Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie and need advice  (Read 5997 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Newbie and need advice
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »

I am 42 years old and for the last 3 years my usually regular periods have been absent for 4 months usually from December through to April. I saw my gp the first time it happened and was told that I was too young for the menopause and because my youngest child was only 9 months old, my cycle was still getting back to normal. Last October, my periods stopped again, i was anxious all the time, not sleeping and my digestion was bad. I went back to the gp and begged for some tests. A week later i was called back and it was confirmed i had premature ovarian failure. This was just before Christmas. Once l'd got over the initial shock, i was actually happy that i'd got a reason for my ailments. Over the Christmas break, i felt well and accepted the menopause. I‘ve had 2 periods 28 days apart then the 3'rd came 7 weeks later. I've been taking a menopause supplement but to be honest, i'm really struggling. I work 28 hours a week, have a 4 and 5 year old to look after along with a house and husband. I‘m snapping at the kids all the time and tired. I'm worse at work because just can't t seem to keep up. My brain feels foggy, i can't concentrate and don't feel at all sharp. My eldest has just started school and i,ve just started to meet some of the parents whom i'm sure think i'm some kind of weirdo as i'm flustered all the time and just talk nonsense. I've booked at appointment with my gp for Monday as i think i may need hrt. Can anyone tell me if this will alleviate my symptoms. During my pregnancies i had Sticky Blood Syndrome so was thinking the patches may be better for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am feeling a bit lost!!!

Hurdity

Re: Newbie and need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 07:14:11 PM »

Hi Mis71Mum

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and that you have been diagnosed with premature ovarian failure. There are several members on here who have this also or in the past so I am sure will be along to share their experiences.

The most important thing though is you definitely must take HRT because of the adverse effects of long term oestrogen deficiency on your health. There is some information on this site about POF which starts here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pm-definition.php

Then follow the green tabs (black writing) below this tab for further information.

As well as being important for your health, HRT will also help you cope with the demands of a young family which is especially important!  I am very surprised the doctor did not recommend HRT straight away following your diagnosis.

Have a look at the different types in the menu on the left (HRT preparations) here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

What type you go for is to some extent personal preference but I would go for something bioidentical ie which contains estradiol - the same main oestrogen our own bodies make - so avoid the Prempak.

You can take tablets, patches or gel. If you prefer tablets, then I would suggest starting with Femoston because the progestogen in that one is best tolerated (of the synthetic types). Also maybe start with a lower dose for a few weeks (1/10) and then increase to 2/10 fairly soon, to minimise side effects. Depending on how much you absorb from tablet HRT, if you choose this route - later on you may want a higher dose still so possibly consider gel or patches.

First things first though -  and I hope your GP is cooperative!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »

Thank you for your reply Hurdity. You've given me more advice in your reply than i've had from 3 gp's i've seen over the last 3 months. I decided not to frighten myself by reading too much on the internet when I was first diagnosed and put my faith in my gp. Anyway with your info and the material on the website, i'll feel ready to see my gp on Monday. Thanks again for your time and will keep you posted.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »

Hi All - had my appointment today with a nurse practitioner - was happy with this as she was a lady of a certain age. When I explained my symptoms, she said I was depressed and offered me Fluxoetine which I refused. I said that I thought needed HRT for my bones and heart but then she said I shouldn't take if I have a family history of Heart disease - which I do. Anyway now I have my medication - Fermoston 1/10 but I daren't take it due to the nurse's lack of confidence in the HRT.

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »

Hmmm I have a family history of heart disease and am on hrt. My endocrinologist said that women's heart troubles start when we lose our estrogen! Incidentally all of the heart problems in my family involve the men. Others on here are much more knowledgeable than me but from what I've read, hrt at 42 is necessary for your bone and overall health so try not to worry about what one nurse said. It would be interesting to know what she based that statement on ....

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »

Just one last question honest - if I am still having periods albeit irregular, can I start Femostan straight away or would I have to wait until my next period and take within the first 5 days? Also is there a better time to take the tablets, ie morning or evening?
Thanks

Suzyq

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 06:36:46 PM »

You can ask as many questions as you want! I'm not on femiston but would have thought if you are having irregular periods then trying to wait for the next one wouldn't make much sense. Lots of people use femiston so hopefully they will be along to offer advice. With regards to morning or night, I would go with whatever is going to be easiest for you to take at the same time.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 05:03:57 PM »

Hello again - just thought I would say that I decided to take my first tablet this morning.  I was hesitant but from reading other threads, I am not alone in feeling like that. Feel a bit lightheaded but think that it's because I was up till 4 with my youngest and earache. Then been at work since 9am.  Anyway - I am going to be positive and think good thoughts about my future.  Thanks to all on the site who have made me feel normal and not alone.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »

Hello - i'm on day 10 of hrt and happy to report no adverse effects so far. I know it's early days but it's a good start. I'm really struggling with brain fog and anxiety still - is this something that eventually the hrt will sort or should I think about an EPA fish oil aswell?  Or read that magnesium can be good for anxiety.  Thanks xx

Suzyq

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »

For me hrt has helped massively with the anxiety but it does take a while and you are still on quite a low dose! If after a month or two you still have no relief, perhaps consider a higher dose! I know it's very hard to be patient....  I am also still in peri so my own hormones kick in from time to time, making it more difficult to get consistency. I am currently using progesterone every day as my anxiety was creeping back and I don't seem to do well without any progesterone, or with big jumps in progesterone! This has taken 4 months of tweaking but seems to be working ok for me. The key is to work with your gp and to learn your symptoms - I keep a little log. I take magnesium but to be honest I don't really know if it helps or not! Tried fish oils but didn't notice any difference.  A good b complex however worked pretty well for me in terms of mood but they are a bit pricey. Well done to you for taking the plunge.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »

With going through meno so young, you most certainly need the hrt for your heart health and bone density. I agree with Hurdity, re bio identical, you can always swop to the gel or patches if you find that you do not get on with the tablets. Do not stress, you will be fine and feel so much better on it.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »

Have another question, if that's okay?  You ladies on here are my only support network as none of my friends have been through this yet and it happened to my Mum at 28, 40 years ago!

Today on Day 14 of the white tablet, my period started. Is this normal? Not sure what I was expecting really but thought it would happen after I stopped taking the white ones. 

My main concern is that it says to stop taking if you have painful, irregular bleeding.

Thanks

ellie66

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »

I had slightly irregular bleeding with Femston. Plus if you are peri menopausal your own hormones will kick in and out. I put it down to a Femston quirk and did not worry about it.

ellie66

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »

Your Nurse Practitoner sounds a bit rubbish. You definitely do need HRT for your heart/bones. I take Celebrex a naughty class of NSAID which can cause heart issues and a GP friend said to me it was safer that was taking HRT as it would protect from cardiovascular issues.

You are on a low dose Femston 1/10 give it 3/4 moths and if you still have still symptoms you may like to try Femston 2/10. Also remember it can take 3/4 months to really benefit from HRT. I took Femston for 4 years shout if you get stuck. I needed a change so am now on Oestrogel and Utrageston but Femston is an excellent HRT to start on.     
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:13:28 PM by ellie66 »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »

Thanks for your support, it's much appreciated.

I sat at work today feeling a bit ropey due to it being tom, but actually stared at my screen and did some work.  Not sure how it happened but realised I have been functionally normally at work this week and no brain fog.  It's small steps, but ones in the right direction. 

I'm totally happy with the results so far.  Can't believe that a month ago I couldn't imagine getting through the day because I felt so tired/ill..  Long may it continue xxxx
Pages: [1] 2