Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: distressing text  (Read 6738 times)

honeybun

Re: distressing text
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »

My hubby had a scan for that a few weeks ago. We were told it was fine. It is seemingly more common than you think in men hence the new scanning programme.

I'm really glad I insisted.

What a dreadful thing to have happened, his poor family.

Honeyb
x

dazned

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »

Not to sure what one is really :-\

Don't you get any symptoms,he'd been to see gp a couple of times last week they gave him antibiotics for chest infection !

thorntrees

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »

Your post really made me think, my DH went for an aortic aneurysm scan on Monday as he has reached 65 and was sent an invite. He was very reluctant and only went at my urging. Everything was OK and it doesn't need repeating. I am so glad I made him go and so sorry for the shock you and DH have had with his boss.
Take care of each other.

Thorntrees.

dazned

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »

That's good HB and Thorntrees didn't realise they now do routine scanning for it. But you both glad you made them go xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »

When it bursts it's fatal.  My late F in L had a successful operation for an aeortic anurisym in 1998, [aged 78] he had been monitored for several years by ultra-sound scanning.  Now men over 65 are offered it.  It can be genetic.  We talked to our GP at the time ………. B in L had his scan last year and is OK.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:06:17 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »

Funnily enough (or not funny really) a really close of mine had this happen while he was in the A&E department because of damaging his thumb at work. He felt sick and went to the toilets while waiting to be seen and the next thing he knew it was three months later and he woke up in Intensive Care. His aorta burst while he was in the toilet and he collapsed but luckily someone was in the next cubicle and called for help. He had to have over thirty units of blood as it was rushing out as quickly as it was being put in. He was never the same of course. No feeling down the left side of his body. What a brave guy though. Didn't let it beat him. His sense of humour was still very much there. He lived for another twenty years after that. He was told that his smoking had caused it. He would not have survived if he hadn't already been in the hospital and there were times during the first couple of years when he really wished he hadn't. I still miss his company. He was 49 when it happened.

Such a shock for all involved when this happens. On a better note my next door neighbour's was recognised in A&E before it ruptured and he had successful surgery. Didn't manage to keep his job but at least he's alive. He's 53 so I'm not sure why we have to wait till 65 for the scan!

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »

Neighbour passed with that last summer. He knew he had it. He'd been told it would go one day & he would pass very quickly. He did, watching TV.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »

Thanks Taz.  I had only heard the 'fatal' stories.  It can be distressing to watch though ……..

My late F in L had smoked a lot whilst a Prisoner of War ……… then suddenly stopped when he developed a cough in his late 50s.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »

Hopefully as the scanning programme roll out this will become less common. Hubby did not want to go  ::) but he went, purely to shut me up I think.
I have to say I was relieved that everything was ok as he is a smoker.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »

I think whilst the NHS is offering these free tests we should take the opportunity.  It may well be that someone will get a Degree out of the Research!
Pages: 1 [2]