Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chemical help for extreme anxiety  (Read 4379 times)

babyjane

Chemical help for extreme anxiety
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, in here or 'other health'.

My anxiety is new to me this last 6 months but is clearly meno related reading these forum posts and affects my day to day functioning despite having Propranolol which has side effects for me.

We have a holiday booked in June and a large wedding to attend in September.  I am already getting anxious and worried about them both. 

Does anyone know if the GP can prescribed something temporary to take away the anxiety effects for a single event such as these, like one Valium tablet or something  :-\?

I don't find Rescue Remedy strong enough for a major event  :(

dazned

Re: Chemical help for extreme anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

Yes they can ! But wether they will is another matter entirely !

If you have a good Gp ask them for diazepam 2 mg they generally give out 14 ,they do work well 2 mg will calm you down and shouldn't make you to dozy,but everyone is different. Tell them these events are special to you and you don't want them ruined . Hope they oblige and hope you feel settled soon.
I've just had a bad 4 week spell and in desperation have agreed at doctors suggestion to start low dose AD and I must confess very much against my better judgement it has made anxiety,palps,etc disappear almost overnight !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:16 AM »

I have a beta-blocka at night plus an 'emergency' drug for as necessary use - I had Valium for years - so YES there is help out there.  Currently I'm struggling too  :-\

dazned

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »

CLKD  :foryou:

Is it the weekend coming up ?

These expected visits are not good are they !  >:(

Look after you too ,your just as important ! X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »

:thankyou: yep Duty Visit pending.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

I have diazepam for occasional use which does help. Just knowing I have it is sometimes enough.

Re your propanolol, have you tried just 10mg. That's the dose I take as the stronger ones make me feel extremely ill.

It's awful not to be able to look forward to events that before you would float through. I dreaded my nieces wedding but despite having an awful cold I enjoyed it.

Are you going far on holiday. I know my limitations and don't go too far now. That way I feel more comfortable travelling.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »

thank you everyone  :thankyou:

Honeybun my Propranolol is 10mg and at the moment I am splitting it in half to 5mg until I see my GP as 10mg makes my heart rate and BP too low and I feel as though I have me head in a plastic bag!.  I am a nightmare to medicate according to my (lovely) GP as I react to everything  ::)

Our holiday is to the South Coast, not far, about 3 hours driving, but since getting caught in a horrendous traffic jam at Christmas I am terrified of being trapped like that again. Oh that feels good to admit that as my husband thinks I am being ridiculous about it  :(

Dazned which AD are you on, is it an SSRI? I might talk to my GP about those when I see him in 2 weeks time.

dazned

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »

As I too like you am very sensitive to medication having tried,Prozac,citlopram,serteline,in the past, kept saying I'm not depressed etc gp told me they are also helpful for anxiety so she suggested mirtazapine as I also had very bad insomnia,so I very reluctantly tried fearing the worse and almost straight away no more of the horrendous anxiety and I now sleep . So it isn't necessary the answer for everyone but I no longer dismiss anything,if,when anyone feels so bad be prepared to be open to any suggestions!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »

Many years ago whilst travelling home from The Lakes with dog in the back, in HORRENDOUS rain; the road was black and shiny from headlights, traffic was slow, then stopped …… I vowed I would *never* go North again …….. I was so worried about another vehicle running into the back of ours and causing upset to my dog  :'( and of course, I wanted a wee …..

We try to travel by day-light now which helps a bit or very early so that we can watch dawn breaking  ;)

starfish

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:18:31 PM »

Hi,

I didn't react well to propranolol so take beta blocker bisoprolol - low dose daily. I was having a lot of anxiety and stress/hormone induced palpitations and this one helps me a lot. For times of severe anxiety I have xanax (alprazolam) which is a short acting benzodiazepine, similar to valium. On recommendation of cardiologist, so GPs do give me prescription for it when needed (sometimes I get a little 'talk' about the dangers of addiction). I don't like to take it but it does work, thankfully. I do like to have it, just in case - psychological security! For me, reducing stress, increasing sleep, and taking B vits and magnesium have also helped a lot, but took time. There is definitely a place for chemical help, and I still use it.

Wishing you well,

Starfish

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:10:43 PM »

:thankyou:

renee

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »

Babyjane....don't struggle with anxiety as it can be debilitating..

Iv had it 10 yeses and the only med that helps me is diazepam 2mg...all it does is takes away the horrible sensation you get with anxiety....I wouldn't even know I had taken it, no nausea or light headed, just gets rid of the horrible stuff.

I got a pack of 28 a year ago and I have 7 left so you use them sensibly.

❤️

dazned

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »

Yes diazepam is a good emergency short term fix.

However it is easier said than done to get them out of the doctor's ! I have a nice little emergency stock pile now over the last few months I've managed to get prescribe them 14 at a time so I should be ok for quite a while now.

Honestly I feel like Gollum, " The precious is mine "

:rofl:

renee

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »

Haha....must admit Im the same with my last 7 tabs...their mine all mine. 😜😜

SueRoe

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

I think the time of year makes things worse. In the winter it's easier to keep a low profile as the world of holidays, weddings, and other "ought-to" events seems way off. Now that spring is imminent that once-distant holiday starts to loom and if you're the sort of person who prefers the familiarity of home then that can be a huge strain. I once freaked out before the outbound flight at an airport and begged to be taken home but went in the end because my husband had set his heart on the holiday. I find being away from home awful mostly. If you have to be involved for the sake of others I don't see anything wrong in taking something to get you through it.
Pages: [1] 2