Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Urine Culture Negative for Infection but I Still Have Bladder Pain  (Read 16412 times)

Taz2

Re: Urine Culture Negative for Infection but I Still Have Bladder Pain
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »

The Vagifem stopped it for a while but then I went onto full HRT which stopped it for a few years but then I developed more cystitis type symptoms (aged around 58) so went onto Vagifem as well as HRT. Everything was then normal.

Taz x

Mich12

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the replies and will definitely discuss vaginal atrophy with my doctor when I get this bladder issue done.

I saw the urologist today and he sent me for blood work and on Friday I have to get a CAT scan with and without contrast. I also have to get the cystoscopy in two weeks. I am TERRIFIED of the contrast - has anyone else had it and is it that bad?

He tested my urine and it showed no infection but it showed microscopic blood - a moderate amount. Has anyone else had this?

Maryjane

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »

Regards it will take years for NICE to recognise the bladder wall infection and treatment plan........before seeing The Professor i do now...I saw a different uro/gynae who is on the board of NICE and he also treats bladder wall infections amd said the way UTIs are treated is completely wrong.....and the reason we are in this mess is because of the three day treatment that GPs dish out........he said GPs should think outside the box more which they are allowed to do........the guidelines are not set in stone and if it was as simple as a three day course of antibs then we wouldn't need to go to the GP a just diagnose ourselves and off to the chemist.

Also what these doctors think privately and are allowed to do on the NHS are two different things....vagifem is definatley part of my "layers of the onion" but not all of it, and I have had to spend a small fortune to get my health to where it is now( still not there ) but about 80% better than this time last year , and it has all had to be off my own back.......and I have avoided any invasive tests unless absolutely necessary and my own research suggests this is appropriate......as to many people I no are made worse......don't get me started on the over use of nerve blocks for nerve pain............

Jenna

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the replies and will definitely discuss vaginal atrophy with my doctor when I get this bladder issue done.

I saw the urologist today and he sent me for blood work and on Friday I have to get a CAT scan with and without contrast. I also have to get the cystoscopy in two weeks. I am TERRIFIED of the contrast - has anyone else had it and is it that bad?

He tested my urine and it showed no infection but it showed microscopic blood - a moderate amount. Has anyone else had this?

Hi Mich,

I haven't had a CAT scan, but I had a kidney x-ray with dye, and that was nothing to worry about at all. When the dye is injected they warn you that you will feel a hot flush passing over you. I'm not sure if it is the same for a CAT scan though.

If you look back on this thread to the last few posts, you will see that we have been discussing red blood cells in our urine. I had a cystoscopy as well as the kidney x-ray investigations and no reason was ever found for mine and I was told not to worry about it. I suspect now that it was the beginning of my vaginal atrophy.

Hope all goes well, Mich. Are you in the UK, by the way?

Jenna x
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:12:41 AM by Jenna »

Jenna

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »

The Vagifem stopped it for a while but then I went onto full HRT which stopped it for a few years but then I developed more cystitis type symptoms (aged around 58) so went onto Vagifem as well as HRT. Everything was then normal.

Taz x

Thank you Taz.       :foryou:

Jenna x

Morwenna

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »

Jenna I had the microscopic blood right at the start of menopause four years ago. That's when I had the cystoscopy which found no reason for it. No one suggested VA! It was me who made the connection when I started with hot flushes three months later. I asked my GP for HRT and it all cleared up. The problems with bladder pain last year were caused by the discontinuation of the Ortho Gynest pessaries I had been using successfully which my GP then replaced with Gynest cream - later found to be something I couldn't tolerate. I imagined Gynest cream would be the same stuff but clearly it wasn't! My most recent UTI was caused by having sex twice in the space of 24 hours...  silly me! I sometimes forget I'm no longer in my twenties!  ::)

Jenna

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 07:39:40 AM »

Thank you for replying Morwenna. It does seem that we have to diagnose our own problems in relation to all this - honestly I really do despair.

I also used to use Ortho Gynest pessaries (but I don't know whether they stopped the red cells in my urine, as sadly I don't think it was ever tested during that time). I think they were much more effective than the Gynest cream (now called Estriol for those that aren't aware!). I did try Vagifem, but it seemed to dry me out and I think I felt swollen and I remember that it hurt to sit down, so I went on to Gynest cream then. Also a gynae I had seen during that time had said Gynest would be better for me because of my undercarriage soreness (a more recent VA symptom). What a life!

