Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is anyone on HRT and thyroxine?  (Read 23459 times)

Cassie

Re: Is anyone on HRT and thyroxine?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 09:27:27 AM »

Well someone stated in an earlier post that you should avoid having milk with it & I have milk in my tea, so was not sure... :-\

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »

calcium or products containing calcium are best not taken with thyroxine as the calcium can bind to the thyroxine so inhibiting the absorbtion. As milk contains calcium it is best not taken within 4 hours of thyroxine. Hope that helps  :)

scriv

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

I am continuing taking my thyroxine in the morning, washed down with a glass of water and a cup of tea (with milk) usually about half an hour before breakfast.

Breakfast for me is usually porridge with milk, followed by a cup of tea, again with milk.  And mid morning, so often within 4 hours of taking my thyroxine, I often have a milky coffee.

I plan to continue this regime which has served me very well for 21+ years. We are all different and must do our own thing, but I'm afraid I take no notice of thoughts that we are not supposed to take it within so many hours of this or that unless it specifically comes from my GP or my pharmacist.

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »

Me too Scriv, I take mine with tea every morning (I take milk too).  Done this for 23 years, never had a problem.

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

sorry if I sounded know all, it wasn't my intention neither was it my own thoughts. I was just sharing what my endocrinologist advised me many years ago because Cassie had asked the question.

scriv

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 04:39:31 PM »

Hey, no problem, babyjane - just responding to the theory and giving my own thoughts and experience, not arguing against you :)

But I am still sceptical, lol, but as ever, this is just my humble opinion based on my body and my personal experience of 21+ years.

littleminnie

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »

No problem Babyjane, it works for me but it's not to say that it would be the same for everyone.

janine scott

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »

Hi yes I take 175 mg daily and just started hrt patches am nervous about it but have to try its a total nightmare with all the awful symptoms am only on a low dose of patches

Janine

scriv

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

175mcg seems a very high dose, janine? I am only on 100mcg. I have been on 100 most of the time other than a spell at 125mcg when there were some dodgy 100s on the market.

babyjane

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »

sometimes, especially with Hashimoto's when you don't make any of your own thyroxine naturally, the dose can need to be higher. If your thyroid still produces some thyroxine but needs a little help then the dose can be lower.

I am on T4/T3 combination therapy but before that I was on a very high dose of thyroxine. My T4/T3 combined make an equivalent dose of 125mcg, it has come down from an equivalent of 150 since a change of brand recently.

janine scott

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »

Hi scriv yes I used to be on 200 I had my thyroid removed when I was 19 its very hard trying to deal with symptoms if menopause when thyroxine levels are working against it too xx

scriv

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »

Oh yes, janine - I can imagine. In your case your thyroxine is effectively complete replacement, isn't it? I experienced a dramatic decrease of thyroid function when I had an early menopause at aged 39. But the thyroid did continue to produce some of its own.

Apparently that is a common, but chicken and egg situation. No one seems really sure whether hypothyroidism causes early menopause, or whether the early menopause brings on the hypothyroidism.

Whatever, the result is not very nice for the sufferer when the both sets of hormones are playing up. :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 08:30:15 AM by scriv »

renee

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 12:18:21 AM »

Just to update everyone....my bloods to check my thyroid and iron levels came back fine, I had a full blood count done and it's fine!!

Im still feeling awful, insomnia has returned even though I'm now taking Doxepin!!

Tired, tearful and very dry skin. Hot and like a ****ly heat feeling at times....Im on 2 mg of Climagest and of course my 100mcg thyroxine. Iv spaced out my doses with a gap of 4 hours.

I didn't get a period last month inbetween the 1mg pack and now 2 mg of Climagest and Im supposed to. I have 9 days left of this pack and will wait and see if I get a period on the higher dose...if not then I will probably have to change HRT again.

Im going to ask about Femoston as Iv read a lot of positive comments about it on here.

Rant over....lol 🎅🎄⛄️⭐️❄️

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »

Sorry to hear this renee

If Climagest doesn't do the trick you might like to think of using a transdermal HRT - partly because of the greater consistency in dosage, and because thyroid medication is not thought to interfere with oestrogen as part of HRT when used transdermally, although it does when used orally meaning you need to adjust the dosage of HRT.

Hurdity x

scriv

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »

Aha, maybe that explains why i never had any problem with HRT and with thyroxine at the same time. I always used patches. x
Pages: 1 [2] 3