Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Confused, Utrogestan query  (Read 5364 times)

jedigirl

Confused, Utrogestan query
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:11:40 PM »

As some may know I continued my usual 1-25 days Utrogestan into the next cycle without the usual 3 day break as i had to travel and didn't want the usual horrors that arrive with the break.
 I'm on day 12 of the next pack but don't feel right. My boobs are sore and one in particular lumpy around the nipple. Had checked at GPs and he said he couldn't feel a lump but maybe thickening and to go back in a few weeks. Health anxiety in overdrive  :( Also my mood is jittery and fearful,waking early in a panic again, not helped by sore boobs and tonight i noticed  vaginal mucus has pink look to it as if I'm trying to bleed again (10 days since last very light bleed).
I guess all this points to hormone upheaval but not sure whether to carry on with Utrogestan or have a good break, maybe two weeks to try and have a better bleed. Will i mess up my cycle too much?
I feel as though I'm living my life in fear, waiting for the next scare and not enjoying the well days. Sick of it all. Sorry to be miserable.  :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Confused, Utrogestan query
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »

Taking progesterone continuously will sometimes produce some spotting for the first 6 months and I get sore boobs when taking utrogestan which is quite normal. You are basically taking a continuous regime - I'm not sure why there is normally a 3 day break with this regime!!!!!????? Many women do take Utrogestan continuously without a break. I wouldn't worry.  DG x

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:27:01 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl
I wish I didn't worry, could make a living out of it these days :-\
I guess its the boob thing thats worrying me. Do you get actual lumpy boobs. I've never had that and its making me so anxious.
Had a lovely day out with my beautiful family and it kept consuming all my thoughts  >:( so annoying.
Thanks for replying x

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »

I'm so confused  ???
Having a heavier bleed today, boob still sore with lumpiness. If I'm bleeding now should i stop Utrogestan for a while. Am looking at John Studds website;
The best method of taking bioidentical hormones would in my view be Oestrogel 2-3 measures daily with the possible addition of transdermal testosterone gel and then Utrogestan 100 mgs daily for the first 7 days of each calendar month. This would bring about a regular scanty bleed on about the 10th day of each calendar month.

I have felt better without the dip i got from reducing progesterone but wondering if i have too much now. My body feels like its trying to do something and as I'm bleeding, so tired and sore boobs i guess it must be the progesterone?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »

jedigirl - I think it is very normal to get some bleeding even when taking Utrogestan all the the time, especially if you are still peri or early post menopause. I wouldn't stop the Utrogestan - the bleeding will probably settle down. As I mentioned before using a more continuous progesterone regime will result in some erratic bleeding in the first 6 months or so.  Tender and lumpy breasts are a side effect of Utrogestan. DG x

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »

I'm on 100mg Utrogestan daily, no bleed. The meno clinic at the hospital want me on that so I don't bleed. Once you have bleeds, they have to scan.....such is life with cutbacks. When I was on 200mg at night, I bled a lot, and heavily. They were nonplussed as thought more progesterone = no bleeding at all. Proof was in the pudding, when I lowered the dose it stopped.

Anyhow, I'd be a bit careful self medicating based on John Studd's website. Have you seen him? He works differently from the NHS meno clinic consultants. He seems to use a lot less progesterone. Presume his patients are scanned regularly? If you aren't a patient of his and things go wrong, it might be tricky with your normal doctor who doesn't know how he works (?). Don't think it's even possible to get testosterone on the NHS?

I'm currently trying to work out if my cow's udder needs milking type boobs are from oestrogen or progesterone!

jedigirl

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »

Thank you both,
I'm sorry, my anxiety is overriding all rational thoughts today. In my sane moments I can tell myself its "just" hormones but the fear is still there. This morning, I am disorientated, teary, bleeeding, all hormonal stuff I know. :-\
Old sheep do you take estragen in any form? Just curious as it has been mentioned to me that a progesterone only regime might suit me.
Thanks again xx

jedigirl

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:40 AM »

Hi all, my bleed has become heavier today, not spotting more like a proper period.
 I feel sick   too and weak. I don't understand whats going on. Anyone had this on a similar regime (1-25 days Utrogestan). I have an appointment with a doctor this morning but I've seen him before and hes clueless re menopause so don't know whether to cancel and wait for female doctor. :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

On a conti HRt regime it is normal to get bleeding for the first 4-6 months and if your own hormones are still having an influence then this will also trigger some bleeding. DG x

jedigirl

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl
I understand but I'm confused that I had a light bleed two weeks ago and now a full period like bleed, along with the nausea. Will I still need the three day break. Should i switch to the 12 day regime if i need to bleed this much?

jedigirl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »

Ps I saw the GP this morning who referred me to a breast clinic for the lump and tender boobs.
He also told me my last oestradiol result came back at 133pmol which seems low considering I've been on HRT for nearly 9 months?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

jedigirl - I've forgotten your age and whether you are still peri menopausal ? Very strange you have such a low oestrogen level considering the amount you are using. How much Oestrogel were you using when this test was done?.  This would indicate you are not absorbing the oestrogen, which does make it odd that you are still bleeding so much!!!
I get an oestrogen  reading of 400 - 600 on 2 pumps of Oestrogel!!!
I doubt you would need another 3 day break - I'm not sure why the 3 day break is in the regime - possibly to allow a bleed if needed but as you have already bled quite a bit I suspect it shouldn't be necessary for another break for 28 days.
There have a been a few ladies posting on MM reporting low oestrogen levels despite quite high doses of Oestrogel or patch - as transdermal is considered an efficient way to administer oestrogen it makes me wonder whether there are other factors preventing proper absorption???? Do you apply it on clean dry skin and allow it to dry fully before dressing? Do you apply it to inner thighs or upper arms?
I have to say that my breasts get very tender when I'm using Utrogestan but I'm only using it sequentially so don't tend to feel tender while on the oestrogen alone.
Good to get the lumps checked but I have to say you are a mystery!!!!  DG x

jedigirl

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »

Hi DG,
I'm 45 and peri.
I was using two pumps at the time. I think i may have got into the habit of putting my clothes on too quickly though as sometimes the gel sticks to my pjs(put it on at night). I apply to inner thighs.
This is the first full bleed I've had for a while and feel so washed out. I'm considering using it sequentially as can't get bleed int the right place and so tired on constant Utrogestan. Do you think i could start like that when bleed finishes? Would i start on gel only for 14 days then Utro for 14? I'm on 100mg of Utro.
Maybe because I was having such light bleeds I just needed a bigger bleed to shed lining? I'm trying not to think too deeoly into it as already worrying about lump.
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »

If you are peri then your own hormones may have done a spike and this would cause a heavier bleed.  I am certainly not an expert on this - Hurdity is the one who might be able to advice you better.  You certainly need to be more careful about applying the oestrogel to get it to work properly - if you are not getting the same amount each day because you don't let it dry properly then this would cause fluctuations as well.  You might  dobetter with a patch that would be less hassle for you. If you use Utrogestan sequentially then you should usually use 200mg for 12 days each month so you would need to check with your gynae or GP about using 100mg on a sequential basis - some women can do this but usually in post meno because you may need more progesterone in peri to produce a proper bleed. I think trying to use this regime of Utrogestan on a conti basis may not work that well when still peri meno as the chance of erratic bleeding is more likely.
I would ask advice from your doctor about trying sequential again.  DG x

dazned

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »

I use utrogeston sequential for the last 12 days but think like me you might need 200 mg however Im no expert try Hurdity.
Pages: [1] 2