Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Painful bum - sigmoidoscopy  (Read 5328 times)

Tabbied

Painful bum - sigmoidoscopy
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:39 PM »

I've suffered with a painful bum for a few years and been fobbed off by various GPs - I don't appear to have piles or any significant bleeding or anything, just discomfort/pain when sitting. As I ride this is literally a PITA! The consultant I saw didn't find anything wrong but for peace of mind - mine, he said - he booked me in for a sigmoidoscopy. Today I got the letter and it is next week.  ARGH! I've moved house and toilet facilities are pretty dire. I have been given pills and a DIY enema kit. O my life.

Please reassure me that I will not spend two days on our primitive lavvie? Can I go to work? The pills are dulcolax (2 at a time). What about the enema? I live about 20 mins from the hospital- and have to do the enema an hour before my appointment. Will I last that long or do i 'empty' before I leave?

Aargh!

Joyce

Re: Painful bum - sigmoidoscopy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »

Not too sure. Any similar tests I've taken the prep the day before, so basically cleared out by the day of examination. Maybe phone consultant's secretary on Monday & ask.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:25:55 PM »

I've just looked it up, they want your bowels empty ready.  It says to try to hold the enema for 5 mins before going toilet, so as long as you are near a loo when you do it, you should be ok I think. 
Xx

This is what I read

"There are no diet or fluid restrictions before a flexible sigmoidoscopy. But, your bowel must be cleansed in order for sigmoidoscopy to be successful. You will receive two enemas before the procedure since the rectum and lower intestine must be empty so that the intestinal walls can be seen. You will need to try to hold the enema solution for at least five minutes before releasing it."

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and only had to use one enema two hours before the procedure. I didn't have to have any pills though. The actual examination was painless and interesting to watch the scope going around the bowel. I had cramping afterwards and had to rush to the loo a couple of times once I got home but didn't have any other side effects.

When I used the enema I just got myself set up in the loo with a good book and a glass of water and sat it out! You will empty before you leave Tabbied.

Taz x

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 08:24:48 AM »

A possible mild form of Proctalgia Fugax......muscle in the rectum goes into spasm and can give various degrees of pain.......Levitor ani muscle.

Tabbied

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »

Thanks guys. My appointment is at noon on Saturday. The pills I take 2 at 6pm on the Thurs, then 2 in the morning on Friday and two again in the evening. Then the diy enema an hour before the appt, so 11 - though reading on the internet, I think I will do it at 10.30 as I don't want any accidents on the way to the hospital. And I'm not supposed to eat much at all so I don't think there'll be much to 'clear out'! What if I do the enema even earlier..? Will that work as well, or will there be obstructions!?!

Tabbied

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »

Maryjane, that's what I suspect it may be, but it does come and go. I've had full blown PF and it's horrible - just comes out of nowhere, usually when I'm on a long walk. I think hydration helps, and I always carry nurofen  - and an inhaler as that is supposed to stop it. Getting old sucks, eh?!

pj44

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »

What part of the country are you in? I had a sigmoidoscopy about 2 years ago I posted on here about it.  I was senot what I had to take it was powder and you added water to it and you had to drink it worked pretty much straight away. Then 6 hours later you had another one then that was it. My appointment was the next day. I did find the last bit of the exam painful but that did not last too long. Recovered with tea and biscuits. I did have to sit on toilet for a bit in hospital but then I was fine. I hope they can tell you what is wrong. I have hemorrhoids.

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:18 AM »

I had one years ago, had nothing to clean me out was in and out its way easier and quicker and no sedation, than a colonscopy, you will be fine....all the best.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »

Not pleasant.  But why the primitive privvy situation - do you have to go 'down the yard' like I did at my Granny's  ;)

Hope it goes OK! and if you are concerned about the instructions, ring the Secretary!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:31:45 PM »

When I had my sigmoidoscopy I just turned up at hospital and they did enema there before the proceedure.  They prefer the enema to be done as close as possible to the proceedure so the sigmoid stays clear and no poo moved down into it after the enema.

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »

Thanks guys. My appointment is at noon on Saturday. The pills I take 2 at 6pm on the Thurs, then 2 in the morning on Friday and two again in the evening. Then the diy enema an hour before the appt, so 11 - though reading on the internet, I think I will do it at 10.30 as I don't want any accidents on the way to the hospital. And I'm not supposed to eat much at all so I don't think there'll be much to 'clear out'! What if I do the enema even earlier..? Will that work as well, or will there be obstructions!?!

Do exactly as they advise you to do Tabbied - don't try & do anything different, it's not worth it as they may refuse to do the procedure.
Good luck for Saturday. you'll be fine.

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »

i AGREE WITH CAZ XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »

How did you get on Tabbied?
Do let us know how it went.