Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Now that is interesting  (Read 5202 times)

babypink2807

Now that is interesting
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »

I have read up on the 35 symptoms of perimenopause, and interesting one of them states gastrointestinal distress, and is wonder if the perimenopause I am going through kicked off my Crohns, because the other symptoms I suffer from are listed

Irritability
Mood swings, sudden tears
Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Loss of libido
Vaginal dryness
Crashing fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Disturbing memory lapses
Itchy, crawly skin
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
Increased tension in muscles
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden bouts of bloat
Weight gain
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, vertigo, light-headedness,
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.

I have over half the symptoms, and sometimes I wonder how on earth I cope with it all when I list it.  But I was very curious if the meno has triggered my Crohns

honeybun

Re: Now that is interesting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »

Don't think so to be honest.

Honeyb
x

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »

it's not impossible because major changes can affect our immune system and Crohns is an auto immune disease. But on the other hand  it is often diagnosed late in life so it may be a coincidence that you had a diagnosis.

babypink2807

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

it's not impossible because major changes can affect our immune system and Crohns is an auto immune disease. But on the other hand  it is often diagnosed late in life so it may be a coincidence that you had a diagnosis.

I was in two minds if it was coincidence

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »

I don't think that there is any evidence to link the two. SOme women do have gastrointestinal problems and IBS is one of the main ones but this can be helped by HRT to some extent.
Crohns is a serious disease but I really don't think there is any direct link to the menopause.
Your other symptoms may well effect your general sense of well being but not be attributed to a serious bowel condition.

We are inclined to blame a lot on meno but perhaps some of the symptoms are just the natural aging process.

Honeyb
x

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »

For a long time on a morning, I have had diarrhoea, every day, or almost every day. I even got a sample tested which came back negative.

When I went onto HRT it lessened greatly in frequency.

I had no idea that perimenopause could cause the bowerl to be upset until I came on here.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »

We have Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis in the family.
baby pink2807 - I wonder if you have been suffering from Crohns for some while but it only really emerged at the meno.  My older sister has had Crohns since her teens and had a flare up of the Crohns in her early 50s.  She found that HRT did seem to help.
My gut is generally much more sensitive to everything these days - I personally think it's a combination of getting older and lack of oestrogen.
It may well be worth trying some HRT!!??  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »

I think Babypink is on HRT Dancinggirl

Taz x

flossie fiddler

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »

One thing I noticed was that amongst all the other symptoms, my asthma so flared up about 6 months ago. My doctor did say that autoimmune diseases can flare up at this time.

About 5 years ago I was on loads of meds for asthma, but gradually changed my lifestyle, diet and work/life balance, and eventually was able to come off everything except occasional Ventolin. My asthma symptoms worsened again around 6 months ago, about the same time as I became aware that other stuff I had was related to menopause.

So I guess it could be possible.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »

Why can't it affect Crohns?  10 mins Before a period I would get 'the runs' even if the bleed wasn't due, that way I knew it was about to start ………...

babypink2807

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »

I could not decide if it was coincidence or that I have had Crohns for a kong time without knowing and yes the perimenopause was difficult to cope with and I just wondered if it sort of contributed to it kicking off

I am on HRT but only recently and its dealt with my aching bones and sweats etc the rest that I listed is what I'm dealing with now lol

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »

Hopefully the HRT will help with some more of your symptoms as time goes on.  DG x