Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Early period during Utrogestan phase  (Read 9197 times)

NT

Early period during Utrogestan phase
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »

Hi, I'm on my third month of HRT - Estradot 50 and Utrogestan 200mgs to be taken from days 17-28 but if bleeding still erratic I can take it from day 14-28.

Month 1 was fine, I thought I'd found a miracle! Took the Utrogestan from day 17, period came on day 30. The only issue I had was that it was very heavy and dragged on for 8 days but that I could live with in the great scheme of things.
Month 2 I had some spotting on day 20 then my period came on day 29, 1 day after the last Utrogestan. Heavy again but stopped after 5 days for a full 24 he's then started again for 2 more days.
This month my period came on day 24 whilst I'm still taking the Utrogestan. Do I continue to take it? Should I consider starting on day 14 next month? Any other advice?

My background was having been on Cerazette for several years with no bleeding I started bleeding every other week. Came off it and used nothing for 2 years and my cycle settled at 21-25 days. Prior to Cerazette my natural cycle had been 35 days. I had a series of FSH tests which showed I was conclusively menopausal or peri at least. Ultrasound showed nothing untoward other than my uterine lining was thin. I was referred to the POF clinic at the Chelsea &Westminster and here I am!

Cassie

Re: Early period during Utrogestan phase
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »

If you are peri and not post then could be your own hormones still breaking through...hard to say.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »

Hi NT

:welcomemm:

Yes do continue to take the full course of Utrogestan - it is needed to help shed the womb lining that has built up during the month and while you are taking it, the womb lining won't continue to grow. If you have been advised to start taking it from Day 14 in future then why not follow this advice?

Extra progesterone is often needed in peri-menopause because as the ovaries begin to pack up there are cycles in which you do not ovulate and therefore progesterone is not produced. When this happens the womb lining continues to build up and eventually when ovulation does occur bleeding can be heavy. This may well be going on in the background?

Good to hear your lining is thin although the thickness will vary throughout the cycle. My thoughts would be like Cassie said, that if you are peri-menopausal (which I presume you are as you are still on cyclical HRT) then your own cycle of fluctuating hormones ( typical of peri-menopause) could be kicking in and overriding the HRT.

Another explanation is that maybe you are not absorbing the utrogestan - it is a very unstable molecule and I understand that even digestive upsets can effect how much gets into your system. Falling progesterone levels trigger the bleeding.

You haven't said how old you are but I presume you are young if you've been diagnosed with POF?

Here is an excellent article about peri-menopause which explains everything better than I can!
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

NT

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies..I'm 45 Hurdity I'm not sure why the POF clinic as I'm not that young maybe because this has been going on for a few years prior to actually managing to get my GP to refer me? No idea really! Yes I'm peri, last few FSH levels were in the high 50s which I understand is pretty bad.

I will continue to take the rest of this month's Utrogestan and start it on day 14 next month to see if that helps. So if Im having a full on period now - started yesterday (day 24) and am scheduled to take my last Utrogestan on day 28 (Friday) is the withdrawal from that likely to trigger another bleed or will the uterine lining not have built up enough? I bloody hate bleeding especially as whatever thing that needs to kick in to tell my body it can stop bleeding seems to have gone on strike.

I have an Appt with Nick Panay next month (my 3mth follow up)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »

No-one can say when you will bleed NT especially if you are peri! Just have to wait and see - a bit of a bind I know. Hopefully most of it will have happened by then.

Great that you are seeing Nick Panay - he's certainly one of the top gynaes re knowledge and research - would be interested to hear how you get on with him.

Hurdity x

NT

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

Hi Hurdity,
I saw him initially in early September for my first appointment. i was very impressed, he talked me through all the options and checked that all the tests ( scan, FSH etc) were done by my GP and were up to date. I really liked him and he was certainly the right person to see. No nonsense and none of the guff my GP gave me about not possibly being peri despite FSH levels, erratic bleeding etc clearly showing otherwise. Oh and not even a waver about prescribing HRT to an evil smoker ( i know I know) My GP once attempted to try and blame me havng a stomach virus on the fact I have the odd fag  ::)

NT

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »

This period may actually drive me crazy! 3 days full on then yesterday just light brown spotting followed by a light red bleed this morning, nothing after that until another light red bleed tonight. I used to think the brown bit was the end! Last Utrogestan tonight too...let's see what happens