Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Laryngopharyngeal Silent reflux (LPR)  (Read 29955 times)

justaboutcoping

Re: Laryngopharyngeal Silent reflux (LPR)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »

Hi katejo, tablets aren't big but you have to chew them first and I found them a bit slimey and stick to your teeth! Didn't like them at all. But just personal preference I guess. The liquid is not nice either but it's over quicker lol

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »

I just bought the Gaviscon Advance.

It's gloopy but goes down quickly and I did not have much success with the pills and they take ages to chew or dissolve.
Can't remember who it was that said its like swallowing a goldfish  ;D

I really have noticed quite a difference. I'm hoping to stop the Lansoprazole and just use this as needed eventually.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »

That's good Sparkle, it's nice to hear of any improvements.

Have to say my stomach feels as if it's gone on strike a bit. No gurgles at all. Just a sort of slow feeling. Better than the other option though.

You never know one day things might be perfect for us both  ;D.  Some hope eh ?

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »

I feel bunged up but I'm not, everything working fine.

It's a strange feeling. Having got some relief I don't want to stop taking what's helping just yet.

I wonder at what point there is too little acid which I know is not great either.
Just have to try a few things and see what works.

An apple sounds good, might try that tomorrow.

Daughter is just in from work saying one of her work mates had a stomach bug and was sent home. I dodged it from mother I really hope we dodge it this time too. There seems to be something doing the rounds here. It's the last thing my digestive system needs  ::)

Honeybun
X

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »

I have just had a stomach bug too. It hit me last Sunday.  The sickness only lasted 1 day but the other symptoms lingered all week.

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

After having bought the wrong type of Gaviscon I have eventually got the advance one.

Wow, what a difference it has made. I now take one 15mg of Lansoprazole when I waken up. Then Gaviscon after lunch and before bed. I actually feel a bit better. The extreme lump in my throat has eased although not completely gone for the first time in weeks. Throat clearing is much less too.
My only slight issue is something, pill or gloop, is reducing my appetite. I'm just not that hungry although once I start to eat it's ok.
Anyone else found this happening.

That is a small price to pay for seeing an improvement though as I was beginning to despair.

Honeybun
X

Is your lump in the throat/throat clearing continuing to improve with Gaviscon Advance? I have just bought some to try.

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 12:41:28 PM »

Yes it's much better than before. Instead of being there all the time it's getting less and less.

I hope you have success with it too, let us know.

Honeybun
X

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »

Yes it's much better than before. Instead of being there all the time it's getting less and less.

I hope you have success with it too, let us know.

Honeybun
X

Have you had a tightness in the base of throat/top of chest? I have had the lump sensation for more than 10  years but only started getting the tight feeling last summer.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:51 PM »

I put the tight feeling down to indigestion because when I burped it eased a lot.

I have almost got rid of the throat lump. It's there in the morning on the run up to lunch but then when I eat it eases a lot. As the day goes on it gets less and less and by the time I have had dinner it's almost gone.
I take 15mg Lansoprazole half an hour before breakfast, then if I need it ....which I haven't for about a week now....some Gaviscon after lunch then I always take two spoonfuls just as I go to bed. I don't have anything to drink after my Gaviscon. I'm often thirsty before bed but I have plenty to drink and then take it. It seems to work for me.
I have also cut out drinking tea. I like a really strong cuppa and that was the first thing I had in the morning. Inhave changed to Red Bush as its much more gentle on my tum.

Honeybun
X

patunia

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »

Hi,
I was diagnosed with LPR at the end of march, as far as I a aware I have no thyroid problems.
I started with having problems with swallowing dry foods which then progressed to phlegm in my throat and what felt like post nasal drip.
I was advised do life style changes first  ie avoid alcohol and chocolate ...which surprisingly I have managed to do, don't eat late at night which again I have been fairly successful, not to wear tight clothing. I take gaviscon at night and try to avoid acid foods.   If that didn't work start with omeprazole x2 daily and gaviscon advance. (liquid) after each meal.
The phlegm is still there I did try the omeprazole but it just gave made me feel worse. The problem is I don't suffer with heart burn etc. unless I eat crusty bread, white wine which obviously I have stopped so I don't know when I am having the reflux! Which is extremely frustrating.
I have managed to loose 6lbs in weight not surprisingly considering stopping wine and chocolate.
The only thing that makes it feel any better is chewing gum..it looks awful but it does work.
I have changed my diet, changed my life style, read practically everything on the internet, bought 2 books about dropping acid and am still none the wiser. ;(
I am going back to the ENT tonight have a feeling he might put camera up my nose again to see if things have improved.

Katejo

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

Hi,
I was diagnosed with LPR at the end of march, as far as I a aware I have no thyroid problems.
I started with having problems with swallowing dry foods which then progressed to phlegm in my throat and what felt like post nasal drip.
I was advised do life style changes first  ie avoid alcohol and chocolate ...which surprisingly I have managed to do, don't eat late at night which again I have been fairly successful, not to wear tight clothing. I take gaviscon at night and try to avoid acid foods.   If that didn't work start with omeprazole x2 daily and gaviscon advance. (liquid) after each meal.
The phlegm is still there I did try the omeprazole but it just gave made me feel worse. The problem is I don't suffer with heart burn etc. unless I eat crusty bread, white wine which obviously I have stopped so I don't know when I am having the reflux! Which is extremely frustrating.
I have managed to loose 6lbs in weight not surprisingly considering stopping wine and chocolate.
The only thing that makes it feel any better is chewing gum..it looks awful but it does work.
I have changed my diet, changed my life style, read practically everything on the internet, bought 2 books about dropping acid and am still none the wiser. ;(
I am going back to the ENT tonight have a feeling he might put camera up my nose again to see if things have improved.

Hi Patunia

I am still not 100% convinced that my LPR diagnosis is correct . I have had the lump in the throat feeling for over 10 years but i don't have a phlegm problem at all and i think my throat clearing is perhaps to do with the thyroid surgery which I had. I have recently started Gaviscon but haven't seen any benefit yet. I also don't have heartburn. I haven't made major diet changes after reading the book which i mentioned in one of my previous entries. I have just switched to caffeine free tea/coffee and avoid eating large amounts and late at night.
I saw an ENT consultant back in January. Have you ever had the experience of seeing a consultant for something and then they write to your GP but say something completely different? The consultant appeared to suggest a very strict diet to me and said he was going to write to my GP. i heard nothing so i chased it up last week. In his letter, he made no mention of diet and just suggested Gaviscon advance and possibly one of those PPI drugs which I don't want to take.

patunia

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »

Hi,
I went last night, now because nothing seems to be any better he suggests having a pep test to definitely confirm that it's acid reflux before changing the PPI s. Acording to my reading on web sites, forums etc. it's not unusual symptons for mucous to continue.
So really none the wiser !
Patunia x
Pages: 1 [2]