Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Heavy period after have little or no period for over 6 months  (Read 26176 times)

lellie

Help. I am 55 and I have had hit and miss periods for over eighteen months was pretty certain in April 14 that I was menopausal as I had not had a period for six months and was having hot flushes I went to the doctor as I was feeling a bit run down.  I was told you are not classed as being menopausal until you had not had a period for 12 months I was advised to take iron tablets as I was slightly anaemic I took them for 3 months.  I had a period in June 14 and then regularly for the next 3 months.  I then had a couple of spottings then nothing since October 14.  For the last week I have had quite bad abdominal pain and an upset stomach that settle down 3 days ago and then 2 days ago I started a period and have been losing heavily with no sign of stopping.  I have never taken HRT and apart for the hot flushes I have been very lucky and had a relatively easy time compared with some women.  I just don't know what to do about the bleeding and am not sure whether i should be worried.  I have never had particularly heavy periods and it is something I didn't think I would have to worry about at my age, I had to go out and buy sanitary towels again today.  Has anyone else had this type of experience

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Heavy period after have little or no period for over 6 months
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »

Oh sounds really familiar  ::)  :welcomemm:

If the bleed is really heavy and long-lasting your GP can prescribe medication to stop it.  Of course, being meno-brained, I can't remember the name of the product  ::) (Neuro?) I'm sure someone will be along with the name.

My periods were intermittent.  Often months apart then a bleed several times then a break - for 2-3 years.  Then it stopped but I continued to carry sanitary protection for 5 years  ;D - in case  ::)

Have a browse, menus top of screen.  >wave<

cherylks

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »

CKLD were you thinking of Tranexamic acid ? ?  Just wondered cos funnily enough I have just had to rummage around to find these tablets this evening as after not having period for a couple of months I have gone back to very heavy longlasting bleed and thinking I may need to take these again. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 08:52:09 PM »

That could be the 1  ::) - pity there wasn't such a medication when I had periods which were awful  :-\

Eddie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »

This is my concern too, I have been off hrt since mid December last year, had a short period almost immediately and nothing since. This week I have bloating, back pain etc. all the stuff that came with a period. I am worried that it's going to be really heavy. I have taken tranexamic acid before, about 17 years ago when my periods started becoming really heavy and clotting bad.
Typical though it's a busy time as I'm having a party this weekend for a completely unimportant birthday. ;)
Eddie. X

lellie

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »

Helps to know others have this issue.  I thought by 55 I would be well into the menopause shame nature doesn't have any rules  :) .  Will definitely find time to visit the doctor if the bleeding continues.  It is difficult sorting out what is normal and what is something to be concerned about when everything menopausal is different for every woman.

toffeecushion

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:28:43 AM »

I missed a period last month and it has been followed by a long heavy one.  My gp said it is normal in perimenopause.

Cherylks - how long do your periods last?  The last time this happened to me it lasted 53 days, this time it is about 3 weeks but still going strong.  It helps so much knowing that I am not the only one.

cherylks

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 06:58:20 AM »

Toffeecushion, this period has been going on for about three weeks.  My longest period went on for about 3 months!  A mixture of mega heavy and very light throughout.  Other than a small fibroid everything is apparently 'normal'.  The longest I have gone without a period is 3 months.  So reckon I have a long way to go yet. 

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Eddie - does the birthday have a 0 in it  ;D

Eddie

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:08 PM »

CLKD. It certainly does. :)
Eddie. X

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »

Hi lellie

:welcomemm:

As you say strictly speaking it is perfectly normal - and you haven't yet gone 12 months without a period.

Did you flushes stop before this bleed started, and did you have other usual pms signs ( tender boobs, blotaing, headache etc)? If so then this is a sure sign that it is a proper period and nothing to worry about. Unfortunately episodes of very light and very heavy bleeding are all normal in peri-menopause.

However, if you had none of those signs, then in view of your age it might be as well to go along to the doc just to get checked out, as you haven't experienced heavy bleeding before. For example maybe you have developed a small fibroid which would cause heavy bleeding?

Hurdity x

Mich12

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 11:27:27 PM »

Help. I am 55 and I have had hit and miss periods for over eighteen months was pretty certain in April 14 that I was menopausal as I had not had a period for six months and was having hot flushes I went to the doctor as I was feeling a bit run down.  I was told you are not classed as being menopausal until you had not had a period for 12 months I was advised to take iron tablets as I was slightly anaemic I took them for 3 months.  I had a period in June 14 and then regularly for the next 3 months.  I then had a couple of spottings then nothing since October 14.  For the last week I have had quite bad abdominal pain and an upset stomach that settle down 3 days ago and then 2 days ago I started a period and have been losing heavily with no sign of stopping.  I have never taken HRT and apart for the hot flushes I have been very lucky and had a relatively easy time compared with some women.  I just don't know what to do about the bleeding and am not sure whether i should be worried.  I have never had particularly heavy periods and it is something I didn't think I would have to worry about at my age, I had to go out and buy sanitary towels again today.  Has anyone else had this type of experience

I am so sorry you are going through this. :( Years ago I had heavy periods for no known reason so I had an endometrial ablation and it helped. Now I am 47 though and my periods are very sporadic. I haven't had one since January and I fear when it comes again it will be heavy. :( I dislike heavy bleeding so much as it scares me. My heart goes out to you, (((hugs))) I would call the doctor just to make sure he/she is aware and perhaps they can give you something to slow it down too.