Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: made me feel stupid  (Read 11660 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: made me feel stupid
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

UTI symptoms are typical of vaginal atrophy. Why didn't your GP tell you to continue with the vaginal cream, it sometimes takes 2-3 weeks before you get relief from symptoms.  Over-use of ABs doesn't do the system any good.  Have you tried LIVE yoghurt? eaten and applied?

porcia

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »

The locum gp hun was more or less as bad as the other locum, I'm going to.try and get to see my proper gp tomorrow I'm beginning to think.that all the times iv been having all these symptoms of uti,s it's possibly has been va, is there anything I can take to.try and balance out and get some good bacteria into me? X

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »

there was a time that I went to the out of hours GP with yet another UTI. She was amazing. did the dipstick test and there was no infection. She gently explained to me that low oestrogen also makes the urethra dry as well as the vagine and what I thought was repeated UTIs was in fact irritation to the urethra making it feel like I wanted to 'go' all the time.
I was already using vagifem so she gave me the gynest cream for the outside too and I never looked back and never had any more UTI symptoms. Bless that out of hours GP  :)

porcia

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »

Ahhhh that gp sounds lovely. My dip test showed something that indicated an infection, thus all started the week before when my husband and I sex and used condoms as when we were not using them I had uti symptoms all the time so I thought I would try the condoms it actually made It worse, two days later I was in agony x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »

Friction doesn't help!  Dip test can show 'signs of infection' that aren't actually, the ONLY way to be sure is for the sample to go to the Lab to be 'grown' and a GP should know that  :bang:

porcia

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:12 AM »

I know hun I'm going to find out later if the test was sent of to be cultured x

dahliagirl

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »

I get these symptoms too, when my vagifem gets muddled.
I started on full hrt, without the vagifem and got thrush  >:(  It was proper thrush with white bits - only had that once before.  Then this month, it came back, so I put some cream on until I could get a tablet from the chemist.  It just got worse, the itching was maddening and I was very red.  So I washed all the cream off in the shower with husband's dermol. Instant relief.  I also realised I was late with my hrt and took a tablet late and the next in the morning as usual.  'Thrush' vanished, but I don't know if it was the cream or the hrt that was the problem.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »

Hi porcia
You poor thing. These persistent UTI symptoms - are they doing tests to make sure you actually have an infection?  If you haven't, then the antibiotics won't do anything and will just result in thrush infections.  The oestrogen creams do sometimes make you burn down below - I found they made the UTI type symptoms much worse to start with - It's the fillers in the creams and pessaries that can irritate.  You may find Vagifem better to use.  You do need to use these local oestrogen treatments everyday for the first 2 weeks and then at least twice a week after that before things will improve. I would also suggest some preventative action - use something like Multi Gyn Actigel which will keep the vaginal area acidic and prevents thrush and UTI infections taking hold - can be soothing as well - there are several other products available - google these things and get them online.
I am now using the Estring and after about 4-5 months I started to get some relief from those nasty burning UTI type symptoms.  I've also found the whole area is healthier and I can now have 'gentle' sex!!!!  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »

I can feel background symptoms if I don't stick to the 2/3 times a week regime.

How is it today?

porcia

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 05:50:20 AM »

Thank you ladies for the.past day it's been fine as iv started to bleed but now iv stopped bleeding the symptoms are there again.
This happened last month I bled for 2 days lightly stopped for 4days then had a heavy bleed for 6 days.
This may sound silly but the relief I get when I have my period is overwhelming the 2 week or bit longer building up.to.it is awful..
Uti symptoms coupled with sinus problems, all the general other problems then.a few days before it starts I get a cold.
When I.enquire about the results of the urine cultures it's almost always no further action
.the dip test at the gp,s will show blood protein or white cells. Or it will.show blood but in a whole year of say 12 a year iv actually one positive result for a uti x

scriv

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:56 AM »

porcia, I so sympathise with you.

I started with all sorts of menstrual problems  and symptoms in my mid thirties and  really thought I was pre-menopausal. My doctor did not believe me, but admitted she was wrong when I had my very last period at just 39.

And not long after this I was diagnosed as severely hypothyroid.

The two conditions are linked and often co-exist - but I am not sure which comes first. What I do know is that the symptoms are very similar which makes diagnosis of both difficult.

Which is why you do need to see an experienced and empathetic GP who is prepared to investigate what is happening with you and to help you through it.

porcia

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »

Iv had a whole Range of tests done I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in 2009 and take thyroxine for this Umm I'm.now nearly 43 and started my.periods when I was 11.
I'm.not able to ask my mother about her menopause as I no longer speak to her all I can remember is that she told me that she was around 14 when her periods started I always remember her in a foul mood when she was in her 40s.
Iv been to a urologist and had a procedure done where they looked at my.bladder and all was fine iv also had scans on my kidneys and stomach again all was fine, my thyroid tests are coming back normal all the time.
These problems started for me when I was 38/39 they started with the sinus problems mostly and very bad pms. The utI problems then followed and I also had treatment this year for an.erosion on my cervix and all my.smears are normal and iv also.had and tests done to rule that out, it's been.never ending tbh but I'm.finding now the uti symptoms and the anxiety coupled with lack of sleep.ia really getting me down.x

scriv

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »

Yes, if you are hypothyroid, you often have an early menopause - and if you have an early menopause, you are often hypothyroid. :(

It certainly sounds as if you are experiencing the menopause and if you are suffering from low oestrogen, the dryness will make you more prone to UTIs. Were you getting on ok with the vaginal pessaries?

I started on systemic HRT properly a year after my last period. I tried it before then, but it was hard to get the level right as my own hormone levels were still fluctuating wildly.

Do you have an appointment soon with your own GP?

porcia

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »

I can't go today as it's only locums there my.gp is in.tomorrow so will try and see her then.
She is very.good and is more than happy to try me on things to see how I.get along.
I was given hrt pessaries and used them.for two nights but it felt ad though I had a uti again so stopped them I then came down.with.thrush and used a canestan pessary and Omg it got worse, x

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »

Pessaries take 10-14 days to build up a level of oestrogen which then helps the symptoms. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4