Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arthritis or Burstitis  (Read 5364 times)

honeybun

Arthritis or Burstitis
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »

My sister has arthritis in both knees as do I, we also have it in our fingers.

She has hip pain, yet to be X rayed and so do I but we have pain in different areas.

Mine is in my side and a bit down my leg, hers is in her buttock. Mine is definitely not sciatica as I have had that before. Mine is a bit hot and swollen.

I have been limping around today as its getting worse....going up steps is really painful.

Has anyone had one or the other and how do you tell the difference. I have an appointment with the GP in the week so I will be naughty and mention it although I'm in for something else.

Honeyb
X

bramble

Re: Arthritis or Burstitis
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »

I had bursitis in my elbow - it was very swollen and filled with fluid. It then burst, swelled up again, burst, swelled up again. You get the picture. Eventually it burst and then healed. Had antibiotics for it. It was very red and sore. Not sure if it will be the same in a hip joint.
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »

And I got antibiotics for it.
B.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

Arthritis is caused by 'wear and tear' in the joints, usually due to over-exercising or ageing.  Joints are protected by a fleshy pad or fluid which wears/dries out therefore causing rubbing ………. so as the joint moves it becomes painful because the proactive lining has worn away.

Bursitis is PAINFUL.

'itisi' = inflammation …….. i.e. appendicitis, meningitis ……

A bursa usually presents as red, hot, swollen and this can be relieved [hope you are not eating] by inserting a Very Long Needle and drawing off fluid which should be clear; if yellow or blood stained = inflammation.  A bursa will re-fill until the infection is cleared away, either by continuous draining and/or ABs.  I think that a bursa is usually situated in a 'gap' i.e. behind the knee cap …… or gap in the elbow …..

Arthritis pain will be relieved by swallowing pain relief.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:12:39 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »

Thanks CLKD, gosh it's painful tonight. Really struggling to walk properly. Think I may take myself off to bed.

Think it's become far too painful too quickly to be arthritis

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:49 PM »

Sorry to hear you're feeling really sore HB. I know nothing of bursitis & little of arthritis.  Definitely mention to your GP, even if there for something else. You can explain that you'd booked for something else, but this has happened. It would be a pretty coorse GP who ignored a patient in lots of pain!

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:40 PM »

At this rate hubby will have to carry me in  ;D hopefully it might be a bit better in the morning.

Really glad I have an appointement.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

He'll notice your DH carrying you into the Surgery  ;) , if not, LIMP, HB, LIMP  :crutch:

How is it this morning, have you needed to take pain relief, i.e. medication that eases swelling/inflammation?

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »

I had a bit of an uncomfortable night as I wakened up every time I turned on that side.

Still hobbling around but it hasn't got any worse....taken paracetamol for the pain and rubbed in ibuprofen gel.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 12:37:34 PM »

Little steps  ;)  :-X

rosebud57

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »

Be careful as pain can deceive you.  The problem is not always where the pain is but can be deferred from somewhere else.  For example hip pain can be a problem with the back.

Also might not necessarily be a mechanical problem.  Three years ago I thought my back pain was a old ligament injury, but it turned out to be a kidney infection.

Good luck with the GP, I'm sure he'll sort it.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

Thanks RB. I can actually press into the sore point at the side of my hip. It's hot and slightly swolllen so I'm pretty sure it's my hip.
What a carryon. I will probably be told to rest....some hope  ::)

Hope I can have an injection or something. I don't have a problem with big needles, have had quite a few massive ones stuck in me in the past. I just don't  look  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »

HIP pain is felt in the groin  ;) - back pain is down the leg …….. but we are raised to consider our pelvis the 'hips'  ::)

Whatever, pain relief should ease symptoms.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »

I had bursitis around my hip - Troncha I think it was called.  After many investigations and x-rays it was finally diagnosed and I had a cortisone injection which helped a lot.  Had nothing then for about a year then it came back, second injection didn't do anything.  After doing some research I opted for a course of acupuncture done by a Chinese acupuncturist, after each session he also gave a through massage to that area and after 6 weeks it had cleared up - haven't had it now for over 5 years but yours sounds just like mine did, hot and swollen to the touch and walking, sitting and lying in certain positions aggravated it.
Pages: [1] 2