Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Help please utrogestan continuous and bleeding  (Read 16802 times)

jayneaddo

Help please utrogestan continuous and bleeding
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »

Hi all

I have posted a few times in the last week and not had much response. Anyway here goes. I started utrogestan 100mg every day 10 days ago initially vaginally and changed to orally. Also started on 50 mcg estradot patch. Was on 1/5 femosten continuous and 25mcg estradot patch that I sometimes cut in half. Plus carrying on with vagifem. I was changed as gynaecologist thought I needed the oestrogen but also needed more progesterone and better control. I had had episodes of bleeding and some thickening of womb lining.

Anyhow taken a few days to settle down had headaches and bloating. Was sore vaginally which is why I changed to oral route. I suffer with interstitial cystitis so it doesn't take much.
Then on Thursday I started to spot and now have full on bleeding and cramping. My question is is this normal? I didn't expect any bleeding. Will it settle down. My foggy head and tiredness is clearing. In the first few days I was very temperamental and edgy but that also seems easier.
Is anyone else on this regime?
Any advice?
Many thanks
Jayne

dazned

Re: Help please utrogestan continuous and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »

Hi I use utrogeston but sequentially so can't really be of much help however I have seen others say that they had break through bleeding at first until it settles down. Hopefully someone who is on this regime can give you more reassurance soon.

Spangles

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »

Hi
I use evorel 50 and utrogestan 200. I tried 100 for 25 days but 200 for 12 days suits me better. My bleed has dwindled to almost nothing now, however I do suffer from extreme PMT and very bad pain but I always did before meno. I also have fibroids which make the pain worse. I would try and stick with it as it does get better for most women who use this regime.
Shellb
xXx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »

HI jayneaddo
It is quite normal to get bleeding in the first few weeks or even months when starting a continuous regime of HRT (this is using oestrogen and progesterone together every day) it should settle down but if you had some thickening of the uterus then you may need this bleeding to really shed the lining. Changing HRT regime will bring side effects that should settle over the first 3 months. I also get horrid burning and discomfort around my urethra and vagina and use Vagifem alongside full HRT - though I have chosen to use Oestrogel and Utrogestan in a sequential regime as I'm rather sensitive to any progesterone - I find it can aggravate the bladder. I hate having the withdrawal bleed but at least I know when I'm going to bleed.  BTW - I'm 59 and have been on a wide variety of HRTs over the last 20 years.
I hope that helps.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Hi jayneaddo

I'm on the same as Shellb - 50 mcg Estradot and 200 mg utrogestan (which I take on a long cycle of 6-8 weeks) - so not quite the same.

As Dancinggirl says you will expect some side effects as you body acclimatises but hopefully this will settle. I can see why you might have had thickened lining on your old regime as you had the proprietary brand of oestrogen/progesterone and then added oestrogen without extra progesterone. As Dancinggirl says you will need to shed this thickened lining or hope that the continuous progesterone thins it.

The other observation I would suggest that as you changed from vaginal to oral progesterone - your prog levels will have dropped (more is absorbed directly to the uterus when used vaginally) - and it is the fall in which will trigger a bleed - but only if there is lining to shed.

Glad you are feeling better in yourself and do hope this regime suits you!

Hurdity x

Dacia Felix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 12:05:34 PM »

I have no bleeding by using HRT continously; I take Utrogestan (100mg orally) before going to bed five days a week along with one dose Oestrogel (Bessins) in the morning. Saturdays and Sundays are my HRT days off. 
Too much progesterone can give bloating, it happens to me if I go for a 200mg dose for a longer period of time. In these rare instances, I stop the entire HRT for a week, to allow my body to settle.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:07:42 PM by Dacia Felix »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »

Dacia Felix - Hi and welcome to MM
You have a very strange HRt regime - this is not a continuous HRT regime - this is very 'off license' so assume you must be under a private gynae?
The whole idea is to keep a steady dose of oestrogen everyday to prevent fluctuations in meno symptoms so I'm surprised your 2 days off each week don't bring side effects and possibly some bleeding!!! You taking a very low dose of oestrogen though, so perhaps don't need quite so much Utrogestan. It is important to use enough progesterone to keep the womb lining thin so perhaps you have regular scans to make sure this is not building up?
I am under a private gynae and use Utrogestan sequentially - 100mg for 12 days each month and I'm using a little over one pump per day of oestrogel so quite a low dose.  I will have to have a scan in about 18 months to see if my womb lining is building up though.
Keep posting.  DG x

jayneaddo

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »

Thanks all. Hurdity I have had the same thoughts about both my previous regime and the move of route from vaginal to oral. I am persevering and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Jayne

oldsheep

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »

I can only tell you what happened with me when I was put on to Utrogestan 200 every night (and various forms of oestrogen, also continuous). I had cramps and bled a lot.
Eventually I was moved on to 100 Utrogestan and it settled down almost immediately.
Hopefully your hormones are going through a period of adjustment to the new HRT. Did you have a scan? If your womb lining is v thick, maybe that's why you are bleeding as much as well.   The clinics like to wait 3 months for a woman to adjust to an HRT before making any changes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »

Sorry that you felt ignored  :-\