Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Comparing doses between Oestrogel and patches- how?  (Read 2127 times)

Sarah2

Comparing doses between Oestrogel and patches- how?
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:30:46 PM »

Hi
I am on Oestrogel and have no plans to change but keep wondering how the dose I use compares in terms of low-medium-high compared with patches.

It seems easy enough to compare gel with pills because they are in 1mg and 2mg strengths and Oestrogel ( 2 pumps) is 1.5mgs per day.

But patches come in different mcgs and the tables here show something like 50mcgs over 24 hours. This seems a minute amount compared to 1.5mgs of oestrodiol in gel every 24 hours.

The main reason I'm asking is that I've managed to reduce my dose lately making a 4-week pump last 5 weeks, so that means I've reduced it by a quarter, making the daily dose less then 1mg.

Would this be the same as a low dose patch? I don't understand the measurements of patches because they are in micrograms, whereas tablets and gels are given as milligrams- and although I don't want to change I'm just being curious!!!

I may have to go back to the full usual dose though because my sleep is disrupted waking up a lot in the night and being very hot though not hugely sweaty.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:35:48 PM by Sarah2 »

Joyce

Re: Comparing doses between Oestrogel and patches- how?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

I don't know how it works myself. All I know is meno consultant said my 2 pumps of oestrogel was equivalent of 37.5 estradot patch. Don't know if that helps.

Sarah2

Re: Comparing doses between Oestrogel and patches- how?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:28 PM »

oh that's interesting- thanks!

I think my just under 2 pumps must be around 1mgs a day so that makes me feel less worried if I have to move back up to 2 pumps, as it's still a low dose.