Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very post menapausal but just started HRT... Am I doing the right thing?  (Read 6533 times)

resa4859

Hi
Im 55 and have not had a period since June 2010 and have managed to live with the hot flushes,occasional headaches and atrophic vaginitus.....have been lucky.
Over the last year my atrophic vaginitis and low libido has worsened....tried gynest cream but has not helped and I kept getting BV... my headaches have worsened to the point if I get one they last 48hrs and I am now having full on night sweats which I have never had before.
Over the last month my palpation's have become an issue..have had an ECG and bloods and waiting for a 24hr tape to exclude anything serious, ..after reading several articles I thought that they me all menopause related and that maybe HRT would help.
I did try HRT several years ago but felt very ill on it so stopped it....went and saw the GP...thought a female one would be more understanding...jury out on that one. I explained everything else that was going on as she knew about the palpations and asked if HRT would help and if so could I have patches so if I reacted I could remove straight away....
I took the score sheet from here which showed I had a very high score on most things ( she had never seen one before!!)...reluctantly she did prescribe me some patches - Evorel Conti ... and asked to see me in a month
I am now on my 2nd patch.....how soon should I expect to see some results in my symptoms and can any give me advice about any of my other symptoms...I do have a very patient husband but he is now asking to "get myself sorted"!!!...so pressure all round which doesn't  help !!   :( >:(

Joyce

Hi & welcome. It can take a good few weeks for HRT to kick in. I was about 3/4 weeks before I started feeling the benefits, but some take longer. 

It's not quite so easy to "get yourself sorted" though. Maybe print off the advice for husbands. If you do a search on here, under All Things Menopause, it should pop up. My hubby has never put pressure on me, just wants me to be as well as I can be.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:

:kick: for your Husband  >:( - mine would be out the door living in the shed should he even suggest he's thinking about my pulling myself together  :bang:  I had the same reaction from my Mother when I was severely depressed  :'(

Have a browse.  Ask away.  Nothing is taboo here  ;)

Kathleen

Hello resa4859 and welcome to the forum.

I think we are similar in that I had my last period in April 2010 and I have recently started using Evorel Conti patches. I am trying the 50 mcg dose and at 58 I am a bit older than you. I had been using a different patch for three months but wanted to try the conti version.

Everyone says that to give any HRT a good chance to work you should stick with it for three to six months.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Take care

K.

Hurdity

Hi resa4859  :welcomemm: from me too!

As you are 5 years post-menopause it may take a while for all your symptoms to be sorted, and do be prepared for a few side effects and perhpas a little spotting or bleeding before it all settles down. Your body reached its all time oestrogen low about 2-3 years ago so it has been without oestrogen for a long time. The night sweats and flushes should go fairly quickly but some of the other symptoms may take longer.

It is advised to give HRT at least 3 months before deciding whether or not it will work for you and I really hope this one does, and you feel better and better! Do not despair if there are a few ups and downs along the way as long as you see a gradual improvemnet.

Why not make a note of all the symptoms you have been experiencing and what led you to go down this route and keep a weekly diary of how you feel so that you can look back and see your progress?  :)

Hurdity x

Suzi Q

:welcomemm:

:kick: for your Husband  >:( - mine would be out the door living in the shed should he even suggest he's thinking about my pulling myself together  :bang:  I had the same reaction from my Mother when I was severely depressed  :'(

Have a browse.  Ask away.  Nothing is taboo here  ;)
Mine too in fact hed be eating his dinner with his derrier for the rest of his life

