Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 725016 times)

Kate50

Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #510 on: May 05, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

Have looked at your previous posts tinkerbelj loOKs like you using it for peri?
So not so clued up but if you weren't having periods these pains could be happening plus when I first started gel it took a few weeks to build up so was worse at first. Vertigo is something I can get on and off with meno I use a homeopathic remedy.  So with all the ups and downs it could trigger it.  I get it if too much progesterone in my system?  Got it this month with utrogestan.  DI'd you say in your old posts you were just taking 1 pump?

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #511 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

Hi kate50 yeah I am peri.oh the joys. ..not.  yeah they said start with one then up it to two if u feel u  need it. I was on femiston 2/10 before and I thought my ovaries were going to burst out all on their own and terrible bowel issues so takon this slow. Plus I am not going to take the utrogesterone this month well not day 15 anyway cuz I havr a special event coming up and want to enjoy it without potential side effects or a period. My own period was due 28thapril but never came so I  started the gel on 1st may. Only the second time my period has not come on time! Typical

Tempest

« Reply #512 on: May 05, 2016, 08:21:01 PM »

Hello! I'm new here and hope some of you lovely ladies maybe able to help. My first post here today on MM outlined my story of just starting Estrogel 2 pumps in the evening after going a full year without HRT following my oopherectomy. I had my hysterectomy when I was 36. I was 46 when I had my oopherectomy.

To be honest, I'm struggling. Hot flushes are a bit better, as is joint pain but the shakes and low mood and anxiety are still a killer! I've had everything else tested such as thyroid, fasting blood sugars and all of those are OK.

So I guess my two burning questions are: how long before the Estrogel really kicks in? I've been on it 29 days now. Is 2 pumps very low for someone in my position? Would splitting the dose to 1 pump AM and PM be better? Are inner thighs the best place to apply? Any help would very greatly appreciated! Thank you. I'm also thinking about consulting with Dr Currie about this - GP hasn't got a clue and my follow up is another 2 months away.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #513 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:53 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Tempest
I assume you are still in your 40s? Why did you have a one year break from HRT?
Having had a whole year without any oestrogen then it is going to take some time to build up the levels and really feel the benefits. I would give the 2 pumps per day at least another month and if flushes have not improved then go to 3 pumps per day and then split between morning and evening.  Some women swear by splitting the doses even on 2 pumps per day but I have never bothered.  We do store a certain amount of oestrogen so it shouldn't really be necessary to split the doses unless you do need to increase to above 2 pumps.  I would give things a bit more time - Oestrogel is one of the best ways to deliver oestrogen and the inner thighs are best.  If your flushes are gradually reducing then this shows it is working.
When it comes to anxiety and low mood, more oestrogen isn't necessarily the answer - I believe a range of measures need to be put together - this will include; good diet and exercise regime, plenty of good relaxation (maybe Mindfulness meditation) and if need be an AD/SRRI alongside.
Keep posting - we are here to support you.  DG x

Tempest

« Reply #514 on: May 05, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »

Hi and thank you, Dancinggirl!

The Consultant Gynae. who did my surgery isn't a fan of HRT and wanted me to manage without. He was also concerned as I've had serious life threatening allergies to various meds in the past (anaphylaxis), but when I actually managed to get an appointment at my local Menopause Clinic (who have been marvellous), they were appalled and said it shouldn't be a problem and that I should trial cautiously on 1 pump for a couple of days and if everything was OK, increase to 2 which I have.

I was actually perimenopausal for approximately 3 years before my surgery. To be honest, it's been total hell. My first GP wouldn't even consider that I may be perimenopausal despite having had a hysterectomy at 36 (I'm 47 now). She also said that the pain and swelling in my tummy at the time was 'anxiety related', but I knew it wasn't and was actually still under my Consultant Gynae., so I phoned his secretary myself and was able to see him. He performed an ultrasound and I had a complex cyst which was torsioned, and hence I had a bilateral salpingo oopherectomy 2 weeks later. Needless to say, I've now changed GP! My new GP is better, but still doesn't have much idea about menopause issues.

Thank you for your very kind advice about splitting the dose. When I spoke to the Consultant at the Menopause Clinic, she actually said if I need to increase dose to 3 pumps at my 3 month review, then that would be the time to split it, 1 pump AM, 2 PM so what you've said ties in with her advice.😊

My diet is very good and I take walking exercise every day, which is now somewhat easier as my joints are less painful which is a good improvement. I've also completely given up caffeine and eat no refined sugar.

Now stress IS a problem, as I think I am carrying a lot of baggage over how things have gone for me over the last few years with all this. I'm signed up for a course of CBT with my local CMHT starting later this month and will go in open minded, although I would prefer something focussing more on relaxation and mindfulness. I'm hoping it won't just be a series of booklets to fill in (I have been warned that this is likely from other folk who have been referred. I think the CBT offered is a bit 'one size fits everyone)!

