Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Any advice welcome  (Read 3684 times)

KT57

• First Flush
Any advice welcome
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »

Hello ladies

Just wanted to share some things Ive been going through and looking for some advice and encouragement.
Basically I had a total hysterectomy due to ovarian cancer 4 years ago which put me into menopause. Luckily the cancer was found early and I have regular check ups and clear since. Once the shock of the diagnosis wore off I felt fantastic that it had been caught early and I was fine. Over the past 2 years however menopause symptoms have been terrible - mainly anxiety and depression. I have never been a depressive person up until now and I really feel so unlike myself.  Ive been on and off antidepressants - take them, feel better and then come off again only to relapse after a few months. I dont like the side effects so am always eager to get off them. At the moment I have been off them for 6 months and feel horrible - very low and despondent (despite this fab weather!). I have a great family and very supportive husband which makes me feel very guilty as I have no reason to feel this bad. Am thinking of going back to my GP next week to discuss maybe trying a different antidepressant. Am very fed up with the whole rollercoaster of up and down emotions. Would love to hear if anybody else has been through similar.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »

FIRSTLY : have one of these  :big hug:

Depression causes guilt.   I have a 22 month cyclic depressive illness so have to take a low-maintenance AD for Life.  Took some acceptance  ::)

You feel bad because you have had shocks in recent years!  Shock of diagnosis, ovarian cancer is known as the 'silent killer' so you did well to have symptoms recognised early enough.  Don't be hard on yourself, you then underwent hysterectomy which is another shock to deal with.  Also dealing with the feelings of others: I often found I had to be 'brave' for them when I really wanted to wallow  ::) (breast treatment 1995).  I was OK whilst going through treatment, then my support group disappeared and depression set in.

You feel bad because you have been pitched into menopause  ::) with all it's associated problems but we do manage to have a giggle here  ;) ……… we even have a 'funny' room …..

Have a browse of the menus, left of screen.  Take a list of how you feel to your next appt..  Take your husband with you!

I found that once I had taken an AD it didn't work if I went back onto it.  The brain kind of got used to it and needed an extra boost from another type. 

Have you been in contact with the UK-based charity 'ovacome?  …….. that's how I landed here  ::)

Keeping a food and mood diary can help too!  Let us know how you get on!

KT57

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks so much for your reply and it's good to know that you can understand what I'm going through. Sometimes I feel that everybody else is coping so much better than me!

I am definitely going to take my husband to my next appointment as when I go on my own I tend to put on a brave face and gloss over my problems! As you say us ladies tend to worry about everybody else and not pay enough attention to what we need ourselves.

I have had contact with the charity Ovacome - they are brilliant. I tend to feel a bit of a fraud there however as there are so many ladies whose situation is so much worse than mine.

A food and mood diary is a great idea so will try it and have a good look round this forum - so glad I've found it!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »

Glad you have found Ovacome.  Be kind to YOU! OK so others are 'worse off', but this is your time.  Time for you to get your health in order so that you and your husband can get on with Life  ;).  I feel sorry for those in War zones but I can't alter their situations, I can however keep dialogue open with DH and my GP which enables me.

Ovarian cancer takes many forms and affects ladies as you know, in many ways which is where Ovacome helps.  In the same way that NAPS helped when I had awful PMT problems.  I had to learn to look after my health first.

ADs can ease some menopause symptoms too.  If you can tolerate the 'side effects' I suggest taking one for 6-9 months whilst you tackle other issues  :-\ ………. we are coming up to that other 'stressful time of year'  >:(  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »

You don't say how old you are and if you can take HRT.
A lot of women are offered AD'S when hormone replacement is more appropriate.

If you can give us a few more details then perhaps we can help a bit more.

AD's have their place but sometimes are not the only option.

Honeyb
x

KT57

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies.

I am 55 years old and have never found out if I can take HRT but wouldn't be very keen to try it after having had ovarian cancer. I wonder if anyone has any ideas about natural treatments for depression. I already do mindful meditation which has been helping up until a month ago when I suddenly had a major dip in mood. I was thinking of trying acupuncture before returning to my GP or maybe as well as.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »

St Johns Wort can be very good. It's very gentle with no side effects although you have to check for interactions with other meds.
Vit B12 is also helpful.

It might be worth discussing a low dose HRT with your GP though.

Honeyb
x

KT57

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »

Many thanks Honeyb I will definitely have a chat with my GP about a low dose of HRT and let you know how I get on.

I really appreciate your input!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »

What take do Ovacome have on HRT?

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

Hi KT57

I am still getting accustomed to the new 'me' 5 years after a cancer diagnosis and full house of treatments.  I think the longer-term emotional after-effects of cancer are under-estimated. 

Chemo pitched me 'overnight' into the menopause and having my ovaries removed in 2011 just finished the job!  I've had to get on with life without HRT as my cancer was oestrogen-positive.   

Aside from medication I was wondering if you've accessed counselling?  Apologies if this is something you've already thought of or perhaps already tried but I just wondered if a few sessions might be beneficial for you.

Dare I mention support groups?  I too am blessed with a wonderful husband and lovely friends and absolutely loathed the idea of support groups when I was first diagnosed and didn't feel the need to engage with such things.  However, over a year after diagnosis, I was dragged along to light-hearted event arranged by a local support group which I enjoyed.  Over the following few months I went along to a few other interesting talks organised by the group and made a couple of very good friends as a result.  They are also several years down the line and experience similar thoughts and side-effects.  This has really helped me.

I was pointed towards this interesting article recently - it talks about longer-term emotional effects of cancer.  I wondered if it might be of interest to you.
http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/northsouth/extra4.nsf/WebResClient/1761049276601BD68025735B00604834/$FILE/article3.pdf
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:47:21 PM by tiger74 »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:18 PM »

Counselling enabled me to vent.  To someone being paid to listen.  Someone who knew nothing about my family background so couldn't pre-judge or think 'that couldn't have happened'.  Intermittently over 3 years I had really good talking sessions ……….

As well as on-line Forums being in touch with appropriate support means we can empthasise which those around us probably aren't able to.

KT57

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »

Many thanks ladies for your helpful responses.

Tiger74 - I am going to check out the link to the cancer counselling website and thank you for your very helpful advice. I have had counselling in the past but I know my consultant can put me in touch with a counsellor if I want one at any time.

This is a great website and I am so glad that I've found it.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 09:27:04 PM »

Yep.  That's why we are here  ;)