Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Steriod testing - any one had one?  (Read 1983 times)

Smokey

Steriod testing - any one had one?
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »

I'm having one of these at hospital to see if abnormal. :-\

As I am having sudden periods of feeling ill with exhaustion, for no apparent reason, well apart from meno ms and underactive thyroid!

My consultant wanted to rule it out together with lots of other blood tests.

Only thing is to get accurate result I need to come off HRT for six weeks before test.

Ju Ju

Re: Steriod testing - any one had one?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »

Do you mean cortisol levels? Have you seen an endocrinologist? I have that test and my levels were fine. I've forgotten what the test was called.

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »

Thanks Sparkle,

Juju - maybe it is cortisol, it was endocrinologist and he said I have steroid injections over a couple of hours and then tested for level I think :-\
I think he wants to rule everything out to my sudden exhaustion periods I get, he know it could be ms linked,but it also maybe several other things, he has also increased my thyroxin from50mg to 100 incase it is also part of the reason.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »

Sounds like the test I had. It was no big deal. Take a good book to read! Mine was for exhaustion and I have taken steroids for asthma since early childhood.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »

I had this test about 5 years ago to rule out cushings disease.  They did blood test then gave injection into thigh muscle and then half hour later did blood test again.  Then I think I had another blood test hour later or something like that.  My only memory is that the injection into thigh muscle was a bit painful but apart from that nothing to worry about. They also check your blood pressure alot as the injection can put it up alot.  No after effects at all.

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

Thanks girls,it's really helpful to know roughly what the procedure is.

Hopefully it will be normal, I was going to stop HRT for six weeks before test but I think that may make me feel worse, I just have to let the know before, so they can adjust my result accordingly.