Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ridges on my nails  (Read 12218 times)

annieb

Ridges on my nails
« on: October 24, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »

Over the past year I've noticed that my nails have developed ridges. I first noticed it on a couple of my toe nails but it didn't spread to all of them but now it's started on my finger nails. Worst on both my thumb nails and particularly bad on one of my other nails . A few don't have any ridges at all. They run from the base to the tip and on the worst one it sometimes splits from the top so I have to keep it really short.
Tried to get the doctor interested to no avail so wondered if anyone else has this problem

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ridges on my nails
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

It could be a sign of a deficiency, how about asking a podiatrist?

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »

It's a sign of ageing I'm afraid.  You could try a multi vit, as deficiency sometimes a  cause.  Also Boots sell a nail hardening varnish which is good. 

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

I lightly buff mine so ridges aren't so bad. My mum had awful ridges on her nails for as long as I can remember. She had one that split full length of nail. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »

It can also be a sign of heart disease so speaking with a Pharmacist, podiatrist etc. is the 1st place to begin  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »

My nails have vertical ridges, been like it for years.  My thumb nail has a vertical split that goes half way down the nail so I have to keep a permanent silk repair on it or it will catch.  I think mobile texting weakened it as I text with my thumbs.  the damage is done now.

How can nail ridges be connected to heart disease?  ???

annieb

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »

Heart disease - that sounds a bit worrying. ????

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »

Just a sign of aging.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:07:54 PM »

I have a vertical groove on my middle finger nail on my left hand. It seems to come from the nail bed as my cuticle has gone a bit strange too. The nail is perfectly healthy otherwise. It's very strange. In fact it's not so much a groove as a trough.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:41:03 AM »

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nail-abnormalities/Pages/Introduction.aspx

tells you the more serious side of nail ridging ……..

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »

Ive had very soft nails that break all the time and ridges that are terrible (just fingernails, not toes) for years, since my M.E, so since 1988.  No obvious reason. If I even try to grow them, they just peel off. Not even snap as they're not hard enough to snap.
I tried hardener but hated the feel of it. So now I just keep them very short.
I quite fancy a manicure though. Asked my newly qualified beautician niece to do one when I was last in South Africa but she was a bit unsure of what to do.

Do you have very dry skin? I do and was wondering if it was linked.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »

ridges, autoimmune, stellajane please tell me more as there is a whole host of autoimmune problems in my family through my mother's line and I already have one of them.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16:41 PM »

My nails used to be very soft & peel. In part due to constantly washing hands when working in children's nurseries. They are much better now as I keep them short.

Oldsheep, when mine were at their worst I wanted nice nails for my 50th birthday celebrations. My beautician gave me gel varnish manicure. For those nails which were too short, she lengthened nail using a "frame" & gel. It was very effective. It was a French manicure.

Smokey

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »

Hi

I'm sure I read somewhere ridges in your nails was either anemia or thyroid problem.

I have both but no ridges on my nails!
Autoimmune problems - well I have Ms and my son has Diabetes!

Babyjane if you don't mind me asking what's yours?

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

Hi Smokey, I was going to say, I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so maybe that's why I have ridges on my nails. 

Mum had Hashimoto's, Diabetes and Pernicious Anaemia, Aunty had Rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes and maternal Grandad had those 2 as well, other Aunty has thyroid problems, Great Grandmother had RA and PA and Great Grandfather had something but not sure what,

Maternal Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were 1st cousins so there is an extra strong family history of all this.

Sorry to go on, you only asked me what mine was  :-X
Pages: [1] 2