Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem and headaches  (Read 10872 times)

Annie0710

Vagifem and headaches
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »

I've tried searching for the answer, I have been using vagifem for 6 days and from the morning after first application I've been waking with a headache, and getting at least one more during the day. I see that this can be a side effect, but nowhere I have read says it's either long term or temporary. Did this happen to anyone else and they stopped getting headaches or is it not suited to me?

Xx

rosebud57

Re: Vagifem and headaches
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »

Found this for you Annie,

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx?condition=Vaginitis&medicine=Vagifem&preparation=

As you can see headaches are first on the list of most common side effects.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

Annie0710
I assume you are taking Vagifem because of Vaginal atrophy or bladder problems and if you are late peri or post menopause then the whole point of using the Vagifem every day for the first 2 weeks is to plump up the whole vaginal area so you don't absorb the oestrogen systemically after that. So in other words, you may be absorbing a bit of oestrogen around your body in this early stage and this could cause occasional headaches. I actually got a bit of bleeding and stomach cramps as well during this initial stage. I expect these symptoms will subside after this initial 2 week phase and you then start using it 2-3 times a week to maintain a healthy environment around the vaginal area.
It's worth persevering.  Dg x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »

Annie0710
I assume you are taking Vagifem because of Vaginal atrophy or bladder problems and if you are late peri or post menopause then the whole point of using the Vagifem every day for the first 2 weeks is to plump up the whole vaginal area so you don't absorb the oestrogen systemically after that. So in other words, you may be absorbing a bit of oestrogen around your body in this early stage and this could cause occasional headaches. I actually got a bit of bleeding and stomach cramps as well during this initial stage. I expect these symptoms will subside after this initial 2 week phase and you then start using it 2-3 times a week to maintain a healthy environment around the vaginal area.
It's worth persevering.  Dg x

Thank you, I'm taking it for VA and because I was suffering almost constant bladder infections.
I will persevere and see if when I start 2x weekly these headaches subside, I also am on 2mg elleste solo so maybe just tipping me over on the oestrogen front right now

I don't have a uterus so haven't had cramps and not noticed any other side effects
Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:44:29 AM »

I'm sure things will settle down. Headaches are not always to do with HRT - we tend to blame hormones for everything.  Perhaps have a massage?  You may have bad tension around your shoulders? When I stopped HRT for a year my headaches got a lot worse - I think due to lack of sleep!!!  DG x

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »

If it is any help, I had bad headaches from oestrogen withdrawal during my off- weeks on the pill.  The only way of preventing them was to drink plenty water - and not to get thirsty at all.  If that fails take headache tablets at the first sign. 

Therefore, take very regular tea/water breaks, and beware of warmer weather - take a drink into the garden with you.

If it is a side effect, it should go after the first couple of weeks as Dancing girl says.

Sunnydays

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:32:47 AM »

Hi, Can I use this topic to mention Ovestin as well. I tried Vagifem but got noticeable leg cramps with it, so stopped it. I think the GP thought I was mad and insisted that the level of oestrogen is so low that it wasn't possible to get the symptoms I experienced. I'm using Ovestin at the moment and all seems ok.
What I have found interesting is reading the link below about side effects where it lists separately   the side effects of oestrogen and progesterone - with oestrogen it includes headaches and nausea. These were symptoms I had with hrt (and the headaches caused me to stop) and the general consensus was that it was caused by the progesterone. Maybe it was actually the oestrogen causing it, especially as hot flushes and night sweats became far worse. Just a thought?

Dancinggirl - you mention about there is the possibility for small amounts of oestrogen from these preparations to seep into the system. Daft question, but I wondered if for some ladies if it would be enough to alleviate/reduce their meno symptoms?

Good luck Annie, I'm sure the headaches will disappear shortly x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »

Sunnydays - it is highly unlikely that you would absorb enough oestrogen to reduce flushes etc.  The dosage is very low as well - so this means it will probably be safe for anyone to use. Once you have done the 2 week daily regime your vaginal area will have plumped up and this prevents any systemic absorption.  The new lower doses of this treatment (they used to be much stronger)  means that many women have to use them 3 or more times per week to stay comfortable.

I used to blame headaches on HRT but I now know my headaches are actually worse when I'm not on HRT.

The information leaflets that come with all local oestrogen products are the same as you would get with full systemic HRT which is a bit crazy but the drug companies like to cover themselves just in case.  I believe instructions also recommend you only use local oestrogen for 2 years but it is now known that VA and bladder issues with peri and post meno do not get better and go away, so ongoing, long term use of local oestrogen is really necessary to keep things healthy and comfortable. The dosage is so small the risks would be very, very small, if at all.
DG x

MrsMopp

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »

I've been on Vagifem for years.  I've only recently started getting headaches and I hadn't associated it with taking the Vagifem but now I'm wondering if the headaches coincide with the times that I use it.

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »

Today I haven't had a headache !
Yesterday was awful with them plus the light headedness and nausea, I'm going to persevere with the Vagifem as I want to protect my poor bladder from those UTIs I've been having

I'm on day 8 now using it and I have noticed that I don't feel like I constantly need a wee like I did before
Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »

Sounding good Annie0710.  Keep going - it may be working it's magic now. DG x

MrsMopp

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

That's good news.

I was put on an antibiotic recently for a bladder infection and that gave me a headache for 3 days.  After that the headaches stopped.

Day one of the Evoril25 patch and I feel sick and have an upset stomach  :o

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »

Sounding good Annie0710.  Keep going - it may be working it's magic now. DG x

Thank you
Woke at 4am because our dog was barking and I had a headache so popped 2 pills and woke up at 6am for work and felt ok'ish (always room for improvement these days)

May be a silly question: vagifem pumps you inside, right ? OH said I felt tighter the other night, but outside is still looking like a poor old great great grandmothers would do !
Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »

Early days Annie.  Vagifem plumps up the whole area inside the vagina - this basically means it improves everything and after about 3 months you should really notice the difference. I'd still use plenty of vaginal lubricant and moisturiser though, especially for sex.  DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »

So I can keep the replens going alongside the vagifem
Oh how I took my natural lubricayion for granted
Xx
Pages: [1] 2