Suzi Q

Hi
Im 55 and have not had a period since June 2010 and have managed to live with the hot flushes,occasional headaches and atrophic vaginitus.....have been lucky.
Over the last year my atrophic vaginitis and low libido has worsened....tried gynest cream but has not helped and I kept getting BV... my headaches have worsened to the point if I get one they last 48hrs and I am now having full on night sweats which I have never had before.
Over the last month my palpation's have become an issue..have had an ECG and bloods and waiting for a 24hr tape to exclude anything serious, ..after reading several articles I thought that they me all menopause related and that maybe HRT would help.
I did try HRT several years ago but felt very ill on it so stopped it....went and saw the GP...thought a female one would be more understanding...jury out on that one. I explained everything else that was going on as she knew about the palpations and asked if HRT would help and if so could I have patches so if I reacted I could remove straight away....
I took the score sheet from here which showed I had a very high score on most things ( she had never seen one before!!)...reluctantly she did prescribe me some patches - Evorel Conti ... and asked to see me in a month
I am now on my 2nd patch.....how soon should I expect to see some results in my symptoms and can any give me advice about any of my other symptoms...I do have a very patient husband but he is now asking to "get myself sorted"!!!...so pressure all round which doesn't  help !!   :( >:(

Atrophy is the worst of all the meno symptoms for me anyway
As for how long etc HRT Im sorry cant help I couldnt use it
Gynest didnt work for me for the dry bit I went on Ovestin fine for 8 years then it failed 100% almost overnight
I then went on Vagifem and beside the odd blip with in a few DAYS my bits felt 100% better
With in a month every bit of soreness had gone Feb sex was excruciating and didnt want it cos I knew PAIN!!
By the September we went to Europe and made whoopy in Paris Venice and Rome
Just over 5 years Ive been on Vagifem and have done 2 reloads OK its not the same even now I wait for the pain
Those 2 years I soldiered on with sex in agony (I have a high Tol of pain) It did affect my mind still does
I hope the HRT kicks in fast but u have to be gentle with you as for hubbie ask him if hed like to make whoopy
Knowing when he did everytime he moved his man bit would feel like someone was grating it with a wire brush?

Ana

Just wanted to say, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I have been wondering what will happen to me after my last period. At 51, I am still awaiting this event. But it is wonderful to have all this information and advice. It is great to know that something can be done about it, locally, without having to resort to oral HRT. (My mother never spoke much about it, except to say that she had to give up her physical relationship with my father.)

peegeetip

Hi resa4859

the process of getting used to HRT is not a short term thing.

We are all different but doc's tend to say 3 months.
My advice is 6 months as it can take a long time for the HRT to help fix and repair those things that have gone into decline.

You don't say what was the "ill" feelings you had but your body is only getting used to something its been denied.
So of course for some of us that will make it feel like we are ill.

I hope the patches help you and get you back to normal asap.

To those commenting on DH's.

I know my own husband was very concerned about my well being before I understood what was up and started HRT.

He did not fully understand what was going on (as did my wider family).
Our outpourings/feelings/actions through peri and meno can be quite alarming to those around us.
I was often unaware or not listening to what others said.
The worst part was that I "didn't care"!
I often made others feel bad. Just because I was having a bad day/week/month/year!

Sometimes in "Man" speak that can sound like "sort yourself out".
But a lot of the time it is just they are just unable to comprehend that their loved one has such problems and are genuinely worried that they are unwell.
It does not always come out like that but not all DH's are able to put their emotions in words.
As long as he's worried about you and aware your better off than most.
I'm just glad my DH did not put on his ear plugs and retreat to the "Garden Shed" like a lot do.

To be honest a phrase like that is but a snowflake on the iceberg that is peri & meno.
I said some nasty things to my DH whilst I was being emotional and if our DH come back with a phrase like that then perhaps we should see whats wrong sooner.

Here's to the new patches and let us know how your doing or if your feeling a bit ill again.

Stick with it :) Sorry about the pun  ::)

:-*
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:37:47 PM by peegeetip »

Hurdity

Just wanted to say, thank you all for sharing your experiences. I have been wondering what will happen to me after my last period. At 51, I am still awaiting this event. But it is wonderful to have all this information and advice. It is great to know that something can be done about it, locally, without having to resort to oral HRT. (My mother never spoke much about it, except to say that she had to give up her physical relationship with my father.)

