Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Multi-gyn Actigel  (Read 17472 times)

Liz

Multi-gyn Actigel
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:31 PM »

Can I ask those ladies that use the Multi-gyn Actigel....... how often/how much would you recommend using it for prevention of thrush??  Just ordered 4 tubes (bulk offer), so just trying to find out the best method of using it.  I don't think I need it for "dryness", just hopefully to prevent repeated attacks of thrush.

Many thanks!

Dancinggirl

Re: Multi-gyn Actigel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »

We are all different so I can only speak from personal experience and you may have to experiment with other product till you find the one that suits you.
I use about an inch of the gel applied to the end of my finger and I push it up inside and around the outside after my shower each night.  If you tend to have a shower in the morning I'd still use this before going to bed, after the shower in the morning and also after sex.
If you have signs of thrush e.g white cottage cheese type discharge, you feel itchy and sore, then attach the applicator to the tube which you can then insert into your vagina to apply internally - I'd do this morning and evening for 2-3 days.  I do this every couple of weeks anyway.  If you use a big amount every night you all get through a tube very quickly and it gets rather expensive - I still generally get through 2 tubes per month.
Hope it helps - it certainly won't do any harm.   Dg x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »

Thanks Dg. As soon as the gel arrives, I will start using it at night after my shower and see what happens.

I'm feeling a bit down tonight to think that the HRT may be causing this.......

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »

I personally doubt that HRT actually causes thrush - I think it is more to do with the menopause and our natural balances being out of true.  In my experience systemic HRT doesn't necessarily improve the dryness in the vaginal area - this is why many women need to have local oestrogen as well as systemic HRT. It seems to be quite common to get more vaginal and UTI infections during peri and post meno simply because the natural acidic environment in the vagina is not maintained.
i was a professional dancer and dances are notoriously prone to thrush simply because we sweat so much, wear lycra etc so inevitably are open to this kind of problem. I'm afraid tight trousers are out, along with tights or anything that makes one hot and sweat around our lady bits.  Sex is another trigger - I believe semen is alkaline so is going to upset the acidic balance - this is why it's good to use this gel after sex.
Hope you feel more comfortable soon.   Dg x

Liz

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:40 AM »

Thank you, DG!  I hear what you're saying...... hence we're going to try using condoms and see if that helps.  Will use the gel as soon as it arrives.

I'm glad you don't seem to think the HRT has caused it in itself.  I'm only using 1 pump Oestrogel,so can't reduce it, would only mean stopping it completely.  (Unless I'm not using enough???)  Trouble is, my boobs got very very sore when I was using 1 and a half pumps per day.

Liz

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »

Just received my Multigyn today and used some a while ago (thought I may as well give it a try straightaway as I was a bit itchy earlier).  It did sting a bit for a while but then settled - I assume this is normal.

Is it better to use it internally or externally to prevent thrush? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:41:11 PM »

It will sting a bit to start with(it is mildly acidic with good reason) but I usually find it soothes after that.   I'd use it mostly up inside but a bit around the external area is a good idea as well.
Hope it helps.  Dg x

Liz

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »

Thanks Dg!  It only stung for a very short while and then the irritation went!  Fingers crossed it helps - it certainly gets good reviews on the internet!

It says to use 3 times a week for thrush prevention, so will give that a go,  Assume it means up inside?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

As I said before - I tend to use a little each evening before bed but a good squirt up inside 3 times a week would probably be a good idea.  I try to eek it out as it can get a bit expensive using it all the time but I do tend to rely on it these days.
Last weekend I got some of that 'tell tale' white blobs in my vaginal discharge and I was feeling a little sore, so I did some good squirts morning and evening for a couple of days and things cleared up really well.
Dg x

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

I read somewhere (and sorry, I have forgotten where) that lower oestrogen results in more dead cells, which break down and provide the sugars that thrush thives on.  I thought it was all BV after meno, because of the change in pH.

I have been trying get down to using the 2 vagifem pessaries per week, but have come to the conclusion I need 3/4 and the acti-gel is helping.  I get so fed up of having sore bits  :(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »

dahlia - my understanding is that it is difficult to maintain a good ph level (which should be slightly acidic in the vagina) for many different reasons.  Pregnancy can make us vulnerable to thrush and at certain times in the hormone cycle when young.  I think the menopause brings even more problems with not only a lack of the natural lubricant to keep things healthy but also getting so hot and sweaty with the flushes.  HRT will help to a certain degree but the extra local oestrogen certainly seems to be vital for many of us. For many years I have found the I've needed the Actigel to help keep things healthy whether I am on HRt or not.  I think we all have to find ways of managing our 'intimate areas'.  At least with this site we are exchanging ideas and discussing these rather embarrassing issues.
I am trying systemic HRT again but I am going to keep using local oestrogen and the Actigel as well.
My mission is to keep the burning, itching and soreness away - it's such bliss when I feel comfortable down there.
If being back of systemic HRT gives me a better nights sleep I'll be a really happy bunny :)  DG x

Liz

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »

Well, after two treatments of oral thrush tablet, I'm still feeling a bit itchy and sore down below (started using the Actigel which has helped though), so I'm wondering if I'm just suffering from a bit of "dryness", rather than thrush this time.  Got a bleed at the moment, but if it's still there once this is over, I'm going to the GP's to have a swab taken to see if there is any thrush there.

In the meantime, going to use the Actigel at night and see if that helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

It's very common to get some itchiness with the bleed.  Dg x

Liz

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »

Yes Dg, and the pads don't help either, do they? :(