Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice and help please !  (Read 7187 times)

Jobo

Advice and help please !
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »

Hi

I have been post menopause for approx 3 years I am 44 and as advised by doctor started HRT approx 18 months ago.  I am now on my 3rd lot of tablets and thought I had got the right ones until a couple of weeks ago.

To cut a long story short I have tried the following:

Premque
Prempak C
Elleste Duet conti 2mg

I suffered really bad on the first 2 especially Prempak these made me feel terrible, was tired all the time,bloated couldn't concentrate then was prescribed Elleste Duet conti - I have been on these now for approx 3 months and although I felt well to start with I feel I am getting the same symptoms again, feel really tired, bloated, irritable, moody, and can't even string a sentence together I forget the most simple things.  As I am only 44 and work full time and am also studying I am finding it a real struggle.

Has anyone else had these experiences or can anyone please offer any advice.

I have seen 2 doctors 1 says I should continue with HRT as I am classed as young and have had an early menopause the other said that I am at the right age for menopause and don't necessarily need HRT - This doctor is however in her late 20's so lets see if she changes her opinion when she is in the menopause and can't remember what day it is when she wakes up!!

Any comments would be really helpful, I am at my wits end don't know what to do :(

Mrs January

Re: Advice and help please !
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Hey

I don't have all the answers to help you, someone else will be along to do that.

For now take a day at a time, be kind to yourself and delegate what you can to others....I have been where you are and it does get easier....hold on in there and I send you hugs

Mrs January xxx

Jobo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »

Thank you Mrs January

What did you do ? I am only 44 and feel like 84!

And I hope someone comes along with some more advice

Thanks again

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »

Hi Jobo,

I've no experience of hrt I'm afraid. Just wanted to say hi. I'm 43 and going through perimeno. From what I've learnt on here, if you've gone through meno you really need hrt to protect your bones and heart up until the age of about 50 I believe.

There are lots of knowledgable ladies on here who will be able to help you I'm sure.

Best wishes xx

meno lesley

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »

Hi

I am a bit older than you but been on hrt for 4 years. I was hit by all sorts of symptoms at 52 so can totally relate to how you feel. For me the only thing that sorted out the totally losing the plot feeling was hrt. I have tried a few but now take Estrogel and utrogestan, I wouldn't say it's perfect as left with a few things but don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did.

I do hope this helps you, keep coming on this site as it has helped me no end.

Lesley x

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »

Hi claireylou
Can I ask why you don't take HRT if you are peri meno? Is it personal choice?
X

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »

Hi there, my periods are still fairly regular so I'm going to wait a while before I go onto hrt. If my quality of life starts to decline then I'm sure that I'll be banging the doctors door down before then  :)

Best wishes xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »

Hi Jobo and welcome to MM
I had a premature menopause so I can relate to your dilemma.
At your age I would definitely continue with HRT to protect you heart, bones and help to prevent vaginal atrophy and bladder problems from taking hold.  Nobody in the medical profession bothers to take the time to explain to women why HRT is so important when you experience early ovarian failure.
Technically you are post menopause, however, continuous HRT involves using progesterone all the time which is the aspect of HRT that can give problems.  This is why many women continue to use sequential HRT well into post meno - this will mean you only use progesterone for part of the month and get a withdrawal bleed after this.

The HRT types you have tried are all notorious for giving problems, particularly the prempak and premique as these are the old fashioned types to HRT.
I would suggest you try something like Femoston sequi - start with the low dose of 1/10 and increase later to 2/10 if need be.  The progesterone in this HRT is kinder and closer to our own natural hormones and is therefore tolerated better by many women.  If you find it does suit you, you could later try the conti version of this HRT.
There are many alternatives I could suggest as well but I don't want to overload you with info at this stage.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.
You just need to find the right HRT for you and so far you have only tried the worst ones - onwards and upwards.   Dg x

Mrs January

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »

Hey Jobo

I started I now realise with peri meno about three years ago . I am now 51 ...my mood changes but then I had a stressful job, unhappy marriage and the needs of my three children to manage....so in Feb 13 I crashed and fell.......ended up on AD's Cirtralopam.

Long story short I now still take ad's same one and have a mirena and use 20mgs Oestrogen by tablet. I am now divorced from said Ex, have a new life but sadly have just had the loss of my eldest son aged 23...I remain whole with  the support of my lovely friends and my younger children 17, 16.

So take each day at  a time, be kind to your self and make the changes you need to achieve happiness ....we do carry on and it isn't called the change for nothing ...the other side is in the future of these harder times

Hugs

Mrs January xx

bramble

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »

The HRT types you have tried are all notorious for giving problems, particularly the prempak and premique as these are the old fashioned types to HRT.

I would disagree with the above opinion. Although they are older types of HRT they would not still be around and prescribed if they 'are notorious for giving problems'. Although they have not suited Jobo, I found they were the best of all 4 kinds of HRT I tried.

Bramble

Jobo

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »

Thank you Dancinggirl for the info and everyone else.  Mrs January I really feel for you, you have not had it easy.

I have heard the femoston is more of a bio-idential hormone so may visit the doctor and ask for this.  I don't want a bleed however as I have found I have had a terrible time with the bleed HRT basically it doesn't stop and as I have not had a period for 3 years don't see the point so will ask for the conti.

I do know of someone that is on Prempak and she thinks its wonderful so it can suit some people and I have heard lots of people rave on about HRT and how good it makes them feel, I have yet to experience this but am not going to give up yet :)

I do k

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »

I was perhaps a bit over the top about premique and prempak - sorry Bramble.  I was put on Prempak C to start with and found it dreadful and there have been quite few women posting on here having the same problem.  I do know that some women find them ok - it just illustrates how different we all are. 

Jobo - If the only sequential HRT you have tried was Prempak C ( when you had trouble with bleeding) I wouldn't rule out trying Femoston sequi because you may not get the problems with the bleed on this HRT. The sedative effect of progesterone, which was the side effect you were really struggling with, can apply to all continuous HRTs so may give you this problem again. Another option for you, if bleeding is a problem, would be to have a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen in gel or patch form.  The Mirena releases a small amount of continuous Progesterone locally where it is needed so, in theory, shouldn't give such strong side effects.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »

:welcomemm:

Jobo

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »

Hi Dancinggirl
Thanks again for the advice and info again.

If I am post menapause and have not had a bleed for 3 years would it not be better having no bleed ?

Thanks again

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »

Hi Jobo
I have probably been post meno for over 10 years now and was on HRT until last autumn.  I am having bladder, atrophy and sleep problems so I'm going to see a gynae privately to ask his advice about how I can cope long term.  If he suggests I try HRt again with the view to using it more long term then I may well go back to sequential HRT so I don't get the sedating effect of progesterone.  I know there are quite few ladies on here who are using sequential HRT well into post meno.
I had a Mirena with Oestrogel post meno for 4 years and it was OK - probably the best 'no bleed' option at the time. You do get some break through bleeding for the first few weeks but after that nothing. I did feel slightly sedated even with the Mirena btu it was still the better option.  WE are all different so i'm afraid it is all trial and error till you find the one that works for you.  Good luck.
DG x
Pages: [1] 2