Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: TV news is so depressing  (Read 9439 times)

Rowan

Re: TV news is so depressing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

I think I have been lucky as have never encountered unfriendliness though our next door neighbour is a builder , the new man in the life of the lady who lives there, there seems to be many more vans now in the close which is far too small for what is a very sedate Close and we are getting hemmed in, trouble is he is a pleasant chap and no one one seems to want to complain. 

Trey I can understand the appeal of your new home, by coincidence OH and I were talking about where would be the safest place to live as the world has seem to become a more frightening place we did think of Canada. They do tend to keep out of the world stage.

Are there "Preppers" where you are going to live? Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Trey

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »

SL, pray tell what is a 'prepper'.  Is it preparing for the worst. That would be a no if so.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »

We find that once above the Watford Gap people are more friendly the higher up we go  ;) ……. how will I recognise you in Glasgow then ………….  :whist:

oldsheep

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »

I've no idea what a prepper is either!

Taz - yes, although I find that when I join a class, people smile and talk. But to strangers, no. Plus I've known one really nice woman from my class for 2 years now and I'm still a bit nervous to ask her for a coffee.
I'm from South Africa where everyone is instantly friendly (or hostile: depends!). I think it's the sheer no of people here; people guard their own space.
It was one of the hardest things for me, coming here. First time I walked on the narrow paths in the local park, everyone avoided eye contact which was absurd and a bit depressing. Even in France, you'd say 'bonjour madame/monsieur' even if it's not that friendly.
And don't try to talk to anyone on public transport! I spent 2 years outside of London, in the south east, and didn't find it much easier to be honest. Mind you, I was in a town that has a reputation for being a bit closed up (Lewes), very pretty though.

Glasgow sounds really friendly! Pity about the weather  :D

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

Lewes has improved, we've never had problems, people are open and friendly.  I think that holiday destinations that rely on tourists for such a short while have to be friendly  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »

People who prepare for the breakdown of society and make themselves self sufficient by storing food, making there own electricity. Protect themselves and store medical supplies. Water and so on. There are many in America doing this and it is catching on in UK. There have been some programs on TV about it.

If you Google there is lots about it.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »

After 9/11 I started storing stuff but the anxiety relating to the state of the World wore off.  We can't generate our electricity, water is via the local provider ………...

Trey

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 12:30:15 AM »

SL, the Mormons always have a stash on hand per the values of their church beliefs.  We lived in Utah and the Costco there carried emergency buckets with a year's supply of dehydrated meals.  My neighbor, non Mormon, showed us his 'stash' an entire cupboard of Tangeray 10 gin.

Where we are going, folks are generally very independent and quite friendly.  We have a higher than usual, I think, retired military, police, intelligence, presence.  So it is considered safer than big cities for sure. 

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »

Trey these guys do it in a big way ( doing it for years)they have hideaways and bunkers http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/ they do come in for a lot of criticism and ridicule but considering the way things seem to be going at the moment it suddenly does not seem such a bad idea.

I think where you are going sounds just right and I can picture it must admit I do have a picture of "The Waltons" in my mind, send some pics when you are settled. 

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »

What happened to the meals if they weren't eaten  :-\

Trey

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »

We kept our bucket for two years and then tossed it.  I guess you could say we kicked the bucket.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »

What a waste: half the World starves, the rest of us throw food away …… perhaps they should have been eaten or given to the dogs ……..

I've switched off our local news this evening, watching le Veulta instead  :-*

Trey

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »

It was passed the expiration date.  I waste very little.
But I agree, the world is out of balance is so many ways.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »

Dog food perhaps  :-\  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

Seems someone organised wants to make London friendlier too. Just read about this http://talktomeday.org/
Great idea but a bit sad. If you don't want anyone to talk to you, take off the badge.
Pages: 1 [2] 3