Tempest

« Reply #515 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:29 PM »

Oh, and sorry! I forgot to say that prior to my attending the Menopause Clinic, my GP tried 3 different antidepressants. Fluoxetine caused total insomnia and uncontrollable anxiety, Sertraline caused my liver to become inflamed (I needed an emergency ultrasound for that one)! And finally, Citalopram caused Torsades, which made my heart rate increase dramatically within 20 minutes of taking a dose. So not good! This is one of the reasons my GP referred me to the Menopause Clinic and to CMHT, as we had pretty much exhausted all options with SSRI's and I can't take SNRI's as they block the action of the epinephrine in my epi pen auto injector, which would be catastrophic if I were to have an anaphylactic episode. Sorry, I'm a bit of a nightmare I'm afraid!😮

Dancinggirl

« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »

Tempest - sounds to me as though the Oestrogel may be your best route - especially as you are already seeing some improvement in the flushes.  Getting some CBT is also good - it may be a slow progress but I bet you are going to feel a good deal better in 3-6 months times when everything really kicks in.  I'd still stick with 2 pumps per day for a while. DG x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »

Would any of u lovely ladies know what causes cramps/ bowel issues with hrt. Is it the oestrogen or progesterone or just an imbalance?  I started on the gel 6 dats ago and the same symotoms as every other hrt have started. Lower pelvis cramping and a constant feeling of eh well having to poo. I would have always had these issues before my period but this is constant every time I  take any hrt. Will it settle down? ?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:33:16 AM by Tinkerbellj »

Hurdity

« Reply #518 on: May 06, 2016, 09:26:50 AM »

Hi Tempest - also you may well benefit from additional testosterone in your position, if oestrogen alone does not work or if you can't find the right dose. I wonder if your menopause clinic will consider this? The first indication of deficiency would be lack of libido so if this is the case for you then please ask - NICE Guidelines now suggest it can be considered for women off licence. it also helps with muscle pains ( if these are a problem) and general energy levels.

Hurdity x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »

Tempest at my meno clinic the cinsultant laughed in my face when u mentioned testosterone but at my review appt  months later her registrar had no issues with it at all! She asked me to try the gel combination for 3 months and if it didnt help she would give me it. So I  would just ask straight out and I had printed off the nice guidelines but didnt need them it is definitely mentioned in those good luck xx

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

Just realised it looks like I cant spell lol but in my defence I am usually typing with an 18month old on my knee  ;D

Tempest

« Reply #521 on: May 06, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »

Thank you so much, Tink and Hurdity! :)

Yes, the lovely lady Consultant said I could also add Testosterone and that we can discuss it at my 3 month review if there is no improvement in my libido. I could do with the increased energy too!

Dancinggirl - thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm getting used to the idea that this may take some time for me to see improvement as I have been without estrogen for so long. The lady Consultant said that she feels my estrogen receptors will now take some time to 'wake up' to estrogen again. I'm crossing everything in hope!!!😊

Just wanted to add, I had never heard of Professor Studd before so I checked out his website. Wow! What a guy! I really wish all healthcare professionals would take his ideas on board, especially as I have met a few ladies in my travels who were 'diagnosed' with mental health problems initially instead of menopause (me included - I was told I had developed an 'anxiety disorder'. Nope, GP wouldn't believe I might be in menopause at 46 despite having had my hysterectomy at 36)!😮

Cassie

« Reply #522 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »

Is the 18 mth yours Tinkerbell... ;)

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #523 on: May 06, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

Cassie.....yep sure is along with a 4 year old :)

Tempest

« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »

Ugh! Sorry ladies, but I need some more advice please if that's OK. I just don't know where I am right now! Today and yesterday I have been feeling increasingly tense and my mood is low, but not so bad that I want to cry. It's more a sense of 'impending doom'. Also very spotty for some reason! This hasnt been a problem before - my facial skin over the last year has actually been very dry and a bit flaky. Most of all, I don't like this tense feeling. It's better than some of the catastrophic lows I've had over the last few months,  but this just feels kind of 'weird' for want of a better word, as if I could 'lose it' at any moment but it doesn't peak.

Hubby is being very good and reckons it may just be that my body is saying 'hand on a minute, where the heck is this estrogen coming from'?! After all this time (I was on nothing for over a year following my BSO).

I am trying not to dwell on it too much but it's pretty hard! I realise over analysing probably just adds to it - I can't seem to stop thinking to myself - is this dose too high? Too low? What shall I do?!? Please if someone can, talk me down a bit and if you have any insights as to what may be going on at the moment, I would be so very grateful. Thank you, and sorry to be a pain!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 187