Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety  (Read 15606 times)

Dandelion

Re: Dealing with anxiety
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »

For me, the worst thing about the menopause has been the crippling anxiety. I have been suffering from it for years (about 7-8 I think). For the past few years it has been kept in check but my world has grown so much smaller. I very rarely go out, do no exercise. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason behind what does or does not cause the anxiety to overwhelm me. Some things I sail through without a thought, other things (like meeting my sister for lunch) can leave me paralysed with fear. Even though I have done it loads of times before. I live on my own, neither do I have family and when the anxiety gets really bad, there is no outside distraction to help me or to gain confidence from. I tend to curl up and become overwhelmed.

It is only recently that I have realised how small my world has grown - and this is at a time when I should be broadening my horizons and getting out there to enjoy life - I have the time, the money but also the fear.

I have just read a book by Paul David 'At last a life'. He advocates doing things despite how you feel and to accept the feelings of anxiety but not try to control them - in fact, to stop fighting to get better. Similar to the Claire Weekes books which I read years ago.

So, to cut a long story short - this is the beginning. I aim to go out more even if it is just a short walk to the local café for a coffee, to do more - I have just joined a gym and intend to do 2 classes a week, to do these things regularly despite how I feel. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions but I hope to prove that wrong! I know it is going to be hard but I must get a life.
Wish me luck!
Bramble
Best of luck Bramble. x
I felt sad for you at first but when I read the end of your post I felt happier for you
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:37:44 PM by Dandelion »

Suzyq

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 03:51:25 PM »

It will get easier! And you will get the most benefit from doing these things when you feel anxious as you will know that despite the anxiety you did it! Keep a diary - it's great for those down days where you feel like you're not improving, as you can clearly see just how much you are improving!! And don't forget to celebrate every achievement ...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »

When very ill with anxiety I had a scale of 1-5 : I would write on the calendar which I had each day so that I could look back - often couldn't remember what the anxiety levels were like but it is on-going  :-\ ………..

Should take my own advice …….

bramble

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »

THEY always say do things even though you are anxious and it will get easier. Not! I was on my way to my hobby night last night - once a week for the past 3 years - and I felt as nervous and anxious about it as I did three years ago! How does that work - or not?
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »

Did you go?  'they' have never suffered!!!!

bramble

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

Well, I am still walking despite how bad/well I feel. And the strange thing is that I feel much better for it! Not when I am out doing it (I still feel as though I am going to collapse or can't get breath) but afterwards I feel my anxiety lessening. I do a walk every day (not talking miles) of about 15-20 mins and keeping a note of the number of steps. It is very uplifting to see the numbers increase week on week. Whoever said that we should walk 10000 steps a day (5 miles) is obviously not retired and in the house every day. It was shocking how few steps I did just flitting around the house on my own! Still doing my Pilates class and hoping to add a yoga one in every week.
Onwards and upwards for the New Year!
Bramble
PS. May even try going to get some food shopping at a supermarket this week instead of getting it delivered!

Suzyq

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Well done! Just look how far you have come in such a short time! This is exactly how it went for me when I decided enough was enough. I did things feeling terrible but felt great after - now I have virtually no anxiety and if I get a little blip, I just carry on regardless .... You have taken the hardest steps, it's all easier from now. Here's to 2015 being your year!!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »

Rather than pinning yourself down to shopping, go into the store, have a browse, pick up a soup packet and read the contents: replace soup packet and leave whilst you're ahead.  Next time, stand and watch the queue to see how you feel.  After that, dry shopping when it's less likely to be busy  ;)

bramble

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »

Well, it has been 8 weeks since I started 'stepping out'. I have been increasing the number of steps I take every week and am now walking the number of steps in a day that I was walking in a week! And I feel the better of it. My anxiety has decreased and for instance I was at the dentist this week. Before, I would be really anxious for days before I went - this week I was only anxious on the day. Result! My background anxiety is better too. I intend to keep it up. I have been out in all weathers every day - rain, wind, snow and hailstones. I do not allow myself to use the weather as an excuse as I have a perfectly good waterproof anorak and over trousers.

I have gone all geeky with it and log my steps in an excel spreadsheet with graphs of average number of steps in a day and weekly total. It is uplifting to see the graphs head steeply upwards!

It may not work for everyone but it does seem to be helping me. Onwards and upwards, pedometer at the ready! ;D ;D
Bramble

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »

I think that's excellent bramble, really admirable  :)

Oh has his FitBit and uploads it up to the computer each night, he is really fanatical about doing it. I bought FitBit Flex today and hope I can be just as dedicated.

OH has spread sheets for everything even keeping account of our monthly eating out allowance ::)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:23:49 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »

FibBit  :-\ …….

Glad the exercise is helping!

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »

This will tell you all about FitBit CLKD

http://www.fitbit.com/uk/whyfitbit

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »

Well done bramble.

I am hoping to get back to walking as soon as hubby feels up to it.

:ola: especially in the great Scottish weather we have been having.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »

My brave words the other day are coming back to bite me on the bum! Woke up this morning with toothache and a loose tooth. Off to the dentist tomorrow a.m. for an emergency appointment to get it out. Let's see how good my walking therapy is now!!!!!!

Bramble

Mrs January

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »

Hey Bramble

I had such anxiety once I had to get  neighbour to drive me to to  the dentist for  a root filling.....I sat on my hands the whole time to keep them still. If I can do it and I did you can too honey xx

Mrs January xxx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4