Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Cyclical anxiety  (Read 4677 times)

Mrs January

Cyclical anxiety
« on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »

Hi ladies

Ok, i have a mirena ...had it over a year...no periods at all Yippee. I take Oestrogen 2mgs daily buy mouth .....fairly ok, gained some weight and sleep better, few hot flushes.

So I followed advice of  I think CKLD......monitored my mood this last month so two weeks ago ragging anxiety for 3 days ....then since then nothing until this week and I wobble again Mon, tues, weds, coincidence or it this how it is ??? I don't bleed so can't link it to cycle....any ideas please ?

Hugs

Mrs January xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cyclical anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »

>hugs<

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »

Hello Mrs January

Yes, my anxiety is definitely cyclical. This time last year it arrived out of nowhere, and seemed pretty permanent for a couple of months. But then I noticed it seemed to settle down into more of a cycle.

Two GPs tried to convince me that I was suffering with general anxiety. But the fact I could have several perfectly 'normal' days or even a couple of normal weeks, before an anxiety episode made me realise that something odd was going on.

The only other time I have experienced anxiety was when I had PND years ago. That made me realise that my hormones were likely to blame again.

I hope you are feeling better tonight? I tend to find when I am anxious it's fades a lot during the evening.

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:56 PM »

Maybe your body is still cycling?  There are so many hormones involved in this incredible function that it doesn't surprise me that symptoms like anxiety come in a pattern. I sort of feel that my body is still trying to do what it 'normally' does - it feels like a malfunction :)

I have a daily pattern - the anxiety is far worse in the morning and mid afternoon - I link this to dips in energy.  Morning is because I am no longer sleeping well and have to kick start with adrenalin and in the afternoon the same slump.  I think that anytime adrenalin is pumping the effects of loss of hormones will show up more.

honorsmum

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:06:17 PM »

Maybe your body is still cycling?  There are so many hormones involved in this incredible function that it doesn't surprise me that symptoms like anxiety come in a pattern. I sort of feel that my body is still trying to do what it 'normally' does - it feels like a malfunction :)

I have a daily pattern - the anxiety is far worse in the morning and mid afternoon - I link this to dips in energy.  Morning is because I am no longer sleeping well and have to kick start with adrenalin and in the afternoon the same slump.  I think that anytime adrenalin is pumping the effects of loss of hormones will show up more.

I'm the same - morning anxiety kicks off and wakes me up before 6am. After the initial awfulness, which lasts about an hour (while I'm still lying in bed waiting for the alarm), it simmers until midday, then lifts, then comes again before dinnertime. After dinner, it goes until the next morning pretty much. If it isn't there in the early morning, it tends to stay away completely.

BrightLight

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »

I'm the same - morning anxiety kicks off and wakes me up before 6am. After the initial awfulness, which lasts about an hour (while I'm still lying in bed waiting for the alarm), it simmers until midday, then lifts, then comes again before dinnertime. After dinner, it goes until the next morning pretty much. If it isn't there in the early morning, it tends to stay away completely.

I am not alone - hooray :)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

Hello Mrs January.

When you say cyclical anxiety I wonder if you mean something similar to the menstrual cycle?

I am 58 and haven't had a period for four and a half years but a few years ago and before HRT I definitely noticed a change in mood during the month. I often felt okay, maybe even a little cheerful and calm for about two weeks and then my mood would darken and for the next two weeks I'd feel low and on edge. As I say I wasn't having periods but there did seem to be a pattern to it. Having said that I also recognise the daily shift in mood that the other ladies have mentioned where ups and downs occur throughout the day. It's not something I made a note of but I'm wondering if in fact the hormonal fluctuations moved from a monthly to a daily cycle.

I am on HRT patches now, 50 mcg since early December and having felt fine for about a week my anxiety is now back and I'm wondering if it will also last a week. 

I think we all look for patterns at this time as a way of trying to manage the difficulties menopause brings.
All I know for certain is that last week I told a friend I was feeling much calmer and yesterday and today I am a quivering wreck. Hey ho.

Wishing you well.

K.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »

I find keeping a Mood Diary really helps me try and make sense of what is going on. And also it reassures me that 'this too shall pass' because when my mood has dipped it is almost impossible to think I will ever feel bright and breezy again.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »

Hi Mrs January

I can't remember how old you are or whether you were past menopause when you started HRT.

I suspect from what you say that you were still having periods but the Mirena has stopped them?  However it won't actually stop your own hormones cycling in the background until your ovaries finally pack up. If you are under 55 you may well still be experiencing hormonal fluctuations that you can feel through the HRT.

Also as you are on tablet HRT - things going on in your body - eg digestive issues - can affect how much is absorbed so it could be that your oestrogen levels have taken a dip temporarily, which could lead to low mood and anxiety.

Hurdity x

Mrs January

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »

Hi Ladies

Thanks for your help.

I was 50 when I had my mirena changed for another one ..the doctor has issues with insertion due to my uterus shrinking. Yes the mirena has completely stopped my periods, prior to that I had had a year of them being 23 days to six weeks and so so heavy I would need to totally change my clothes. I started at 51 with HRT trying many before i settled with Oestrogen 2mgs orally and daily. I also take 40mgs SSRI Citralopam ...I guess it was meno rather than depression when I started them but I have had  shell of two years with divorce, death ect...so I don't worry re taking them.

I have the usual of tiredness, foggy head, but the anxiety seems to increase at two weekly intervals........like my menstrual cycle, it's a relief to have a pattern  so that I can see it will pass.....been in Peri meno for around 3 years now.

Hugs

Mrs January xx