Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause HRT help x  (Read 5031 times)

Butterfly22

Perimenopause HRT help x
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »

Hi all I've not posted for a while, been on CYCLO-PROGYNOVA 2mg* since august but just wondering should I be on this as having an early menapause. Started at 25 now 41 had so much trouble with HRT but I'm just not sure on this. I've tried to give it a good go but feel so low and so angry when on the red tablets, I've a constant headache and feel so run down. Just not sure what to think of it all anymore xx

Dancinggirl

Re: Perimenopause HRT help x
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »

Hi lila22
i had a premature menopause so i can sympathise with your problems. I had to try a number of different HRT preparations.  I found Norgestrel(which is in Cyclo-Progynova) gave me terrible PMT and headaches etc. 
I ended up on Oestrogel with 10 days of Norethisterone which was the best option at that time (this was nearly 20 years ago).  These days many women, who have problems with the progesterone part of HRT, use Utrogestan as it is bio identical, therefore kinder and often better tolerated.
The other alternative which also has a kinder progesterone is Femoston - have you tried this one? If you haven't, I'd give this a go as it tends to suit many women very well.  There is a 2/10 version in the sequential which may be worth trying.
Have you been to a meno clinic or seen a gynaecologist ? - I'm afraid GPs are often not the best ones to know how to treat premature meno.
At your age it is important to find an HRT that suits you.
Good luck   DG x

Butterfly22

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »

Hi dancingirl thank you for your reply, I was on oestrogen but the alcohol in it made me I'll, I no that sounds silly but i also have ME so chemical sensitivity which is making it worse. I tried it for a few months but was spending to many days in bed, tried the patch that was no good I have tried a lot I think I tried a low dose of femoston I will look into this, I was At a clinic but moved to the country a couple of years ago and my doctor said she knows enough to help me! I am wondering mind as still not settled and been two years xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »

Hi Lila22
You must be very sensitive - poor thing.  I'd try the higher dose of Femoston = 2/10.
The progesterone is kinder and may well help your mood - it suits lots of women very well.
Keep us posted  Dg x

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »

Hi Lila22
You must be very sensitive - poor thing.  I'd try the higher dose of Femoston = 2/10.
The progesterone is kinder and may well help your mood - it suits lots of women very well.
Keep us posted  Dg

Can I just ask do I get a period on the femoston? Also how many days do I take it? I should be getting a period on the one I'm on but nothing, feel like I really need one. Thanks for all your help btw xxxx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:28:25 PM by lila22 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

If you take Femoston sequi you should get a withdrawal bleed a couple of days after you finish the progesterone part of the regime.  I assume, by now, you are actually post menopause so won't actually be producing much oestrogen yourself.  I am certainly no expert in these matters but logically the HRT you are on now would probably only be appropriate for someone who is peri menopausal and still producing some oestrogen.  The 7 days without anything on the Cyclo regime would make you hormone levels drop  - this would have an effect on your mood and may be why you are not getting any bleed - your uterus probably isn't building up enough. 
Perhaps give the 2/10 sequential Femoston a go and see if it suits you.
ME is really challenging and being very sensitive to various drugs etc. make it things very tough.  i know some ladies with ME find their symptoms improve when they find the right HRT.
Good luck  DG x

Butterfly22

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »

Yes I was thinking should I be on this on as not had a proper period since I was 26, 41 now.
I'm at the doctors Wednesday I will ask to try the femeston looking at the list the femeston is in the permi menopause not post is that ok ?Xxx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:02:02 PM by lila22 »

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »

Lila - if you are sensitive to the progesterone you may well be better off maintaining a cycle but as Dancinggirl says if you don't build up enough lining you may not get a bleed. However with a higher dose of oestrogen (which at your age is more beneficial!), you may well bleed.

The only disadvantage with cyclical HRT is the sudden rise and fall in progestogen on the combi pills - but at least the oestrogen levels stay the same on all other HRTs, unlike with the Cyclo-progynova

Unfortunately Femoston conti is only available at low dose (or ultra low) but the Femoston 2/10 ( ie 2 mg estradiol) is for peri - which means you will take progestogen for 12-14 days out of the 28.

I know we have discussed your situation and the different HRT types before and I can't remember if you've tried oestrogen patches and Utrogestan yet? You may well be able to get a higher dose of oestrogen with a patch if you are not absorbing the tablets well - but try the Femoston first and fingers crossed this one will work for you.

If it does and you don't want a bleed you would need to persuade your doc to prescribe double the quantity of Femoston conti to give you sufficient oestrogen....

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »

Hi Hurdity thank you for reply, I did try the patches but brought me out in acne, so I would be ok taking the femeston 2/10 even though it's for peri menapause and how many do I take though out the month, I'm really confused, do I take the femeston for so many days then the pro? Sorry I just can't seem to get all the HRT types ,ways, in to my head. I would not mind a period as I feel like each month I need one but dose not come.x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »

All HRT you take every day without a break apart from one which isn't used much.

The tablets will be of two types - half will be oestrogen only and the other half will contain oestrogen and the progestogen combined in one pill (usually a different colour). In the cyclical type ( ie Femoston 1/10 or 2/10) the bleed should follow withdrawal of the progesterone ie shortly after going back onto the orestrogen only pills. It is normal to experience some pms type symptoms just before the withdrawal bleed.

Hurdity x

Butterfly22

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »

Great well I'll see if I can give this a go, mind I'm close to giving up been to long trying to find something xx