be reliably un-reliable  ::) in saying where abouts in peri menopause we have arrived at!

I'm sure someone will be along with more info about HRT.  Ask any question you want!

DebbieKH

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »

Thanks I'll do that. :)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »

Hi Debbie - welcome from me too.

It sounds as if it is meno that you are experiencing - right age and normal symptoms. You may like to visit your GP to get an overall  health check and discuss future options.  I didn't have any joy with natural remedies and eventually went onto HRT which turned my life around. It depends on the symptoms you are hoping to alleviate. I'm sure others will be along soon with suggestions.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM DebbieKH
It does sound as though you are suffering with meno symptoms.  Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up.  Many women feel they don't want to use HRT as they feel this is 'giving in' or shows 'weakness' in some way but there are many women out there suffering because they have been scared off by the negative press or by poor advice from GPs.  It is a very personal choose as to whether to use hormones and it will depend on how the symptoms are effecting your day to day life so only you can decide whether you feel you wan to give it a try.  Do please bare in mind that because you have had a hysterectomy you will only need oestrogen to reduce your symptoms so any risks are very,very low and there is now evidence that 5 years of oestrogen in our 50s can be beneficial for the long term health of our bones and heart. Many standard drugs are derived from natural sources such as plants and some vitamins and remedies we purchase over the counter can have risks if not taken correctly but the oestrogen in HRT you will get from your doctor will probably be bio or body identical so is a natural substance and just replaces what our bodies would produce - so one coudlargue that you would be using a natural remedy if using something like an oestrogen patch or gel.
I am certainly not advocating you should use HRT, as I said before it is a personal choice - just don't discount it as you might be surprised how much better your feel with a little bit of oestrogen. My next door neighbour had a hyster about 10 years ago just like you and was suffering just as you are - I suggested she read this site and she went to the GP armed with some printouts and now, 3 months on with a bit of oestrogel once a day, she has her energy back and is really enjoying life. DG x

DebbieKH

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »

Thank you so much for your advice and support. I have been to my GP and I am now on oestrogen only HRT and I am already feeling the benefits. It is such a relief after suffering so much. I feel much more like my old self again.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »

So pleased to hear this DebbieKH - I hope you will continue to feel good on oestrogen for years to come. I often wish I had had a hyster, as being on oestrogen alone is great as there are fewer risks and problems with bleeding - basically, if you don't have health issues that prevent you using oestrogen you can stay on it for the rest of your life as it's the progesterone that tends to cause the problems and risks.   Dg x