Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Stomach problems or anxiety/which came first/Help!  (Read 4663 times)

SallyG

Stomach problems or anxiety/which came first/Help!
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »

After having a sleepless night with horrid tummy problems and acid reflux I then started to slide into anxiety and OMG I won't ever feel normal again or be able to function. I am trying a wheat free diet and it has been working really well. Sometimes its just not possible to be totally strict especially when dealing with all the other things I have to do. My occ health appointment was very good on friday and am planning to return to work but when this happens I feel like Ive gone back to square 1.
Can anyone relate to this?

Hugs Sallyxxx

jedigirl

Re: Stomach problems or anxiety/which came first/Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »

I always feel anxiety in my stomach, get the runs, nausea, not nice.
Mine is always worse about ten days after my "period", is yours cyclical?
I don't think you can separate anxiety from physical symptoms as the symptoms make you anxious and the anxiety causes more problems! Great fun!
My stomach is rollercoastering today , along with a nice hazy brain fog, smattering of anxiety and mild nausea. Other days i feel fine.
Are you taking anything?
Jg xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »

For me it is always the anxiety which causes the diarrhoea. All my adult life if I get anxious about something you can guarantee that within 30 mins I need to rush to the loo. But I never get stomach ache or trapped wind or anything like that.

Back when my periods were still 'normal' I would usually get some diarrhoea an hour or so before my period would start.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »

Hello SallyG.

I'm another one who suffers similar problems. Mine is usually gurgling tummy and diarrhoea but for some reason no acid reflux or indigestion, can't think why. Also when I was younger I'd be flushed and bloated on the second day of my period and have an episode of diarrhoea.

I was comforted to read a post written by a lady who had seen Dr Panay and he told her that he sees many women who have digestive problems with the menopause, so we are not alone.

I think anything we can do to improve our diet is a good idea and will help in the longer term, if not immediately. Until then maybe we just have to plod on and wait for improvement, you certainly have my sympathy though.

Wishing you well.

K. 

robotwars

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »

WOW!!! I know where your all coming from, i'm exactly the same, I have started drinking peppermint tea and I do feel this does help to settle my stomach.....

SallyG

Re: Stomach problems or anxiety/which came first/Help! Thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »

Glad to see Im not alone!! Yes thinking about it I did always have runs with period. Also hormones control insulin production which in turn also impacts on ones ability to process carbs/starch which is sugar after all. So it is all linked.

Thanks all Hugs :)

Sally Gx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »

Good question!

Acid reflux is a totally different area of the gut  ;) and not associated in general with anxiety.

My gut lurches, nausea kicks in immediately - then the anxiety.  I've had this since before I can remember  :-\ …… being raised in an uneasy household didn't help. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:51:06 PM by CLKD »

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »

I've suffered with upset Tums for ages. Recently started Citalopram for anxiety, tummy has settled.

As for reflux not sure that is tied in with anxiety, but I could be wrong.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »

Stress can cause acid reflux. It's a well known trigger so I guess that anxiety could do the same?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

Reflux for me is caused by taking my meds too soon to going to bed  ::) …….. then I have to sit up until the Rennies take effect.  I agree, they can feed off each other  >:(

MrsMopp

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »

Yes, I can relate to that.  I get awful bloating and stomach pains.  I am trying to go gluten free and that did make a difference.  I have realised that bread is the worst thing for me.  I can tolerate the odd cake or biscuit but bread is a no-no so I have started making my own using a packet recipe. I did try making it from scratch but never perfected the recipe and ended up with a leaden lump of something that did not taste at all like bread.

I'm also on citalopram.  My GP has just upped it to 30mg from 20mg but I'm not sure whether I'll go along with that as yet.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »

20mg is the 'starting' dose apparently but I found that 10mg was enough to begin with.  Fortunately I now take 5mg of AD night and morning and it usually helps! 

I think that being raised in a volatile household was the start of my gut/nerves/anxiety/worry problems  >:(. When certain situations arise now the same feelings kick in ……...