Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Timing HRT with cycle.....  (Read 5297 times)

Liz

Timing HRT with cycle.....
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »

Hi ladies - wonder if anyone can help?

Been on the Oestrogel for just over a month, spotting in between and had a bleed two weeks ago (on the Oestrogen part of the HRT, not on withdrawal of the Progesterone).  It looks as though another bleed may be imminent.  If this happens, do you think I could treat the first day of the bleed as Day 1 of my cycle, in an attempt to "re-set" my HRT to try and coincide with my cycle.  In effect, I would be delaying my Utrogestan phase for a couple of weeks, as I'm due to start the Utro at the weekend - would this be a problem?

Or should I just carry on with the cycle being out of synch with the HRT in the hope that it may come right. 

Wasn't banking on two weekly periods on the HRT, it was one of the reasons I went on it in the first place......

I tried to call my GP today but she's away this week, so any thoughts would be welcome.  Thank you!

SueRoe

Re: Timing HRT with cycle.....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »

Liz, I had exactly the same thing happen when I started HRT in March. I phoned my GP and she told me to carry on with the HRT and ignore what my own cycle was up to. I did that ,but I think now that I would do what you are proposing to do. Having said that, I think until you've got more experience of your reactions to your new HRT you might be best making a quick call to your GP. Also, you'll probably find that as your own cycle goes more and more astray with time that trying to keep your cycle and your HRT together will drive you nuts!

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »

Hi
I started my HRT on my cycle to keep it even. first 3 months ok then had nothing for few months, then a bleed after oestrogen then nothing for couple of months then bleed after oestrogen again so I would just stick with it as your own hormones will come in to play anyway and maybe muck things up.
X

Liz

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »

Thanks both of you!  May I ask..... have your cycles settled down now (ie, are you getting your bleeds at the "correct" time, on withdrawal of the Progesterone phase?  I'm not liking the idea of 2 weekly periods on HRT, was one of the reasons I went on it...

SueRoe

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

Liz, I bleed rarely now, but if I do it's in the withdrawal from progesterone, yes. Maybe I'm later in the perimenopausal process then you - I'm 53 and have been perimenopausal for...oooo...forever it seems, but definitely since my mid-forties. But you can't really apply what happens to other women to yourself; we're all different, and it can take a few "cycles" for things to settle down anyway. My advice would be to follow the instructions you've been given by your GP/the leaflet in the packet, enjoy what benefits you're getting from your HRT, and contact your GP when she returns if you need to. 

Liz

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »

Thanks Freda - yes, I think I'll do that, even if it means putting up with two periods this month. :)

Liz

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »

So.....it looks as though I'm having a bleed start now (which is actually only day 12 of my cycle (not due to start the Utrogestan until Saturday)........ shall I definitely carry on as usual and start the Utrogestan on Saturday.  I assume this will mean I may get another bleed in a couple of weeks' time. 

Alternatively, I could count this as Day 1 and not take the Utrogestan for 15 days yet, in the hope that I may not have another bleed for around 28 days....... (but that would mean the Utrogestan would be a couple of weeks late).

Sorry for all these questions, ladies, but like I said my GP is away this week and the other GP is not very HRT-friendly!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »

Hi Liz

I would definitely carry on as you should do ie take the utrogestan at the right time ie Day 15 - 26 of your cycle from when you started counting. I presume your original Day 1 was Day 1 of the bleed of a normal cycle though - that's the main point - was your Day 1 correct?

The thing is as has been said - your own hormones will take over sometimes and if your body decided to have a bleed after 2 weeks and then maybe wait a couple of months before bleeding again naturally, there's nothing you can do about it. Eventually as Freda says when you get further towards menopause the bleeding will tend to happen more and more just as a withdrawal and not in between.

Hurdity x

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »

Hi
Ye I would just carry on as Hurdity said. As for your earlier question has things settled, I have been on HRT for 8 months first 3 bleed after prog tablets then had 2 bleeds in last 4 months lasting a day when just finishing oestrogen tablets, bit out of sync but no big deal. My periods were every 3 or 4 months before HRT. Have been offered higher dose but happy at the moment.
X

Millykin

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »

Just to add I'm 44 and was diagnosed as early meno few years ago about 3. Tried one HRT but didn't like so left it alone for a while but decided to try again as felt older than my years, sore joints, lack of energy, skin thinning.... All improved now except periods but GP said not too worry quite normal
X

Liz

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »

Thanks Hurdity and Millykin - really appreciate your help.

I'm going to do as you suggested and take the Utro on Saturday as planned.

Yes, Hurdity - when I started the HRT I started on the first day of the period, so that was Day 1.  Everything's just gone a bit hay-wire since then.  I don't mind, but it's just the thought of having two periods in a month that's a bit yuk! :(  I'm having to carry towels with me all the time now, as I never know when I'm going to get another bleed.  Hey ho!  Part of the joys of perimenopause, I suppose!

Thanks again!

PS - Hurdity, would you mind if I asked a question?  I think where I've got confused is that I thought HRT would over-ride my own cycle (like the Pill used to)........ but this doesn't seem to be the case..... Does HRT work differently to the Pill in that respect?  Hope that's not a silly question, but I think that's where I've got a bit muddled with regard to my own cycle, etc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:23:06 PM by Liz »

Liz

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »

So, this morning I'm just having heavy spotting again.    The surgery have asked my GP to ring me later to discuss it.

Millykin

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »

Hope you get on ok
X

Liz

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

Thanks - GP confirmed to carry on with scheduled Utrogestan on Saturday and she said it will hopefully settle down over the next couple of months or so.  Hope so - don't fancy carrying on with two periods a month. ???

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »

Hi Liz

Re your previous question - I don't really know how the pill works, but HRT is only a very low dose of oestrogen and progesterone, so your own cycle can break through if it is strong now and again. As you get further towards menopause and your oestrogen levels fall and ovulation is occasional, then the HRT cycle becomes your only one. I think the pill contains very high doses of synthetic oestrogens as well as progesterone and prevents ovulation?

Someone else may know more about the CCP. I've never really looked into it as I only used it for a year when I was 23 and stopped as I didn't get on with it!

Sorry not to be of more help!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2