Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: hrt, anti depressants or both?  (Read 14477 times)

jess

hrt, anti depressants or both?
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:28:15 PM »

Hi
I am new and this is my first post. I am on hrt, for hot flushes and aching joints. I seem to be suffering from anxiety but the hrt doesn't seem to have helped that. Is that normal? Should it have done? Therefore, I have gone on citalapram also. It's early days yet. Is it ok/normal to be on both?
thanks

Taz2

Re: hrt, anti depressants or both?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »

Hi Jess - welcome to the forum - you will find lots of help and support on here.

It is ok to be on both but I wonder what type of HRT you are on and whether your anxiety is worse at certain times of your cycle. Some progesterones can give rise to anxiety and pmt type symptoms.

How long have you been on HRT?

Taz x  :)

suey43

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:23 AM »

Hi Jess,

So glad you posted that question as I have exactly the same issue.
Am taking HRT patches (Evorel 100) - 2 weeks today principally for anxiety.

So far have had a few days when I've felt better but dipped quite badly over the weekend. The next step is antidepressants says my GP. Just wonder how long I should give the HRT to work before taking this step. I did take HRT tablets (Ellesete solo 2mg) for a month prior to this but GP said she feared it wasn't being absorbed as I've had major bowel surgery in the past.

Any advice appreciated. Good luck with the ADs Jess - let us know how you get on.

suey43

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »

BTW my HRT has no progesterone, I have the Mirena for that bit which I've been happy with for 16 years.

thorntrees

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »

Hi Jess and welcome to the forum. I have posted before about ADs. Have never taken HRT for various reasons but my GP did prescribe citalopram at a low dose of 10mgs to help with anxiety and flushes. They take a while to work and there can be a few side effects initially for some people. I have found they do help, they aren't a 'magic pill' of course but they lessen the anxiety and help me cope with other symptoms better. Everyone is so different at this time of our lives and it can be very much trial and error to get the right balance. Hope you feel better soon.

Thorntrees.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »

Hi suey - it's unusual to have HRT prescribed principally for anxiety but you do need to give it three months before you know whether it's working for you. I must admit that HRT did nothing for my anxiety but was brilliant for getting rid of the hot sweats, insomnia, dry skin and hair etc.

Taz x

jess

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »

Thanks for your replies :) I am on kliovance and have no idea if its progesterone or what is in it, I suppose I should!  :P I have been on it nearly a year. I suppose I thought hrt would solve all menopause related problems but this appears not to be the case! Yes with regard to the citalopram, I have been on it a week now and thank God the awful side effects have at last stopped! I thought I was going mad! Now just to see if they make a difference.....yes I will wait a while before I make my mind up. Someone said you have to try many different hrts before you find one that suits you. I suppose because the kliovance stopped the flushes and aching I assumed it was the one for me. I am 56 and went on it post menopause and after my periods had stopped.  X

suey43

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »

Thanks Taz,

I probably didn't explain properly - I had severe palpitations in the middle of the night one night (kind of flush or adrenaline rush?) which led to anxiety about falling asleep. Was tested for hormone levels which showed menopause. GP convinced its hormone related as have never had anxiety and have had an extremely stressful few years.

Anyone found a remedy that works for this. Understand anything takes time but do find it v hard to cope at times.

suey43

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »

Just saw your post Jess, what were the AD side effects? Please let me know if they work for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »

Hi Jess

Taz is right that some HRT has progestogens which cause pmt like side effects including anxiety so better to find out if this is still the cause of your anxiety than go on to anti-depressants as it could be one medication making you anxious and then another trying to deal with that anxiety, when a change in HRT type might help!

Personally when starting HRT I think it is better to start on a cyclical HRT (ie one that causes a bleed) even if post-menopausal, because then it is easier to see if the progestogen is causing the problem.

In your case you are taking norethisterone - a synthetic progestgoen that does disagree with some women - along with the oestrogen.

Rather than take the citalopram - I would try a different HRT type. If you don't want to go onto a cycle at this point I would suggest Femoston, because the progestogen in this type ( called dydrogesterone) is very close to our own progesterone and causes fewer side effects. I would urge you to try this one and stop the ADs rather than become dependent on them without knowing whether it's the HRT type causing or adding to your anxiety. It is listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

In the meantime can you try mindful techinques to cope with your anxiety while you try out a different type? There is a site called nomorepanic that someone on here found a few months ago which I understand is helpful http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/

Also this exercise which a former member found helpful (scroll back to the beginning), as did other members (3 2 1 anxiety exercise):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

jess

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »

The AD side effects were palipitations, severe anxiety, dry mouth, headache, no appetite and no sleep! Awful! Thank God that's over, I nearly came off them! It lasted about a week.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »

Well done on tolerating the side effects!  :o

jess

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »

Thank you hurdity, I will see if there is any difference on the citalapram and if not I will attempt to change the hrt.