Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UTI? Advice please.  (Read 5850 times)

Ju Ju

UTI? Advice please.
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:02:47 AM »

Just when I was about to go to bed last night I started to get a burning sensation, plus pain. It wasn't relieved by urinating, so I sat up for a few hours drinking copious amounts of water and took paracetamol. Eventually, I got to bed, but not surprisingly, woke up a few times to go to the loo. This morning the pain has gone, but not the burning sensation. I assume I have a UTI. I had cystitis many years ago when I first met my husband (!) and have had milder burning, which I have headed off quickly with drinking loads of water. Any advice on how to manage this? When it is wise to seek medical advice?

Dancinggirl

Re: UTI? Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:30:34 AM »

Hi Ju Ju
I really sympathise. Many of us get burning like this and it isn't necessarily a UTI though you should go to the GP and have your urine tested.  I've had this on and off for over 14 years and it's one of the symptoms of vaginal atrophy. 
You may need some local oestrogen and do check that you haven't got a bit of thrush or bacterial vaginitis as this will trigger this burning.
You are right to keep you water intake up.
I did a thread ages ago 'The Burning Club' and it was amazing how many women had this problem.
DG x

westie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »

Hi JuJu

Sorry to hear you are suffering. I have had many UTI's over the past few years varying in severity from mild to severe ( weeing blood). You are doing the right thing by drinking plenty. Some people drink cranberry juice to help with the pain, I've tried it a couple of times with varying results.

It may well clear up on its own in a day or two as long as you keep drinking, the time to get medical help us if your wee turns cloudy and/or smelly and also if you have traces of blood as this would indicate infection for which you will need a short course of anti biotics which usually work quite quickly.

Hope that helps, wishing you better soon

W xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:49:08 AM »

Thanks. That's reassuring. I'll keep drinking. I do use vagifem, but have just realised I forgot yesterday's pessarie. Probably not the cause, just coincidence. Just a shame as I was looking forward to going out tonight, but I have already cancelled. I didn't get get much sleep, so even if the burning subsides, I wouldn't enjoy myself. Ah, well TV evening ahead.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:56 AM »

You can buy cystitis treatments from the chemist which might help over the weekend.

If it's still bothering you by Monday then put a sample in to your GP for testing.

A hot water bottle is soothing too.

Honeyb
x

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:01:51 AM »

Hi Ju Ju,
I have had cystitis as a result of my perforated bowel.  The inflammation inside affected my bladder - it's horrible.  Because I couldn't at the time drink loads I was given antibiotics ( as blood protein etc had shown up in urine sample).  But as soon as I was drinking the doctors said sometimes UTI will clear on it's own if you drink plenty.  I also tried cranberry juice plus an over the counter treatment as I was loathed to keep taking the antibiotics.
It's horrible though - I used to burn constantly and when I did go an wee,  it would be worse for a while. 
Really hope it settles soon xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »

Thank you. In the night, I thought I would have to seek help and I really want to avoid doctors for a while. ( GP has called me in for a review of meds next week, so no chance of that!) Things seem to be calming down, thank goodness. I shall have a lazy day.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »

You rest.  Keep taking paracetamol to ease any background symptoms.  Let us know how you get on!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »

Lots of water and pure cranberry juice helps. Also 2 teaspoons of bicarb of soda in water helps to soothe. If it doesn't go away by the end of your weekend pop and see your GP. If left untreated cystitis can become a kidney infection which is nasty.

Scampi

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »

Google D-mannose - it's quite expensive, but as someone who suffered with cystitis regularly (severe enough to make me wee blood, and have to dash to the loo every 10 minutes, crying with the pain) for years, I can testify it really DOES work - and quickly.  I carry it with me always now, so I can take a loading dose at the first hint of 'the burn'.

Morwenna

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »

I'm in the throes of a nasty UTI right now. They always seem to flare up when the doctors surgery is closed! I've just finished a three day course of antibiotics and am feeling much better but my bladder continues to be irritable and I'm needing to wee a lot more than normal still.

I've just ordered some D-mannose powder, it gets pretty good reviews so watch this space  :great:

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

Hi Morwenna. If you are still uncomfortable then you will need to go back and have your urine tested again. I made the mistake of just putting up with feeling uncomfy and trying to self-treat and the infection travelled up to the kidney which meant almost three months of antibiotics and the threat of hospital admission. Don't risk it!

Taz x

Morwenna

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »

Thanks Taz, I have some testing strips so if I'm not feeling much better in the morning I'll dip a sample. I agree with what you say, I've had kidney infections twice before, some years ago, (they required penicillin to shift them as opposed to the standard Trimethoprim) and they made me feel very unwell indeed.

Morwenna

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »

Okay well I took one dose of D-mannose yesterday - last night had an episode of the runs and again first thing this morning - this is out of character for me as I have IBS-C which needs to be managed with laxatives. I'm wondering if the D-mannose is responsible? (Or maybe the fact I've been drinking much more water than normal in an effort to flush out the infection?) My bladder doesn't feel too bad. Has anyone else experienced this with D-mannose? Unfortunately I took another dose this morning before I started running to the toilet so if this is one of the side effects I could be in for an uncomfortable day at work!  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »

If you are generally 'constipated' - which medically means not having opened the bowels at all for 3-4 weeks  :o - and you add extra fruit or liquid to the diet, then the bowel may well say 'yippee' and let go!  Certainly I've noticed with granola my bowel action is different in the mornings.  If you can, go with the flow?  It may well be that the D-m will help with the uncomfortable bladder but the side effects may be to say the least, un-expected!

Let us know how the day pans out ……….
Pages: [1] 2