Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mum diagnosed with breast cancer  (Read 10488 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mum diagnosed with breast cancer
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »

Tamoxifen?

Why is there a wait for surgery?  Don't let the Hospital fob you off  ;)

How are you both?

tiger74

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »

I'm guessing that as your Mum is in her 70s she will have been put onto an aromatase inhibitor such as letrozole or anastrozole.  These are very effective drugs and my understanding is that they are usually more appropriate for newly-diagnosed post-menopausal patients with oestrogen-positive breast cancer.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.  Rest assured that whatever treatment plan is devised and in whatever order (sometimes chemo is done before surgery) the plan will be individually tailored to your Mum's case and will have been thoroughly discussed by a Multi-Disciplinary Team.

Annika

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »

Well today we finally had some news as far as the surgery is concerned...on Monday 14th Mum goes in to have an isotope put into her breast, right now I have no clue as to what that is or does. Then on Tuesday the next day she will be going in for her OP first thing in the morning. Then for three weeks following a course of radiation every day so at least there is some movement ahead and she is very happy with the doctors and team she has working on her case. Last few weeks waiting seem to have been the tough part of things and she is looking forward to the surgery really and getting back to her routine. Of course the "what ifs" are going through everyone's minds but as we both agreed there's not much you can do but press ahead and hope for the best. Anyway take care ladies and  thank you for all your kind words   xxx

Wombat

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

The isotope is to allow targeted radiotherapy post surgery.

Check out the Macmillan website, if you ever need to talk to anyone the Macmillan service is excellent and they have a telephone help line.....

All the very best for your mum and to you, stay strong  :-*

www.macmillan.org.uk

Wombat x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »

O jad am oh dear, I had an isotope 2 weeks before surgery prior to a bone scan to see if there was any spread.  I had to keep away from babies, toddlers and anyone over the age of 60 for 3 weeks.

At least your Mum has a date for surgery and she seems OK with how the wait is panning out.  Let us know how *you* get on  :tulips:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »

Good luck for your Mum and take care of yourself as well.

Annika

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »

Thanks ladies for all your well wishes...well mum had her surgery yesterday morning and all went well. Instead of a lumpectomy it turned into a full mastectomy taking muscle from behind the breast too however her doctor has said she will now not need the radiation treatment and will just take her estrogen lowering pills for the next five years. Next week she will get her results but from all signs it looks like good and she has already been discharged and at home resting...quite honestly I thought she would be in there a whole lot longer but these days I guess they think you will recover better at home. She did say her doctor was a gem and that sure makes a difference. So all good news so far :)

Wombat

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »

Great news Annika

Big hugs and healing thoughts for your mum....,I am sure she is delighted to be home

Don't forget to take care of you too

Wombat x

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

Greàt news. They do send folk home much earlier these days, but she'll recover quicker at home. Just so long as she takes it easy.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »

Glad it all went well.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

My Mum had full mastectomy at age 66 and no other treatment apart from 1 follow up.  Make sure that your Mum rests even if she begins to feel 'better'.  Shock of diagnosis, followed by surgery and waiting for results can be traumatic!

Annika

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »

Yes I was thinking the same thing CLKD and told her to rest up let everyone else pitch in with chores,etc., She has a drain in her chest and that will come out Tuesday so can't get around to much anyway. Your right though it really is so much to take in going through this.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

Does your Mum have access to a breast care Nurse? is there a group of Friends or PALS at the Hospital who can liaise with the services she may require?  Also Macmillan have a good web-site and there is a 1-off payment if necessary.

tiger74

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »

Hi

It's a steep learning curve, for sure.  I likened the early days of my diagnosis, surgery and treatment to getting on a train, thinking it was going to stop at some nice little village stations only to find I was on an express train hurtling to the other end of the country.   The information does sink in eventually but it takes time.

Hopefully your Mum will feel much better once the drain is removed tomorrow.  I had drains in too and felt much more normal once they were removed. 

I see from your profile that you're in the US, is your Mum being treated there?  I guess some of the practicalities would be different to the UK given that health services are organised differently.

All the best to you and your Mum.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:51:21 AM by tiger74 »

Annika

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »

Hi Tiger yes I am living in the States but my mum is back home in the Midlands where she is being treated. I spoke to her today and she had another trip to the hospital for her results. She was very anxious naturally and went in to see her surgeon who said she should put a smile back on her face because he feels that they were able to get it all and her lymph nodes came back clear of any cancer. No other treatment necessary except for the estrogen lowering pills and mammograms regularly on the other breast. She was told if any problems with swelling then check in with her doctor...so all good news today. ( Yes Tiger I am living in the States but my mum is at home in the Midlands)  :cheer:
Pages: 1 [2] 3