Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: flu anyone?  (Read 12790 times)

Pauline

Re: flu anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Shivering and shaking alternately with feeling on fire seems to be a feature of this germ. Very unpleasant. Hope it soon abates.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »

It amazes me how ill we can feel and still survive! and how I forget how awful I can feel because I don't eat properly/lack of exercise/a bug ………  :-\

pj44

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »

I started last night with the shivering was freezing cold too. Could not get warm. Felt scared as it just came on and i thought i was having a panic attack. I did'nt know if i was ill or having a panic attack. Everything seems so scary when you are on your own. Managed to get 3 hours sleep. Now i am boiling hot. I'm not sure if i am hungry or if my tummy is upset. Just going to have some ginger tea. I was suppose to be looking after granddaughters while my daughter got everything ready for christmas. Feel bad for letting her down but i'm scared incase its catching i would hate to pass anything on so near to christmas. How are you feeling pauline?

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »

Take care of yourself!  Hormones can mimic these bugs too  >:( …….. I was too hot at 2.30 and wondered  :-X but I am OK so far

Pauline

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »

Firstly Happy Christmas to you all. Sorry not to have been in touch but things moved on rather alarmingly after I last wrote.
Sunday morning still felt bad so Andrew got a lift in to our nearest town to do some shopping. Whilst he was gone I remember feeling really sick so tried to get to the bathroom. Silly really as it is upstairs. Andrew returned to find me unconscious at the foot of the stairs so presumably I must have passed out at some stage whilst climbing them. Paramedics. Into hospital. Blood tests, chest Xray and CT scan of head. Result: left lung mild pneumonia!!
Stayed in hospital the rest of Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday. I/V antibiotics given. Home Tuesday evening with oral ABs. Temperature still elevated but feeling a bit better. Now have to cope with "output" whilst on the ABs.
There is, seemingly, a bug going round that affects in this way. If you see it coming, RUN!!!!
Enjoy Christmas if you can. I have just eaten a mushroom burger and carrots. Now that could start a new trend in traditional fare!

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »

Oh I sympathise. Had pneumonia nearly 20 years ago just before Christmas. Hospital, IV antibiotics too. Got home, then became really ill after reaction to the antibiotics & was back in hospital Christmas week, getting out finally day before Christmas Eve.

Don't do what I did & go back to work too early. Set myself back & back in hospital a few weeks later.

Take care of yourself!

toffeecushion

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 08:49:19 PM »

Firstly Happy Christmas to you all. Sorry not to have been in touch but things moved on rather alarmingly after I last wrote.
Sunday morning still felt bad so Andrew got a lift in to our nearest town to do some shopping. Whilst he was gone I remember feeling really sick so tried to get to the bathroom. Silly really as it is upstairs. Andrew returned to find me unconscious at the foot of the stairs so presumably I must have passed out at some stage whilst climbing them. Paramedics. Into hospital. Blood tests, chest Xray and CT scan of head. Result: left lung mild pneumonia!!
Stayed in hospital the rest of Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday. I/V antibiotics given. Home Tuesday evening with oral ABs. Temperature still elevated but feeling a bit better. Now have to cope with "output" whilst on the ABs.
There is, seemingly, a bug going round that affects in this way. If you see it coming, RUN!!!!
Enjoy Christmas if you can. I have just eaten a mushroom burger and carrots. Now that could start a new trend in traditional fare!

You poor thing, I had pneumonia about 15 years ago and never want it again.  I still worry every time I get a sniffle.

Get plenty of rest, don't rush to get back on your feet.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »

It can be difficult to diagnose too ………

:foryou:

Mrs January

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »

Hi There

Not flu but had a cough for  a few days ......ages ago, sniffles, sneezing and a cough...saw GP diagnosed with a chest infection then antibiotics for a week in which time I had to add an inhaler too.....back to Gp yesterday and another week of antibiotics ......second chest infection in 6 months so not good.

Hugs

Mrs January xxx

Pauline

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »

Well, GP has listened to lungs and they are apparently clear. Stopped ABs on Monday last but still feel very weary. Very slight elevation of temperature but guess I am still fighting whatever gave me the pneumonia.
Just resting and getting plenty of fluids into me. Do any of you have experience of the aftermath of pneumonia and what I might expect in the recovery period please?
Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 09:00:44 AM »

Nice to see you on board!  Can't help with the pneumonia, maybe speak to a Pharmacist tomorrow or look at NHS web-site?

:foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »

I think it depends on the type of pneumonia Pauline. I had mycoplasmic which affected me for around six months after the initial phase. I was in bed for the first three weeks - just couldn't stand up - and then confined to the house for a further month. I was unable to work for three months in total but it did affect both lungs and I was allergic to the best antibiotic for it.

It's good that your lungs are now clear although I had a chest x-ray just to check as sometimes you can have a residual pocket deep in the lung which is stubborn to clear. If your temperature remains raised I would definitely go back to the doc and not leave it. What symptoms did you have before the pneumonia hit?  You might find some useful information on this site http://www.blf.org.uk/Page/pneumonia.

Taz x  :hug:

Witches Cat

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

My sister had what was diagnosed as a chest infection a month before Christmas, antibiotics didn't touch it, got given more of the same, still no better, went downhill fast, she has to be careful, has got myasthenia gravis and can't have an awful lot of stuff normal folk would be given and that includes flu jab. Grandchildren had the nasal spray flu stuff and it seems passed the flu it on to her, as kiddies get a sort of live version of the flu prep.  So she ended up being taken into hospital Christmas day, and linked up to an antibiotic drip that was safe for her while they tried to work out what was wrong, during this her kidneys failed so she was then taken to the renal ward, and after a week it was found she had pneumonia and kidney failure due to swine flu given to her most probably by the grandchildren. She came home again new year's eve and it will prob take her months to recover...

Millykin

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »

My daughter had pneumonia last year, she didn't feel too unwell but I was convinced something major was going on, breathing really fast. I took her to AE trying to convince them to X-ray her and eventually they did and the look in their faces was a picture! Severe on both lungs. I've never seen people move so fast getting IV drips ready. I had took her to GP that morning but they said lungs clear. She was in for a week and when she came home she realised how unwell she had been feeling. The month before she was in due to PE. Took a few months to get back on her feet and still has weak chest. My friend had it too and cause she was bit older it floored her, 3 weeks in hospital, 6 months recovery.
X

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

Floored me when I had pneumonia. Heaps of ABs by drip in hospital. Was in for about 5 days. Of course, me being me in those days pushed myself to do stuff, went back to work too soon. In total probably about 3 months to fully recover. Nowadays, I listen to my body more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3