Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 1 year in  (Read 3553 times)

tilly71

1 year in
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »

I was told a year ago that I'd begun the change, I'm 43 and my symptoms are getting worse with the start of palpitations, extreme tiredness, my period is two weeks late, my emotions are all over the place, hot flushes are more often, I have a terrible itch and soreness around my vulva, and my sex drive has declined. I am wondering if I should ask about HRT ? I'm quite wary about it and not sure what to do  :-\ :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 1 year in
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »

Have a browse of the menus, left of screen; make notes!

Keeping a mood/food diary can be useful.  Gentle exercise.  Good diet.  Does your Practice Nurse have a 'well woman' Clinic, if so make an appt..

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »

Hi tilly

When you were told you had begun the change - what was the reason you were told this? Was it because of your symptoms? I presume you've had blood tests which will include thyroid function, iron, vitamins etc as well as estrogen levels and FSH?

If you have an early menopause (before 45) - and you are not there yet, then it is advisable to take HRT at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51 to protect bones and heart.

If you are suffering hot flushes as well as the vaginal symptoms then I would definitely start a low dose HRT. Make an appointment with a doctor in your practice whom you know understands and is sympathetic towards women in menopause and is willing to prescribe HRT - this is vital so that you don't get fobbed off!

As far as vulval problems you urgently need some vaginal oestrogen to prevent vaginal atrophy and whihc will help with the itchiness and soreness - but first you need to make sure this is not caused by a fungal or other infection.

Here is the information about vaginal atrophy and treatments:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

and an article:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

In the meantime read up as much as you can about menopause and HRT from the menu on the left and if there is anything we can help you with regarding what type of HRT then please ask! We won't bite ( at least not often  ;D )

Hurdity x

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »

Tilly
We can't tell you what to do but HRT may be the best option to protect you in later life. I was 41 when diagnosed but didn't start HRT till year later when palpitations, moods swings and anxiety came along. I've been in them almost 10 months now and has made a big difference to me. I still get odd off day but cope with it cause I know it's hormones
X

tilly71

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:04 PM »

My doctor told me I was because of the symptoms and my periods where all over the place ie every 3 weeks and very heavy for a while then up to every  6 weeks and scatty. I will go to a well woman check I think that would be a good idea as I am quite ill with all these symptoms at the moment especially at night when I'm woken up very hot with palpitations. I'm getting tightness in my forearm, feels like a blood pressure sleeve is on me, is that normal?

honorsmum

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »

I get night time palpitations with adrenaline rush, racing thoughts, sweats etc. I've also noticed I get severe pins and needles/tingling and sometimes numbness in my hands and arms at night recently, regardless of how I'm lying.

tilly71

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:22:59 AM »

I've been awake since 3.50am, can't sleep at all, this is the same most nights and I'm extremely exhausted most of the day, do I need hrt?? :-\

Kittyjay

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:06:18 AM »

Hi Tilly71- we are same age and Ive been on hrt for nearly 2 years. Ive tried different ones but have eventually found one that suits me and is bio-identical so closest to what our bodies make themselves. The progesterone always makes me sleep really well. I always found that without a good nights sleep everything was always 10 times worse anyway.
May be worth another chat with gp to see if a low dose hrt may help? X

tilly71

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »

Hi kittyjay thank you for your reply at last someone who understands, I feel absolutely awful worst ever, what is your hrt called? I will mention it to my gp, I'm going to ring them on Monday morning and they will see me soon, still no sign of my period although the past few days I've had niggling cramps but I'm wondering if I'm imaging it,

Kittyjay

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

I use estradot patches for the oestrogen part and utrogestan for the progesterone part. However there are many different ones and as people will always say.. What suits one person may not suit another. However it's worth researching the different hrts on here and if you have a preference tell the gp.
I remember having really heavy periods then nothing. It would sometimes ruin everything by sudden full on bleeding for days. I had all your symptoms however have never had hot flashes. I remember waking night after night then being wide awake for what seemed like hours (getting increasingly annoyed by my fast asleep husband!!), then feeling shocking at work the next day, then feeling overcome with "why is this happening to me when I'm only just 41?" .  Are you able to talk to your family/friends about how you are feeling? Xx

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »

Tilly as kitty jay mentioned her HRT is a good regime. I'm on Femoston 1/10 which is bio as well only tablet form but I don't think I'm absorbing it properly or need higher dose as my flushes are back, not been sleeping good and palps again. I'm due next week for review and was going to ask for the same as Kittyjay. I was taking oemprozole for weeksso don't know if it stopped the tablets absorbing as good.
X

Kittyjay do you take Utrogestan orally?
X

Kittyjay

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 10:16:29 AM »

Hi Millykin - at the moment I take them vaginally last thing before sleep. If I need to avoid that route for intimate reasons (sorry can't think of best way to put it!) then I take it orally that night.....! X

Millykin

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:27 AM »

Understand ;) I did wonder what would happen but now I know! Thanks. Definetly think I'm going to change to this regime
X

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »

..... however that takes planning! I pop mine (Utro) in as soon as I get into bed otherwise I'd forget and we don't have a set time for you know what ( well it's rare now anyway   :( ). The times this has occurred it hasn't caused any problems but I'm on a long cycle and so don't use Utro that often....

Hurdity x