Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Wolf walking  (Read 6777 times)

NikkiDUK

Wolf walking
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »

Hope this is the place for this! Some ladies here have expressed an interest in my volunteer work at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust. Although there are no longer wolves in the UK (last one shot in Scotland around 1743), we have ten wolves at our centre in Berkshire and they are ambassador animals who have all been hand raised and help raise awareness and funds for their wild cousins. I've been privileged to help raise three of them (the Beenham pack). Have a look at our website (www.ukwolf.org) to see what we do. I'm always happy to answer any questions!
Being out in the fresh air in all weathers and looking after the animals is fantastic and although we don't have wolves in New Zealand, where I grew up, they've become a real passion of mine. They are such a misunderstood animal and it's nice to be able to educate people about them. And when I'm working with them, I forget all about me which is really helpful at this stage of my life.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wolf walking
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »

:thankyou:

I saw wolves being 'walked' at a Country Fair a few years ago, didn't agree with it to be honest.  Think it's OK to introduce the public at a scheme similar to the one which you volunteer with.  But there was so much hype about how dangerous they were and for people not to try to touch them; that the handlers wouldn't be able to control them if the animals decided to run  :-\ that I felt the whole enterprise defeated the object.  When we went to meet them later they were all fast asleep  ::) - like pale coloured Alsations  ::)

I like watching those at Whipsnade.  But I don't think releasing any into the UK countryside would be wise as we are so much more built up in general ………. it's hard enough to stop the persecution of birds of prey.

How often to you go to help?  Were those cubs hand-reared? 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

It's somewhere I've been meaning to visit but not got there yet. It's so important that people understand wolves as they have such a bad press somehow. I feel the same about vultures. They are under such a threat due to the use of diclofenac in cattle and they are a very necessary part of their native countryside.

I will put WCT on my list of places for 2015!

Taz x

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:04:19 AM »

Wow, love wolves.  We saw one in the wild when we went to Canada 8 years age (a timber wolf).  I think they are intelligent, magnificent animals.  I know they are struggling in the wild and need our help.

Will definitely take a look at your website.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »

Thank you! I too have put WCT on my lists of places to visit in 2015. I am interested in any stories you have to tell!

NikkiDUK

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »

The wolves used to go to shows but we stopped that a few years ago when the last wolves that Roger Palmer (the founder of UKWCT) hand-raised and were used to them died (at the ripe old age of 14). You have to be over the top to stop people approaching them - wolves are actually very timid of people they don't know and might panic. You could control them but it wouldn't give a good impression. Although in the case of Duma and Dakota (wolves mentioned above) they actually enjoyed all the attention but were exceptional animals and probably not representative of most wolves! We no longer take our current wolves to shows as feel it's not in their best interests and they wouldn't like it anyway. They much prefer people coming to visit them.
I realise not everyone agrees with hand-raising what is essentially a wild animal but our wolves are all either abandoned or surplus pups from long lines of captive animals so know no other life and we give them the best care we can. They have large enclosures containing a varied habitat and their walks are good enrichment for them as it keeps their minds active. They are imprinted on us and feel secure with us. I take animal care seriously and wouldn't volunteer there if I thought the animals' welfare was compromised.
I volunteer there as much as I can (most weekends). There is a permanent wolf keeper on site - the rest of us (50 or so altogether) are voluntary. It is incredibly rewarding to help educate people about a much maligned animal and helping to hand raise three of our wolves has been a highlight for me. The trust they put in you is quite humbling and they are all fascinating, independent characters.

NikkiDUK

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:52:13 PM »

Taz2, I like vultures too, Amazing birds. And absolutely necessary to the ecosystem. I like pretty much everything really - it all fits together!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »

……. apart from rats and blow flies I tolerate most critters  ;D

No captive situation is 'ideal' but if we didn't have Zoos and private collections, there would be no Conservation Welfare!  I have been going to Whipsnade Zoo since I was bout 5 years old and really really wanted to work there  :-\

Nothing wrong with hand raising animals, look at 'born free'! which raised awareness of how animals in captivity should have more space etc..

Do the wolves have 'kong' like toys etc. to play with?  I noted that the ellies in Whipsnade have a football  ::) ….. and the primates at Twycross have donated toys, they orangs hide in those huge builders 'sacks' (I took 12 up last year) and all the orphans have a cuddly toy  :-*

NikkiDUK

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:09:12 PM »

CKLD, I even like rats - used to have a pet one called Boris. I know zoos get a bad rap in these more "enlightened" times, and there are appalling zoos but in this country we have pretty good legislation and awareness to make sure animal welfare is paramount. Our place has a zoo licence, not because we are a zoo, but it means we have to conform to the strictest guidelines and we can have surprise inspections at any time. Gerald Durrell once said he would love to see his zoo in Jersey close because it meant it was no longer needed - sadly, humans being what they are, zoos are fast becoming places where they will be the only places animals such as tigers or orangutans exist. Some form of social interaction with zoo animals is now known to be important, not only for enrichment but in order to give them medical or other care without having to sedate them which can be risky. Most is done with a barrier between the animals and people for both side's safety but is great to see.
Yes, the wolves have been given Kongs stuffed with food for enrichment before - we do all sorts to keep their minds active. Laying food trails, giving them problems to solve such as how to get food out of a log, old Christmas trees to pull apart (they like the smell and roll around on them) and going out on their walks. A favourite thing on Wolf Keeper days is to get the clients to build a fake deer out of sticks and a treat-filled sack with a real deer's head on top and them let the wolves loose on it. They knock it to bits in a few minutes and whoever gets the deer head has the prize bit! Then it's fun watching them trying to get the head off whichever wolf has nabbed it. I could watch them all day (and do)!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »

Bit like any attack animal then  ::) …….. give a cat a toy and watch  ;) give a dog a Kong  …..

You will miss them when you go 'down under'  ;D

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »

What a fantastic job Nikki! Thanks for posting the info and link.
I remember when I was about 12 we had a guy come to talk to us at school about how misunderstood and caricatured wolves are.
Problem is the farmers (not just the UK). Same as the black bear in the Pyrenees. They tried reintroducing them but some hunters got them, then told improbable stories about having been "attacked".  Are there any plans to reintroduce or is the farming lobby too powerful? Better to have captive breeding by a responsible facility than lose them altogether.

NikkiDUK

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »

No plans to reintroduce them into the UK. Not much suitable habitat for them and 1 pack can quickly become several packs and then they have to be "controlled", if you know what I mean. As a crowded island there's little room for an apex predator like wolves to expand into any more. And people are still terrified of the idea of them roaming about. The fuss over reintroducing beavers gives an insight into the situation. I went to a very interesting debate on rewilding in the UK at the Royal Geographical Society and it's a hugely complicated issue.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:04 AM »

Are you away yet …………