Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Ladies not on HRT  (Read 38684 times)

honeybun

Re: Ladies not on HRT
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »

Oh heck SL....you are so right.  ;D

A lot of strong minded women here......makes it interesting.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

Hi karin  Ohhhhh!!!!  Has this thread thrown up some debate.
The title of this thread is 'Ladies not on HRT". Well I am one of the ladies posting on this site who is not using systemic HRT - at the moment. I am using local oestrogen for atrophy but I don't think that counts.  I have seriously upped my phytoestrogen intake because my research has shown me evidence that this will benefit my heart and bones but sadly it hasn't  helped my flushes, sleepless nights, headaches, libido etc……...
I haven't tried acupuncture myself but I know a few ladies who have found it good for meno symptoms.  You do need to find a good and reputable acupuncturist.
DG xx
p.s. I may post a thread on Personal Experiences which will be a bit of cathartic therapy for myself. I wanted to respond to this thread with all it's heated debate but felt I shouldn't - too much hurt flying around.

Taz2

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »

Doesn't that say the exact opposite of the other findings though?  :-\  80% give up within a year according to the Dr Briffa site?

Taz (puzzled)  ;D x

honeybun

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »

If 20% give up then 80% continue.

Not done percentages for a while  ;D but that must be right.

Which means a lot more keep going than give up surely.

Honeyb

Rowan

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Haven't read his report yet, most articles that I have read in the past seem to say about 20%.

It could be a lot more or less, going by other forums I have read there is a lot of drop out mainly because of not being able to get on with it or find HRT that suits.

I have to be honest and say if I had not had a hysterectomy I would not have coped with full HRT and would not have been on it. When I was 56 I stopped my patch for nearly two years and felt very well, I was not much on MM then as I was taking my college course  and had other things going on in my life, to be honest I only went back on it after being on MM again and started worrying about my bones and what would happen if I was not on estrogen.

Now I feel better off my patch at the moment, and am at peace with that decision.

Rowan

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »

Forgot to say that I do have creams with containing hormones ( not prescription)  that I occasionally dab on, mainly I add them to a moisture cream.

So that means my body maybe be satisfied with the minute amount I let it have :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 08:10:20 AM by silverlady »

honeybun

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2014, 07:55:18 PM »

It's finding what suits SL. I could be very wrong, but is it not easier to find something that works if you don't have to take progesterone. That's the thing that causes the problems.

I do intend, next year, to try and come off HRT. Tried before but not with any great enthusiasm. Next year could be different.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »

You are right HB, I have always thought that coping with large amounts of progesterone after menopause taxes the body too much, in a natural cycle before menopause the body only produces about 20 to 30 mgs in the second part of the cycle and even that combined with estrogen produced can make some women feel pretty awful

In pregnancy a lot more progesterone is made but it is combined with estriol not estrodiol.

That's the reason some women find the progesterone part of HRT so hard to put up with.

Even too much estrogen alone can cause problems, I just could not tolerate too much estrogen either.

Taz2

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »

If 20% give up then 80% continue.

Not done percentages for a while  ;D but that must be right.

Which means a lot more keep going than give up surely.

Honeyb

The info from Dr Briffa says that 80% give up and only 20% continue - that's what I meant.

Taz x  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »

It would be good to see the confidence intervals associated with the statistics.
i.e.  plus or minus whatever %

rosebud57

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »

All these statistics are giving me a hot flush.

Taz2

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »

:hotflash: :hotflash: :hotflash:

orrla

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:26 PM »

Sad truth is, not many scientists care about us, Ladies. For too many we are past it!

When I was at Uni not so long ago, and I had an access to current research, it said so many contradicting things - some not at all from my own experience   :(

Something is going on!

Could it be more about Feminism - e.g. 'older women are not worth bothering with' - then about real women's health? ... I often wonder!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:54:18 PM by orrla »

rosebud57

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »

Just a point about herbal/alternative remedies.  I know some ladies are worried that if something is not prescribed by a doctor it might be dangerous/unhelpful.  This seems to be part of the culture in Britain.  But did you know that is some countries, Germany for instance, it is normal practice for a GP to prescribe these remedies alongside pharmaceutical drugs.  I can testify this from personal experience as I lived in Germany for 2 years.

It may be the culture in Britain for GPs to poo poo alternative remedies, but in other countries they are regarded as useful.  So who is right? 

Rowan

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »

Since I have been on MM I have wondered why it causes such responses, what does it matter what you use for menopause personally as long as it helps you get by, in my innocence back then I was enthusiastic about complementary solutions ( along with preventative health and well being) as it was my passion, use to post about it but did get flack! as I was on a estrogen patch I supported HRT but was not unaware about the downsides.

Now when I post I find myself furiously looking for scientific evidence e.g. papers ext.  to back up whatever point I am trying to get across ( aware of the many many contradictions even in the scientific community) just so I don't get put down even if is subtly. I have decided I am not going to do that anymore.

It spoils spontaneity though and enthusiasm at least for me now, I wish it wasn't like that.

Once again I agree with what rosebud has said, having lived in other countries herbal remedies are well researched especially in Germany, agnus castus is a good example. In France, Italy and most European countries they do not question using these remedies.

In Britain and America they are fighting to keep the right to able to use the non pharmaceutical  methods, there are government petition  you can sign if you are interested. Ironically in Britain it is a European ruling that many remedies cannot be sold now as well as some vitamins and minerals, also ironic that prescribed drugs are killing many many patients yearly something not often talked about or discussed.

Here in the northwest in parts there is a strong local tradition for herbalism and other remedies, you will find shops in the markets and independent health shops are always very busy.

I have written this post from my heart and not to cause division or arguments. HRT works very well for women who have found the right regime, others have found other ways work for them, what matters that we have the choice and can change our minds later if we want to. We should be thankful for that a lot of women in the rest of the world don't have the choice we are so lucky to have.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:10:05 AM by silverlady »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10