Hi Anabelle

Well -  who knows what will happen to you personally as this is unpredicatbale?! If you are somewhere on the menopause journey at the moment you may have an indication - your periods may have become irregular, you may have had flushes and sweats - you may have experienced mood swings, been tearful one minute and excited the next..... You may be one of the lucky ones who gets a few flushes and sweats which then more or less die down close to the last period and then get no more obvious symptoms. However oestrogen deficiency happens to most of us (although those who are very overweight still get some oestrogen from their fat cells) - so some of the symptoms may not be obvious until well on in post-menopause.

As you say - it is not necessary to take oral HRT - I have never done so, I have only ever used transdermal oestrogen, progesterone capsules (inserted) and local oestrogen - and this is the most natural way to get it into your system because it doesn't have to go through the liver and be metabolised with the excess excreted.

Two years following the last period your oestrogen levels will fall to their lowest level and stay there for ever - so some women notice new symptoms around this time, or begin to experience flushes etc for the first time.

Hopefully you will have a smooth ride!

Hurdity x

peegeetip

Stick with it :) Sorry about the pun  ::)

:-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

;D  ……. we are allowed to have a giggle  ;)

Ana

Hi Anabelle
Well -  who knows what will happen to you personally as this is unpredicatbale?! If you are somewhere on the menopause journey at the moment you may have an indication - your periods may have become irregular, you may have had flushes and sweats - you may have experienced mood swings, been tearful one minute and excited the next..... You may be one of the lucky ones who gets a few flushes and sweats which then more or less die down close to the last period and then get no more obvious symptoms. However oestrogen deficiency happens to most of us (although those who are very overweight still get some oestrogen from their fat cells) - so some of the symptoms may not be obvious until well on in post-menopause.

As you say - it is not necessary to take oral HRT - I have never done so, I have only ever used transdermal oestrogen, progesterone capsules (inserted) and local oestrogen - and this is the most natural way to get it into your system because it doesn't have to go through the liver and be metabolised with the excess excreted.

Two years following the last period your oestrogen levels will fall to their lowest level and stay there for ever - so some women notice new symptoms around this time, or begin to experience flushes etc for the first time.

Hopefully you will have a smooth ride!

Hurdity x

Thank you Hurdity. You are very wise. I will look out for it, two years after my last period (which I hope will be soon!).
Yes, I have been having all these nasty symptoms for more than 2 years now and just wondering how much longer I will have to put up with these heavy, flooding periods. The hot flushes have been going on since I was 49. I thought I would have seen an end to it by now. But it just goes on and on. I am determined not to take HRT in any form until I have seen an end to the periods. I don't want to encourage them to hang around! So, the two year mark is good advice for me.
Thank you.
Ana x
 :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:47:00 PM by Anabelle »

Hurdity

Hi Anabelle - have you thought of having treatment for the heavy bleeding? There are several options listed here if periods are troubling - ranging from Mirena coil (progestogen delivered straight to the uterus) or endometrial ablation (small op to remove most of womb lining)
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

I didn't take HRT until my periods had almost stopped - I was only having the very occasional one, so the return to light bleeding was fine for me. I was fortunate that flushes and sweats didn't become really bad until this point so didn't think about HRT. I ignored all the other symptoms (during peri-menopause, including the bleeding and clots!) because I didn't know they had anything to do with menopause (apart from the beginnings of vaginal atrophy) !!!!!

If you want to start HRT I would recommend starting at that point ( very occasional periods) rather than waiting until 2 years following the last period - as it is easier to transition into a medium dose oestrogen before your levels have got to rock bottom - and in any case symptoms may become unbearable before then! Hopefully not in your case!!!

Hurdity x

resa4859

Thank you so much for all your advice and support these last 3/4 weeks.
I'm now almost a month in after starting my evoral conti patches and have noticed a benefit, headaches have eased in intensity, sleeping for slightly longer and my palpation have lessened in frequency, have also had  normal PV discharge ( so think my atropic vaginitis may also be feeling the benefit of the patches) Hot flushes have eased and no night sweats :-)
I'm back the Dr tomorrow as was only given a months supply, am seeing a different one in the hope she will be more receptive to a pro active/informed  patient.....
As I'm still getting the palpations  I'm wondering if a higher dose patch would be of benefit or stick with the same....
Once again thanks to lo 😊
Pages: [1] 2