Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Seems I've arrived.  (Read 3190 times)

Tabbied

Seems I've arrived.
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »

Hello. I'm 55 and have realised I've joined your merry band, my last encounter with a tampon being 18 months ago.

I've had an easy journey. Barely a hot flush or anything. A few flutters of the heart. Sleepless nights. But oh, my poor joints and muscles and ligaments. I'd assumed that riding and horse related labouring, combined with sitting at a desk were to blame. After staying with an old school friend last weekend she mentioned that her achey hip was possibly menopause related. A quick google and here I am.

I wish I were 14 again.  Help.

Yours,
Catherine in Suffolk

Claireylou

Re: Seems I've arrived.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »

Hi there  :welcomemm:

I'm in peri and my hips ache really badly too. I hobble out of bed like an old woman most mornings  :)

Have a look at the menus at the top of the screen. There is lots of info on here to help you along.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Tabbied
It's a 'pain' getting older in every sense of the word. If you aren't getting bad meno symptoms like flushes etc. then I think it's worth looking into exercises that help the joints.  As an ex dancer I have a lot of joint issues these days but I do find Omega 3 Oils help plus Vitamin D (which most of us are deficient in during winter).  One of the symptoms of low Vit D is aching joints!  The key is to keep moving - don't sit down for too long and lots of brisk walking. I get horrid sciatica pain which is only helped with walking.
HRt can be great but can also bring it's side effects so if you are in your mid 50s and your bone density is OK I think good diet, supplements and exercises are your best option. I am still on HRT at 59 because of ongoing meno flushes, bladder issues etc. but would much rather not be using it.  DG x

Tabbycat

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »

Hi Tabbied, welcome to the forum.

My first sign of the meno was painful hips - I was hobbling at one point and it really messed with my yoga practice (no more half lotus for me!). And as for horse riding... I used to get cramp in one hip joint when I tried to dismount! I find the pain/stiffness comes and goes - probably with the fluctuating hormones.

Vit D helps (the spray from Holland & Barrett is very good).

More exercise is better than less, strangely enough. I've started weight training at the gym using free weights, and building up the muscles has helped with all my joints. It's hard work but worth it.

Make sure your diet is filled with lots of fresh veg, and don't skimp on the fat. Good fats like olive oil, sunflower oil, fish oil and nuts is what we need at our age. Think of it as oiling the machine!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

Hi Tabbied :welcomemm: from me too

I've been on HRT for 8 years (now aged 61) and still get aching muscles after exercise, even though I do these exercise classes regularly.

Hurdity x