Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 187

Author Topic: utrogestan/estrogel support group  (Read 724365 times)

Hurdity

Re: utrogestan/estrogel support group
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »

Hi mmbecks - like Stellajane I was wondering where in meno you are and how old you are?

Six pumps is quite a high dose and did the consultant check whether you are applying it correctly in case you are not absorbing it properly?

The omly issue with too high a dose of oestrogen (where levels are "supra-physiological" - ie higher than normally found in the body) is that some women can develop a condition known as tachyphylaxis, whereby it ceases to have an effect and symptoms recur - so not so much a plateau but a reversal of the effects. As I understand it is most likely to occur with oestrogen implants and I can't comment on whether it has been observed in high dose gel users.

Here is some information about it - relating to implants (scroll down):
http://www.studd.co.uk/implants.php

At least your consultant is asking you to monitor closely what is happening to you. As you are under the care of a consultant then I presume things like thyroid has also been tested? Are you taking progestogen at some point or have you had a hysterectomy and don't need it?  Maybe if you are taking it, the consultant has also advised an increase in this to help protect the uterus?

Anyway hope you manage to reap the benefits soon without any side effects!

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2014, 05:58:26 AM »

Wow thats a lot of gel...I have been one and a half pumps for over 10 yrs never had a days symptoms, so I feel somewhat relieved if I hear that that is not always the case...what progesterone are you using?

Meggie

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »

I have been on Estrodose gel for 5 years and I am 63 years old.  I attempted to reduce the 1 pump I was using (small dosage as I have cysts in my breasts) but flushes came back with a vengance ......15-20 evil moments per day, so the doctor 'upped' the dosage to 2 pumps (1 on each arm) per day.  Now much more stable and don't consider coming off it for a while yet.

I don't need progesterone as I had a hysterectomy 36 years ago

Meggie

Liz

« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »

Currently been using Oestrogel for the last month and using 1 pump per day.  However, been experiencing spotting so is it possible the 1 pump dose is too low and my own cycle is kicking in underneath?  Am peri, age 46.  Not sure whether to stick it out at 1 pump or increase a bit?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »

Liz - can you just remind us what you are using for progesterone? Spotting might mean the womb lining has built up too much, however, you have only started HRT quite recently and I believe in peri stage your own hormones can be having an influence on breakthrough bleeding.  If your flushes are reduced and you are generally feeling good I wouldn't increase the dose of oestrogel without checking with the doc first.
If you have the Mirena then spotting for the first 3- 6 months is quite common.
DG x

Liz

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »

Hi DG - I'm using Utrogestan for days 15-26, been on the gel for around a month.  Didn't have the bleed after I stopped the Utro, got it about a week before I used it.  Perhaps it'll all settle down the next month or so?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »

It does sound as though your own hormones are still having an influence.  I'd just stick with what you are doing for at least 3 months and see if things settle.  Dg x

Liz

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2014, 11:59:47 AM »

Thanks DG - really appreciate your help.  Looking forward to the Multi-gyn arriving!  The Fluconazole has helped but things are still a bit uncomfortable.  Been reading lots of good reviews on the net about results women  have had with the Multigyn preventing recurring thrush.

mmbecks

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

Hi Hurdity - thanks for your response!  I'm not sure where I am in the menopause (haven't had a period for years - but did have a mirena coil) Blood tests have shown oestrogen of less than 18 and the consultant has said that I'm definitely menopausal!  All other things like thyroid are OK. I am 48.  I have had terrible night sweats for 10 years (which I could cope with) but chronic insomnia this last 11 months (which I can't!)  So now I'm doing the 6 pumps of oestrogel and 100g every day of Utrogestan.  I still don't have great nights but at least now I don't feel so ill during the day.  I will ask the consultant about tachyphylaxis - thanks! All sounds a bit scary.

donnacrichton

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 10:55:20 AM »

Wish I had found this post earlier. I was showing signs of low estrogen on 3 pumps and was advised to go to 4 pumps. I applied it all at once abd symptoms got worse. Someone on site suggested splitting the dose and has helped a bit. Still having tears and burning. Consultant had said i should be able to take 4 but said take it all at once which would explain why it didn't work. Git an appointment next week. I have lost the leaflet in beside the gel. Does it say in the leaflet about splitting the dose?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 01:36:36 PM »

Personally I think it would make sense to use 2 pumps at night and 2 in the morning if you are going to use that much. This is quite a high dose but I think some women may need it.  The transdermal route like Oestrogel is far more efficient so, in theory, I think less should be needed to be effective. I'm not sure what it says in the leaflet but I believe 4 pumps would be higher than any of the other combined HRT pills.
DG x

Linsey44

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »

Hi thought i would just add my experience.  I am 45 and in  surgical meno as of april this year.  Asked to be prescribed Utrogestan and Oestrogel, i use 2pumps day, doesnt relieve all symptoms but i have faulty BRCA2 gene and dont want to take more than that.

I actually stopped the utrogestan myself as i had hyster in may 13 but was taking it due to adonomyosis history.  Happy with oestrogel.

My cousin in america has had same surgery as i had to reduce her risk ascwell and she was prescribed evamist which is very similar product but in a spray as opposed to gel.

warwick01

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:13 AM »

Hi

I have a question re Utrogestran - I a have used for 3 nights but hen I pop it in my vagina it stings. Is his normal?

Also before starting te Utrogestran I noticed my first wee in the morning would leave me with a sting n my vagina, could this be the start of VA?

Thanks W

donnacrichton

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »

Hi after seeing my consultant I have also been put on 5 doses. I have also been given that maybe the oral contraceptive pill might be an option. Although the estrogen is synthetic it us 50 times stronger than hrt. I have ovaries shut down so producing no estrogen with Marina coil in. Just wondering how the lady who was trying 5 pumps was getting any relief x

warwick01

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »

Hi

Having just finished my first cycle of Utrogestran thought I would give my feed back.

Took 100mg at night vaginally (like this method) for 7 nights as I found I was not sleeping well and hot/sweating so much. Day 5 and having a really heavy period, was worries as I had read this form of prog was not as strong but having such a heavy period as made me feel better.

W
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 187