Hope you are feeling better now and remember to take it easy.  ;)

Jenna x

Mich12

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 12:30:53 AM »

Regards it will take years for NICE to recognise the bladder wall infection and treatment plan........before seeing The Professor i do now...I saw a different uro/gynae who is on the board of NICE and he also treats bladder wall infections amd said the way UTIs are treated is completely wrong.....and the reason we are in this mess is because of the three day treatment that GPs dish out........he said GPs should think outside the box more which they are allowed to do........the guidelines are not set in stone and if it was as simple as a three day course of antibs then we wouldn't need to go to the GP a just diagnose ourselves and off to the chemist.

Also what these doctors think privately and are allowed to do on the NHS are two different things....vagifem is definatley part of my "layers of the onion" but not all of it, and I have had to spend a small fortune to get my health to where it is now( still not there ) but about 80% better than this time last year , and it has all had to be off my own back.......and I have avoided any invasive tests unless absolutely necessary and my own research suggests this is appropriate......as to many people I no are made worse......don't get me started on the over use of nerve blocks for nerve pain............

I agree!! I told the urologist's nurse when I called today I will have the CAT SCAN but with no contrast. He said fine but then he wanted to put me into surgery under general anesthesia to do the cystoscopy!!!  :o :o I SAID NO...the office one is fine so that is all I will do. If something shows on the CAT SCAN and/or the in office cystoscopy I would have contrast and/or surgery but not until that point.

Mich12

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:16 AM »

Hi Mich,

I haven't had a CAT scan, but I had a kidney x-ray with dye, and that was nothing to worry about at all. When the dye is injected they warn you that you will feel a hot flush passing over you. I'm not sure if it is the same for a CAT scan though.

If you look back on this thread to the last few posts, you will see that we have been discussing red blood cells in our urine. I had a cystoscopy as well as the kidney x-ray investigations and no reason was found for ever found for mine and I was told not to worry about it. I suspect now that it was the beginning of my vaginal atrophy.

Hope all goes well, Mich. Are you in the UK, by the way?

Jenna x

Thank you Jenna! :) I suspect the beginning of vaginal atrophy is what is happening with me too, and the urologist has to do the tests to rule other stuff out, which is fine...but I won't let him go too invasive just yet. I am conservative and when having medical procedures done I want the least invasive as possible. I think this doctor has gone beyond that and I spoke up.

I am not in the UK, I live in the US. :) My deceased husband traveled frequently to England and loved it and I always wanted to travel there and may someday. :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:39:42 AM by Mich12 »

Mich12

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »

Jenna I had the microscopic blood right at the start of menopause four years ago. That's when I had the cystoscopy which found no reason for it. No one suggested VA! It was me who made the connection when I started with hot flushes three months later. I asked my GP for HRT and it all cleared up. The problems with bladder pain last year were caused by the discontinuation of the Ortho Gynest pessaries I had been using successfully which my GP then replaced with Gynest cream - later found to be something I couldn't tolerate. I imagined Gynest cream would be the same stuff but clearly it wasn't! My most recent UTI was caused by having sex twice in the space of 24 hours...  silly me! I sometimes forget I'm no longer in my twenties!  ::)

My ob/gyn told my husband and I we are trying to have sex like we were in our twenties!  8) :o My poor body cannot handle that any longer. We are newlyweds so we are madly in love, what else can I say? lol  :D

Jenna

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »

Thank you Jenna! :) I suspect the beginning of vaginal atrophy is what is happening with me too, and the urologist has to do the tests to rule other stuff out, which is fine...but I won't let him go too invasive just yet. I am conservative and when having medical procedures done I want the least invasive as possible. I think this doctor has gone beyond that and I spoke up.

I am not in the UK, I live in the US. :) My deceased husband traveled frequently to England and loved it and I always wanted to travel there and may someday. :)

Hi Mich,

I just wanted to mention that I previously suggested trying Estriol cream instead of Vagifem, but I don't think that is available in the U.S. - just so you know!

Hope it all goes well today - please let us know how you get on.

Jenna x

Morwenna

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »

Hi Mich,

I just wanted to mention that I previously suggested trying Estriol cream instead of Vagifem, but I don't think that is available in the U.S. - just so you know!

Jenna x

One of our longer standing members from the States who has now left the forum used something called 'Estrace' - I think this may be the equivalent of Estriol?

Jenna

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »

Hi Morwenna,

I looked up Estrace cream, but unfortunately it contains estradiol, the same as Vagifem. As Mich had said on another thread that her bladder symptoms had only started since she used Vagifem, I was trying to suggest an alternative in case Vagifem didn't suit her. What a game it all is!

Jenna x

Mich12

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »

Hi Mich,

Jenna x

Okay thank you Jenna, I appreciate the information very much.  :)

westie

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

Hi Mich

I have been following your post with interest as I have very similar symptoms to you. How did you get on with the Urologist?

W x
Pages: 1 [2]