Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Some difficulty inserting Vagifem pessary  (Read 24959 times)

babyjane

Some difficulty inserting Vagifem pessary
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »

I have used Vagifem for 4 years now and have never had much trouble with it. The last couple of months it has not been so easy to insert. It doesn't just slide in now but seems to meet some resistance about half way up.  Also it doesn't go in as far as it did, but if I wriggle it around it will eventually get there.  Wondering what this could be all about?

honeybun

Re: Some difficulty inserting Vagifem pessary
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Not sure although it could maybe be a slight prolapse.
I did read that the majority of women have this to some extent or other.
I suspect I do and its something I need checked.

Perhaps ask at your next smear test.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help more.

Honeyb
x

Suzi Q

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »

Baby Jane sometimes that happens to me sometimes it glides in sometimes it jerks in
Feels like its resisting But its in  it helps to lye back on the bed legs akimbo put applicator at the opening
With my fingers make sure its in the right place when I do that it goes in OK
DO NOT EVER put anything on the applicator xxxxxxxxxxx

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »

I don't have smear tests honeybun as I don't have a womb. but I will certainly mention it next time I see my lady GP. I just wondered if anyone else finds this happens.

Suzi Q thank you for your post, I never put anything on the applicator. thank you for the lying down idea I have always inserted in the bathroom standing up.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »

Yep used to happen to me - it was a prolapse. Lots of women have them where either the bladder has fallen into the front wall of the vagina causing a bulge, the bowel has fallen into the back wall of the vagina causing a bulge or the womb has fallen into the vagina... causing a bulge. Do you try to put it in standing up? If so you  may find that by lying down the problem disappears as the prolapsed vaginal wall falls back into place.

Taz x

scriv

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »

Sounds like a possible prolapse to me as well. Do you have any other discomfort in that area? You could do pelvic floor exercises to see if you could tone up the muscles a bit?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:14 PM »

Yes exactly that babyjane - me too! In fact I started a thread too when it first happened to me (ages ago). I used Orthogynest pessaries for years (still got a few left  :) ) but Vagifem when I am using Utrogestan vaginally. Because the Utrogestan is at night I do the Vagifem in the morning so insert it standing up in the bathroom. I have to get the angle just right or it just hits something half-way in. Sometimes I wiggle it around and can't find anywhere where it will go in but always does eventually (if I don't panic!). I assumed from what people told me on here it was probably a slight prolapse but nothing to worry about (not sure when these become a problem?). I should remember to go and lie down on the bed to do it!!!

Hurdity  x

scriv

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:38:40 AM »

Hi Hurdity and everyone :

Prolapses become a problem when they become uncomfortable eg a constant feeling of a dropping/dragging feeling and/or the sensation of a tampon slipping out. In the bad cases, they protrude and are tangible. Sometimes they can be accompanied by a low backache, especially if you have a rectocele.

They may become a problem in sex and present as an obstacle to your partner. Can be very offputting to him.

Sometimes you feel as if you are sitting on an egg at the front - or like sitting on a sausage at the back -  and whichever kind of prolapse you may have, the organ concerned gets harder to control with associated symptoms of leaking when you sneeze if you have a cystocele - and it being hard to keep clean if it is a rectocele.

This is my personal acccount of the main symptoms of mine when the prolapses became a problem. Pelvic floor exercises do help, as does avoiding too much heavy lifting.

Hope this helps.

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »

YUKOOOO SCRIV
I thought everyone inserted stuff lying down?
I even put tampons in that way?
So would that mean if I stood up I could see if I have a prolapse PLUCK I hope not ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

scriv

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »

No Suzy, fear not!

It is only when a prolapse gets extreme that you feel as if you had a tampon in there which is slipping out.

And it is only when it gets very extreme that the prolapse is tangible from the outside - and by that time you are experiencing real discomfort.

Sorry if I didn't describe it properly and confused and worried you!!!

xx
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:49:57 AM by scriv »

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »

well I am reassured that this seems to be a normal-ish thing.  I won't go racing off to the doctor's (not that I race anywhere these days) but I will mention it when I see her next and she can check it out. I think my pelvic floor muscles aren't too bad as I can stop my wee in mid flow.

Thanks all for your comments  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »

Inserting tampons lying down SuziQ? I think I've read that wrong  ;D I've never inserted them or any of it (Vagifem) lying down except the utrogestan and orthogynest pessaries as I do these in bed!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »

I always insert laying down!  Never could put tampons in because my vagina is too short  ::) ……… if 1 stands up surely gravity pulls the pessaries downwards? 

scriv

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »

Me neither, Hurdity

Suzi Q

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 03:54:15 AM »

That came out wrong when in them thar far off days over 22 years ago now when I had the CURSE
I never used Tampons cos theyd fall out. Id insert one OH and never used one till after Id had a child
In it would go and with in half an hour it would be at opening saying hELOOOO
But when I did use them and it was only if I was going out at night or swimming I lye on the bed and do it
With Ortho Ovestin and now Vagifem I just lye back n the bed as if Im having a smear and insert it easy!
Pages: [1] 2 3