Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Thrush symptoms??  (Read 5774 times)

rita

Thrush symptoms??
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:42 AM »

Please Help advice needed ladies?  :-\

I am just beginning my second week on the two week load with Gynest cream and have for last 3 days terrible thrush symptoms.
Cant get a docs appointment until end of week ..so do you think I should continue with the cream and use a thrush
treatment as well ? or discontinue with the Gynest which I don't really want to do as up to now no probs.

Any one else had this experience?
Thank-you ladies for any advice. xx :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thrush symptoms??
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »

How high up is the itching?  Give the Surgery a ring and ask?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »

Do you have the tell tale cottage cheese discharge? Is it itchy, sore and burning?
Once you've improved things with the local oestrogen treatment, thrush is less likely to take hold.  I always use a bit of Multi Gyn Actigel to prevent  thrush and BV even with local oestrogen.  It's a bit difficult to use other things with the oestrogen creams.  Maybe Vagifem would be better for you.
As CKLD says, I'd call and ask the surgery - maybe you can see a practise nurse for advice?
Dg x

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »

I usually get thrush symptoms when I need to reload, and it takes a while to sort itself out.  I really have no idea if it is thrush or vaginitis caused by low oestrogen.  It is very confusing. But it does go away with the vagifem.

Last time, I tried a bit of thrush cream for a couple of days.  It seemed to help, but the second day, I couldn't wash it off quick enough.

You could try a tablet, if creams/pessaries are impractical with the gynest.

lesleylady

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »

Hi, Don't know if this is any help, but 30 years ago I suffered with recurrent thrush - my GP worked her way through the BNF trying treatments and in desperation after 12 months referred me to Prof Turnbull at the John Radcliffe Hospital. I struck lucky - apparently he'd just done a study and written a paper about this and after doing a urine test put me on an enormous dose of Vitamin C (Redoxon) for two weeks as well as prescibing the usual treatment.  Amazingly this time when it cleared up it stayed gone and have not suffered again since.

Liz

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »

Hi - do you remember what the dose of VItamin C was?  I do suffer from recurrent thrush, so this is interesting.

rita

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »

Thanks ladies,
I will ring my surgery as suggested.
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »

The vaginal gels and pessaries you can buy e.g. Hylaofemme. Multi Gyn Actigel etc. do help to keep the acidity in the vagina as it should be and this prevents thrush and other infections taking hold.  Oestrogen treatment encourages our bodies to produce the natural lubrication that should be slightly acidic and helps prevent thrush and BV but it is sometimes not enough especially at these low doses.  I think it's worth using some of these preparations in addition to oestrogen treatment.  DG x

rita

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »

can you get Actigel on prescription does anyone know? :-\
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

I don't think you can get any of these gels or pessaries on the NHS - the prescription would probably cost the same as buying them.  I buy my stuff online.  DG x

lesleylady

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »

Message for Liz
It was a lot of years ago, but if memory serves what I was prescribed was Redoxon Effervescent tablets 1000mg and I took one disolved in water 3 times a day for about 2 weeks (considerably more than the recommended dose).  Don't recall any side effects at all as I believe your body will only absorb as much as you need. I think I recall Prof Turnbull saying that I was too alkaline and this would balance out the alkaline/acid level.  Sorry I didn't pay more attention to the theory behind it but was just so grateful and relieved that after over 12 months of nearly continuous thrush he was positive he had the answer.  It may be worth speaking to your GP and getting a test done to check your level. Also, I've just googled 'alkaline level and thrush' and got a few interesting articles come up.  I do hope that this is of some help to you as I can remember how miserable I felt with it. x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »

Hi lesleylady and others on this thread
What lesleylady was advised by this professor sort of makes sense  These days it is often recommended to use cranberry juice for the same reason - to raise the acidity.
30 years ago I doubt there were these gels and pessary products that we can use in around our vaginal area which will help to keep this acidic balance - they are also very soothing if you suffer dryness and itching.

Thrush will thrive in a more alkaline environment and if the natural acidic balance in the vagina is not there then thrush and other infections are more likely to occur.
Things that unbalance the natural acidic environment of the vaginal area are: Antibiotics, over cleaning your 'lady bits' with soap, getting hot and sweaty and not airing your lady bits, tight trousers, sex, peri and post meno as the area dries out etc.
There is a mantra that many of us use - "Caring for your Lady parts" - which includes:
Taking showers not baths.
Only washing that area with water, special feminine washes or aqueous cream.
Always clean well after doing a poo.
Cotton underwear.
Looser trousers or wear skirts.
etc.

I think some big doses of Vitamin C would actually boost the immune system and possibly help to create a more acidic environment in the gut which in turn could reduce the chance of thrush and Bacterial Vaginitis taking hold. High doses of Vit C for a short time is not a bad idea but I find the acidity can upset my stomach and if my urethra is buying this will aggravate it.

Many find taking cranberry supplements will prevent further outbreaks of UTIs but during an infection one often uses bicarbonate of soda to neutralise the urine to relieve the pain.

For me it's about managing me feminine environment - prevention is the main thing.
I had a minor bout of thrush about 4 weeks ago and I just treated it by using masses of Multi gyn Actigel for 2-3 nights (i also ate lots of live yogurt). I usually use a small amount each night after my shower which I apply to my finger and push up inside and around the outside - very soothing.  There are great pessaries as well - it's trial and error to see what works for you.
Hope that helps.   Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »

LIVE yoghurt is usually what I grab first: eaten and applied.  The treatment that I bought from the chemist for Thrush made me itch even more  ::) .  I remember how intense the itching was.

Liz

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »

Thanks to both of you, Lesley and DG - that's very helpful.  I'll have a bit more of a read and look into the Multi Gyn as well.