Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Thoughts on ADs  (Read 3178 times)

Ju Ju

Thoughts on ADs
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »

As I seem to be having more and more low energy days since starting progesterone, I have emailed the gynaecologist I saw as to whether I can adjust or change the HRT I am taking. (I am 60) A year ago, I had extreme exhaustion, but improved after copious amounts of ABs as I became very ill. I am not feeling that bad. I also saw my GP, who suggested I considered trying ADs, which are often given to patients with IBS and CFS. I have had extensive blood tests done earlier this year. She said I have CFS 'tendencies'. I wonder if ADs would help me. What are other people's thoughts and experiences? They have been offered before and I have refused. By the way, I am not depressed or anxious, though I do have low moods when I am feeling rough and I definitely feel sorry for myself when I can't do something I really want to do. Mind you I believe it would be strange if I didn't! Thanks for any comments.

honeybun

Re: Thoughts on ADs
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »

You won't really know until you you try. It could make all the difference for you but until you give it a go it will always be in the back of your mind.
You sound as if you have come a long way since last year and maybe you just need more time. That's the thing though....You just don't know.

I tried ADs for anxiety as I was at such a low point but unfortunately I reacted badly. I still wish I was brave enough to try again as I have been struggling for a couple years now and it's lonely place to be.

I wish you luck whatever you decide to try. I have always admired your very positive attitude which is very clear in your posts.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »

My GP gave me low dose ADs a number of years ago to help with sleep. I was constantly exhausted. They did work, although I found the side effects a bit annoying. Wakening at night with a really dry mouth wasn't pleasant, which kind of defeated the purpose of them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »

ADs have various side-effects which don't affect everyone.  I've never had dry mouth ....... but the nausea crippled me.  If you think you will benefit, what's to lose?

It took me a long while to accept that I need a low-maintenance dose for Life  :-\
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:06:25 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »

Thank you. Thank you HB for your kind comment. I'm not always upbeat, but I'm fortunate to be married to a lovely man, who happens to be a life coach. He keeps telling that it is as it is, but my job is to live my life as best as I can. Just be kind and not to worry about making a huge impact on the world, just little ripples.

I took ADs in the 60s, as I had clinical depression, which was viewed as my problem, rather than a result of family dynamics. I have avoided them since, quite rightly I think as low mood is not depression. It passes. My mum was given antidepressants for pain following her stroke. Helped the pain and also made her a nicer person to be around. But I'm not in pain, so not sure how they will help.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »

I'm inclined to agree. If your not depressed, which clearly you are able to recognise, and you are not in pain then why add more meds into the mix.

I find fresh air helps. Very simple, but even if it's only ten mins in the garden  lifts my mood and makes me feel better. I am lucky to live by the sea and even just watching it soothes me and a short walk invigorates.
You hubby sounds as if he is a huge support.
What does he think about you trying AD's

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »

Low mood is certainly not 'depression'.  When I was very ill with depression I couldn't get out of bed and when I had to let the dog into the garden I crawled round the house, laid down by the door until she came back in.  Fortunately the ADs have helped a lot and once I had got the anxiety under 'control' I began to have a Life with DH again.

I get low mood when I want to do more than I am able to, due to the anxiety - i.e. visit the Italian Lakes ...........

Dyan

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:15 AM »

I agree with CLKD, low mood is not depression.
Low mood will lift in time but depression is dibilitating and cruel and ADs have helped me so much.
But can't help on the IBS/CFS.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »

I think if someone requires ADs and 'might' require to go back on them, why wait?  I lost months of my Life in a swinging 22 months cycle .....  :'( but now I am on a regular dose whcih I can up as necessary, I have a Life again  ;)

IBS crept up on me because I was anorexic from age 3.  So by my mid-30s my gut spasm had almost stopped working hence build up inside my intestinal tract (hope none of yous is munching a sandwich  :o ) until it couldn't empty ....... my GP gave me Colpermin peppermint capsules and Motillium, both to be taken within the hour before eating my main meals.  They were a Life Saver! Then I discovered Actimel  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »

The main reason I went back to the doctor was that I have started to have to pace my self again, so that I don't overdo it as I pay a price for several days, missing out on things I have been looking forward to doing and not doing the housework. ( Don't miss that! ) I would love the choice to work part time again and do more voluntary work.  I get exhausted, but as I said I am not depressed and not in pain. After reading up on the subject, I am still at a loss how ADs can help. She also suggested CBT and talking therapies. I have already worked with a therapist and life coaches, and I feel I have a good understanding and acceptance of childhood issues and self awareness. I would take ADs if I was convinced they would help. I have to go back to see her in a couple of weeks.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

<wave>  Is there any rush to start ADs if you don't feel this is required right now?

Is the CFS the current issue ? I have to pace myself some days, especially during hot weather or if we are visiting family  ::) ………. stress makes my brain tired which impacts on the rest of me  :-\..  It is recognising how much to 'take on' that is important and difficult to pace!

thorntrees

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »

It really is a very personal decision to take ADs, I resisted for ages,thought I should be able to cope etc. I gave in and went on citalopra!m. They did help after side effects wore off,anxiety eased and hot flushes lessened. Came off after about 9 months but symptoms came back so went back on about 8weeks ago. Just beginning to feel the benefits again and GP says may need them long term. They do still give me slight headaches but hoping that might wear off in time. We are just all so different in our reactions to drugs. Good luck with what you decide.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »

I have a background headache but don't know if it's the BB or the AD  ::) - when necessary I take Nurofen but don't need to every day.