Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this where it all leads?  (Read 19517 times)

GeordieGirl

Is this where it all leads?
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »

Having just found out I'm post menopausal, I've made the foolish error of asking Google what this actually means. Oh. Dear.  Apparently I can now look forward to:

1. Getting old and wrinkly rather quickly now my oestrogen has deserted camp.
2. My hair thinning
3. My waist thickening so it's no longer there (damn, I've just got it back after a successful diet too)
4. Losing my memory
5. Getting crooked and wizened due to osteoporosis
6. Going off sex - though I'll hardly be a sex siren with the above anyway.
7. My lady bits shrivelling up inside, getting long and floppy out. (Probably just as well I've already gone off sex in number 6 then)
8. Forgetting what a good night's sleep is
9. Starting a subscription with Tena Lady
10. Put on weight

....and many many more.

Can someone please please tell me that this either isn't the case at all, or I'll become so forgetful that I'll no longer remember what life was like beforehand anyway.

GG x

BrightLight

Re: Is this where it all leads?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »

I am laughing and crying at the same time. I did a google too when I found out and was completely shocked, depressed and overwhelmed by reading. I've finally got some perspective back after feeling like I must 'stop' this from happening at all costs! How, I have no idea, all part of accepting change...

Change is all it is and there is no guarantee any of that list will happen and if it does how it might show itself in your life. Bothersome or not, no big deal or distressing.

At least we have the low down, ageing happens but I'm not sure we should read all this as am overnight thing. Keep positive if you can, all those things can be counteracted to some degree.  I'm choosing to remain an 'idealist' with a touch of realism ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »

You'll fit right in here >wave<  ;)

By the time we remember we have forgotten what it was we needed ……. every one of us is individual in symptoms, time scale and how various treatments work/not.  Trial and Error which is why this Forum is really useful!

GeordieGirl

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »

I've just read that I can save my lady bits with regular sex apparently.( Written by a man no doubt). That's fine as long I'm not hit by point 6 (a decreasing libido). Or my partner isn't deterred by all the other points  :-\

Perhaps now the time to start a 'cosmetic surgery' savings pot. I've looked down the back of the sofa and chairs and amassed £1.37, a hair bobble and a sticky sweet so I suspect this could take a while....

GG x

BrightLight

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

Ha ha, are you living in my world? :) I read the regular use, use it or lose it advice. Pelvic floor excercises are my current addition to my day.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »

;D ………. what no mobile phone or TV remote control down there …….

I went off sex completely. But had to learn that DH has needs and now that I 'go along' I find it's OK again.  So don't give up on that even if you are tired/not aroused.

DH told me years ago that he would divorce me if I put on weight …….. well, these days, if the cap fits  :D ……. and as for my chin [see my thread; yep we have that to take up time too  ;)] - if you need Tena Lady I have several packets from when M in L died, somewhere in the attic  ;)

GeordieGirl

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »

I (still ?) have a very active libido, I've warned my partner it may be replaced by Sudoku and a hot chocolate in bed soon.  :)

I've just read your chin thread CLKD - uh oh. Another one for the list....

1. Getting old and wrinkly rather quickly now my oestrogen has deserted camp.
2. My hair thinning
3. My waist thickening so it's no longer there (damn, I've just got it back after a successful diet too)
4. Losing my memory
5. Getting crooked and wizened due to osteoporosis
6. Going off sex - though I'll hardly be a sex siren with the above anyway.
7. My lady bits shrivelling up inside, getting long and floppy out. (Probably just as well I've already gone off sex in number 6 then)
8. Forgetting what a good night's sleep is
9. Starting a subscription with Tena Lady
10. Put on weight

and ...
11.  Grow hairs on your chin and nipples
12.  Be able to tuck your once pert boobies under your belt

I'm desperately looking for some 'Fab Over Forty' forums to tell me how sexy we all are at this age  :-\

GG x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »

I like your humour GeordieGirl  :rofl:
I don't think we should expect the worst from the menopause - there are some fine samples of women who do really well into their later years e.g. Judy Dench?!.
It is a time to really look at your lifestyle and adjust accordingly. DG x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:11:24 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl,
I'm hoping by adjusting my lifestyle you don't mean buying tartan blankets, knitting needles and word search books; giving up on the expensive highlights; stop running around like a teenager ; and heading to BHS for some crimplene slacks?

:o   :o   :o   :o

I am eating healthier - no processed foods and everything home cooked with lots of fresh veg and fish;  I also get a fair amount of exercise and have added Ceroc dancing as a new hobby which gets me off my backside and away from the internet even more. I also get a fair few mental challenges in my work which hopefully keeps the grey matter from calcifying (though still doesn't stop me losing my keys and phone every hour). 

I'd like to say I have no intention of letting the menopause stop me doing what I love doing but as I'm only at the very tip of it, I may have to eat my words somewhere along the line. Here's hoping my optimism can outwit hormonal reality  :)

GG x

P.S. Loving the forum by the way!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »

:lol:

What's 'Ceroc' dancing ?

BrightLight

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »

GeordieGirl please add me to the list of menopause participants hoping to outwit it all. Eating my words isn't an option. Call it denial or a test of positive mindset, time will tell ;)

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »

This has given me a laugh this morning - thanks GeordieGirl!

All of these changes take place over years and years and years - much like with our men! How many years post menopausal are you?

I've only just begun to lose my waist - but I think that's more due to my hysterectomy last year - and I'm 61. Libido did disappear though a few years ago although I am on HRT so I have no idea where I am menopausally!

Taz x  ;D

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »

Look on the bright side!  At least number 4 (loss of memory) means you'll forget all the other things are happening...  ;D

GeordieGirl

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »

CLKD, Ceroc is partner dancing, a 'smooth jive'. It's really fun and quite sexy too .Our class is very similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4I72LY-4J0
Of course I look and dance just like the girl on the video. Ahem.  ;)

Taz2 I'm really not sure how far on the menopause slippery slope I am, I'm 48 and have had a coil for 8 years so didn't have flushes or periods. I'd attributed my sleeplessness and general dottiness to other things, they started to creep in last year. I've an appt with Gynae doc in a couple of weeks and am living in hope of some wonder drug  :)

Dorothy - like your style  :)

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »

:thankyou:  I danced until I was 18  ::)
Pages: [1] 2