Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling awful on Evorel 100 patch .... Too much or too little oestrogen?  (Read 22772 times)

Salad

I'm so confused  :-\

I've had to swap to trying the patch after my oestrogen level went up to 2300 using Oestrogel.
I'm not sure if I'm feeling rough because I'm having too much or too little oestrogen, or if it's just my body reacting to the patch - currently wearing my 4th patch.

I get an indigestion feeling within an hour of putting a new patch on. After applying the 3rd patch, I had a headache for 48 hours and felt absolutely exhausted - I slept 14 hours. My breasts are sore and have got bigger! My joint pains have increased - especially my back. Although this eases as the day goes on. I had vuval itching last night and had trouble getting off to sleep.

So it's seems like I'm having symptoms that I'm low AND high - really could do with some advice  :(

honeybun

I don't tolerate high levels of oestrogen at all. It makes me feel awful.
I have never had a blood test to see where my levels are as my GP goes on symptoms alone.

Too much oestrogen makes me feel sick and as if I had drunk far too much coffee.

Really the only way to find out what's making you feel so bad is to reduce your oestrogen. You can cut your patch in half if you wanted and start again until you find the point where you feel good.

Honeybun
X

Salad

Thanks Honeybun  :)

I read your reply and raced upstairs to change my patch. I've cut a quarter off a new one and popped it on- fingers crossed!

When I first started HRT my GP adjusted my dose according to my symptoms. However, when I was needing more than the four pumps a day, she started monitoring my blood level.
As the last one was off the scale, my GP thinks I'm absorbing the gel too quickly (so I get a really high reading), then as the gel wears off about 6pm, I was having a breakthrough in my symptoms.
We're hoping that the patches give me a more constant dose - I know I've got to give it a bit of time but it's so hard when you feel terrible.

Thanks again - much appreciated x

honeybun

Hope you start to see a difference soon. At least with the patch you get a constant dose, day and night.
I am now down to half a patch and getting reasonable symptom control.

Let us know how you get on.

Honeybun
X

MrsMopp

Good luck - I really hope that works for you.  Your symptoms sound awful  :(

Hurdity

Salad

Just catching up with a few posts as have been on holiday...

Sorry to hear about your problems with too much oestrogen. Did your GP explain abpout tachyphylaxis? This is a phenomenon that can occur when oestrogen levels get too high - by that is meant at a level that greatly exceeds levels that ever occur naturally. Prof Stuidd explains how this can occur with implants here (scroll down):
http://www.studd.co.uk/implants.php

Here is what it says (but best to read through as there is a discussion about the levels which occur throughout the menstural cycle). The article is referring to hormone implants generally.

Tachyphylaxis

Too frequent implantation or too high doses of oestrogen leads to supra-physiological oestradiol levels and the recurrence of symptoms even at these high levels.(4) It is not easy to treat and it must be said that the secret is to avoid it happening by using the correct dose of hormones in the first place. The normal range of plasma oestradiol during the ovarian cycle is between 100-1500 pmol/l but plasma oestradiol levels greatly exceeding these values can be found in patients with tachyphylaxis.

The symptoms that these women suffer are real, not imaginary although they are not always typical menopausal symptoms.(5) In fact many of these women have a history of psychological disorders.(6) Because of this potential problem, the implants should be used with caution in women with a known history of chronic anxiety or stress disorders. The recurrence of apparently oestrogen deficiency symptoms at these levels are no doubt due to the change of oestradiol levels from "very high" to "high" and they become accustomed to a higher threshold. These high levels may be unnecessary and avoidable but sometimes women with convincing oestrogen responsive depression need even higher oestradiol levels but there is little or no evidence that they are harmful.

There would rarely be an indication for repeat implant if the oestradiol levels are above 1000 pmol but sometimes women with convincing oestrogen responsive depression need even higher oestradiol levels and a repeat implant should not, after very careful consideration, be prohibited.(3) It is wrong to deny women further oestrogen therapy thus making them suffer many months or years of symptoms, particularly depression, anxiety and loss of energy. They can be given a low dose oestradiol implant of 25 mg usually with testosterone 100 mg, with explanation that this must last for six months. Alternatively this period can be covered by patches, gel or oral therapy. The oestradiol levels will fall to more acceptable levels within one or two years without the patient suffering greatly from oestrogen deficiency symptoms.(7) The "cold turkey" treatment is not acceptable as profound depression is very common in these patients denied further oestrogen therapy.

The problem is that if they are that high, then one can experience oestrogen deficiency symptoms and also that you can become very sensitive to change in estradiol levels.

I don't know what size patch you are on but in view of those very high levels that you were reaching using the gel,  it is unlikely that it will be giving you the same very high levels, but just that your body is reacting to the change - and possibly the decrease in oestrogen. However very strange that you are experiencing sore boobs from the patch though??? Blood tests are unreliable in testing for estradiol although you can't argue with a single very high reading - that must have occurred at some point! Theoretically as you and honeybun say the patches should give you a more consistent dose if they remain stuck and changed as recommended.

If you are on a 100 mcg patch then maybe start with 75 mcg but keep on with it for a while (a month at least) to see if your symptoms subside?

Hurdity x

Salad

Hi Hurdity - thank you for your reply and information - I was hoping to hear from you :)

My GP was on the look out for Tachyphylaxis as I had been needing increasing doses since the end of last year - I developed palpitations and feeling faint following some surgery in November. These were alleviated with an increase from 5 pumps to 6! I had my most recent blood test in the morning, as that was when I applied 4 pumps and we were beginning to wonder if I was absorbing the gel too quickly.

I'm really pleased (and a bit surprised) to say that since I cut the patch on Monday I've been feeling better than I have for months , thankfully my boobs have deflated :D

My GP called me on Friday to see how things were going and has now prescribed me the 75 patches- I don't think she can believe I've been able to lower my dose either!

I do find the patch uncomfortable as it feels quite 'brittle' and I do get a bit red, but considering the symptoms I've had, I'm more than happy to tolerate it for now.

I'm keeping everything crossed that I stay feeling like this for a while.

Thank you again x

MrsMopp

That's great news Salad. Hope it carries on working for you.

Salad

Thank you MrsMopp :)

Grumpymum

I get red and itchy with the patches and a doctor suggested spraying Beconase nasal spray on the area before applying, obviously letting it dry first. Not sure if it's having much effect for me, but it might work better for you. A pharmacist I spoke to said she could see how it might help. Also I have estradot patches which are very small so the area affected is smaller than with the Everol patch I had before.

Hurdity

Hi again

Yes I agree with Grumpymum - I use Estradot too and they are very very small compared to the others of the same dose - maybe you have these already?

I have sensitive skin and I could easily develop an itch where the patch is but I am very careful never to scratch the actual place where the patch is. Also try to peel it off very slowly when changing it, and forget about trying to remove the marks but any rubbing as this can also set up irritation - just get used to the stripey look! Easier with Estradot as the marks are small and fade quickly....

Hope you continue to feel better and better and that this regime works for you!

Hurdity x

Salad

I will definitely ask about the Estradot patches - I was surprised at the size of these Evorel patches! I can see why the Beconase spray might work though.

I'll wait until my next prescription before changing anything now I've finally found something that's working! :D