Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Rheumatoid arthritis question  (Read 4299 times)

Poppysnanny

Rheumatoid arthritis question
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:35:20 PM »

Blood tests for severe joint pain show that my rheumatoid arthritis 'marker' is high and increasing with each blood test, mobility is getting worse and I now move like an elderly lady.  Can't take the prescribed meds because of nausea and have tried several different ones.  Living off paracetamol and ibuprofen.   Mt question is - does anybody know if I'm likely to improve when I come through the other side?

Poppysnanny

Re: Rheumatoid arthritis question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »

Thank you Prajna - sorry yes I did mean the other side of meno and you are right - my gps response was wait and see!  I've just ordered some kefir which I have read can help with auto immune problems - hoping that is going to help!,

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »

I hope that you are under the care of a good rheumatologist Former optimist? Which are the medications which have caused you nausea? My dad had RA so I appreciate what you are going through.

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »

If these increasing RA marker results are from GP blood tests only, make sure you are referred to a rheumatologist and treated by an expert.

Which drugs can you not take due to nausea?  If you do have RA (or some other problem that a rheumatologist treats), there's a huge raft of drugs to go at - it can take time to find the one that works for you without causing intolerable side effects.  I have psoriatic arthritis (symptoms pretty much like RA, but not symetrical - my joints are not affected equally on both sides) and have been treated successfully in the past with methotrexate - I couldn't race taking it orally is it causes nausea and vomiting in a majority of people taking it and I have a phobia of vomiting.  So I had it via weekly injection (done by the nurse at first, then I learnt to do it myself) and, when taken with the prescribed folic acid supplement, I had very few side-effects and no nausea to speak of.  I had to stop taking it after 18 months due to other problems with it (it's a powerful drug and they monitor you very closely when you're taking it - some peole can take it long-term, others - like me - can take if for a while then need a break), but am close to asking to go back on it as my arthritis is flaring again and I want to kick it back into its box!

Talk to your doctor - if you haven't god a rheumy, get referred now, if you have, have a chat with them or the rheumy nurse.  You should be able to find a more effective treatment than paracetamol and ibruprofen for long-term use, but it might take some trial and error. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »

As paracetamol is a very dangerous drug you would probably be better off 'under the care' of a Rheumatologist.  Gold injections can be used to good effect into the affected joints.

A friend of mine suffers badly in the UK but in Greece has no problems at all  ::)

Hormones can certainly be a factor in RA - I had another friend who during pregnancy was wheelchair bound by the time she delivered and it took another 2 years before she was well enough to walk  :'( …….

Your GP should have referred you immediately to a Rheumatoid Consultant!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »

I thought that there was a more recent thread on RA but can't find it  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »

I didn't dream it then  :-\

Maybe because it was un-related to menopause  ???  :-\

elsie001

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 11:20:02 AM »

I was diagnosed with Juvenile Inflammatory Arthritis at 7 and am now 50.  After 20 years of remission (on no meds at all), my arthritis flared up when I was in my early forties.  It was horrible, I was hobbling around like a 90 yr old. Even lifting the kettle was an effort!  I'm convinced it was triggered by my hormones going haywire - my Private Rheumy disagreed so after 35+years of having him as my Rheumy, I went elsewhere - I've reached a stage in life where I'm not going to be talked down to by anyone!

I don't know how much Ibuprofen you're taking daily but you might find you need a gastro-resistant med to go with it eg Omeprazole or Lanzoprasole, to protect your stomach lining.

Treatment plans have changed greatly over the years - 20 years ago they would have started gently with anti-inflammatories, now they seem to prefer the 'hit it hard' approach with disease modifying drugs. Understandable really, as uncontrolled arthritis can cause irreversable(sp?) damage.

The most common 'Dmards' are methotrexate and sulphasalazine.  I've been on the latter for around 8 years now and find it great.  If you did start either of these, you would be monitored closely with regular blood tests at your GP surgery.

It's pretty impossible to say what the long-term outcome is for any form of arthritis (of which there are hundreds).  However, finding the right treatment is key and once on the right treatment, life can go on as normal for most people. 

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »

I have RA in my family history
Grandad had RA.  When he was my age he looked 80 and died at 69 but he also had emphysema from being a smoker.

there just wasn't the knowledge or treatments back in his day.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »

I don't think that people die from RA.  It can affect over-all quality of Life, I know one girl who had to fight for a total hip replacement at the age of 35, 'far too early' said the Consultant/s ……. but she found a Surgeon on the NHS and her Life improved immensely.  She had the 2nd replacement, same side, when she was 50.

It can be triggered by hormones as it's an auto-immune disease.  Some women get problems in pregnancy which improve 1-2 years after delivery.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »

He died of cardiac failure CLKD, RA can affect the heart, so can diabetes and also emphysema.  He had all 3.  His poor heart gave out when he was visiting his daughter.  this was in 1965 and things were very different then.  I wish I could have known him but I do remember him.  His mother had RA and so did one of his daughters.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »

Learn something every day -

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/comorbidities/heart-disease/ra-and-your-heart.php

My dad had RA and was severely disabled by the end of his life but, surprisingly, his heart was still really strong and healthy. My mum had late-onset diabetes which led to heart disease and vascular dementia. I have a half brother who is also now in a home due to dementia brought on by his late-onset diabetes.

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »

Mum was very lucky then on that score.  she escaped the RA although she had the diabetes, PA and Hashimoto's.  Her heart was strong and healthy into her 80s.